• Register Today It's free!

03 explorer xlt engine swap?

Mikedoesit

Reaction score
City, State
Okc,ok
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003, explorer, xlt
I pulled my bad motor out of my 03 explorer and bought a new motor from an 04 explorer xlt but from the looks of it im thinking its a flex fuel motor because the oil filter is smaller, fuel rail is different, fuel injectors have the clip on the side instead of the back and there are 2 hoses on top of header covers... Am I able to use this motor for my non flex fuel truck and if so what all do I have to change on the motor for it to work...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I believe you just swap all your parts to it. Computer and injectors may be the primary parts you need from your rig.

The oil filter is smaller because someone probably took it to a cheap oil change place. They use smaller filters so they can also use less oil. Over many vehicles, this saves them money. Why you do your own oil changes.

the blocks would be the same,
get your self a o-ring gasket set and replace the o rings on the injectors and the air intake.
I would get 2 new timing chain tensioner.

Are both these motors the same inside, like booth having balancers, I have heard some years don’t. Did the change the teeth count on the cam and crank to where might need different computer?

I believe you just swap all your parts to it. Computer and injectors may be the primary parts you need from your rig.

The oil filter is smaller because someone probably took it to a cheap oil change place. They use smaller filters so they can also use less oil. Over many vehicles, this saves them money. Why you do your own oil changes.
I have to put a new computer in it?

The block heads, internals and oil pan are all interchangeable. Strip the unit to a long block Long block - Wikipedia and swap everything from the old engine and install.

the blocks would be the same,
get your self a o-ring gasket set and replace the o rings on the injectors and the air intake.
I would get 2 new timing chain tensioner.
What would the new timing chain b needed for?

Thank you everybody for ur help I got the swap done I changed the fuel rails and injectors, cam covers I believe they are called ( black plastic covering the engine heads or cams behind power steering pump and on behind alternator) also changed oil filter adaptor and a sensor on the front of the motor and I believe that. Was it and went to start the car up and it started but after running it for around 1 min I noticed a little bit of smoke coming from either where the exhaust manufold connects to the exhaust or from the catalytic converter is it something that will stop smoking over time where is it something that I need a change before I drive .And will it be okay to drive it with it smoking

And da engine that was in my Explorer had a blown head gasket and set for so long that the engine seized up and there's also liquid dripping towards the back of the exhaust like in front of the back tire where looks like maybe a back Catylic converter would be

The water is normal, if it's just water. Should stop in a few minutes. The catyletic converters are at the front of the truck.

It was suggested that you replace the cam chain tensioners because they have an extremely high failure rate, and you have to pull the motor (or trans) to replace them. If they fail it usually makes the motor not wort h fixing.

No one can tell you about the smoke, because we have no idea where it’s coming from. Most likely it’s just something spilled burning off. Drive it and see if it clears up.

Back