• Register Today It's free!

Truck starts and shuts off

J bryan

Reaction score
City, State
Ky
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 explorer sport trac
I have a 2001 ford explorer sport trac 4.0sohc i just replaced the ti.ing chains and oil pump i took it up the road about 2or 3 miles and noticed the oil pressure went to 0 then the truck shuts off after it sits for awhile it will start then shuts off right away i have no clue what went wrong

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you just had the oil pump replaced, and now you have zero oil pressure, I'd venture to say that something was done incorrect in the install of the new oil pump, or the new part failed.

DO NOT continue to try to run the engine with zero oil pressure, you will damage bearing surfaces, and shorten the life of your new timing components.

Is this DIY or done at a garage?

Diy the oil pressure was fine then just went to nothing

Would that make the truck not start and run because it will start but immediately turn off

If you just had the oil pump replaced, and now you have zero oil pressure, I'd venture to say that something was done incorrect in the install of the new oil pump, or the new part failed.

DO NOT continue to try to run the engine with zero oil pressure, you will damage bearing surfaces, and shorten the life of your new timing components.

Is this DIY or done at a garage?
Diy would that not let the truck start and run well it starts then shuts off immediately

The oil pressure switch itself has nothing to do with the truck starting and then turning off. If you actually have an oil pressure issue (zero/under 5 PSI) the gauge will show no oil pressure, but that would not cause the engine to turn off either, at least not until the engine seizes up. More likely you have a fuel or spark related issue. I'm thinking fuel, but you need to know the fuel pressure at the fuel rail to know for sure. It should be around 66-57 PSI on your truck..

BTW - After letting my '01 ST sit unused for several months, when I started it the oil pressure switch was apparently stuck and showed no oil pressure, It still ran quietly and drove just fine. Once the engine warmed up a bit the gauge started working again. That was over a year ago and this issue has not reappeared.

Tip: With the 4.0L SOHC engine, it's a good idea to drop the lower oil pan occasionally to check for broke curved pieces of plastic from the timing chain guides, which are curved and can block the oil pickup. Also check the oil pickup screen for debris and clean it if necessary.

Back