4.6 intake manifold replacement. How to tell if I have heated PCV? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4.6 intake manifold replacement. How to tell if I have heated PCV?

r6bikerdave

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer 4.6 Limited
discovered a coolant leak between the thermostat housing and the upper intake manifold. After searching and reading on here, getting ready to replace my manifold this next weekend. The replacement Dorman manifold says without heated PVC, how do I know what I have? Also I have read that some people have been able to use that manifold even WITH heated PVC! I assume the coolant nipple next to the thermostat is for the heated PVC, but looking for some clarification before ordering the new part! Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

one other question that might be a twist on getting the right part....when I bought this explorer 3 years ago, the small one-man dealer said the engine had been replaced with a mustang engine.....any way to verify mustang or explorer? engine code stamp/sticker somewhere?

mustang engine is an iron block. Explorer is aluminum. All 4.6L Modular/Triton motors are the same. Except for intake manifolds. The older 4.6L have non-pi heads and cam, while 1999 and up Mustangs have pi heads and cams, I believe it was in 2000 and up that the tuck/suv 4.6L received the pi heads and cams.

Dave. Im not sure about the mustang eng but on my O2 limited I had similar questions. Basicall to see if u have the heated pvc look for a hose coming from the crossover by the thermostat and leading to the throttle body. If u have this it is a heated pvc. If there is a sensor on both sides of the aluminum crossover then its not. U can look up my olds posts on this too. I called and spoke to a dorman rep about part number 615-175. They told me the 175 would not work due to the height of the manifold. I bought one off amazon (& left a note on amazon saying it will work). And did find that there was no problem with the fit. The 175 comes with a cap over a unused port on pass side. Just left cap on and its still works great for me. The following is a post I made back when I did the job with a youtube link where I show exactly why they leak. Good luck. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=411066

I just replaced the intake on my '05 original owner 4.6 Limited w/190k.
#6 filled with coolant and shorted out plug/coil connection. Found gasket intact, but it and entire top of head was wet with coolant. Found piece of plastic missing in driver-side front coolant passage.
Will Ford reimburse me for this defective part?
I don't EVEN want to mention the spark plug that ejected out of the engine, or the weight that flew off the driveshaft, or the shifter boot that dried out and cracked, or the defective rear wheel bearings, or the whining rearend, or the trans that had to be rebuilt, or the headliner that drooped by the windshield! Other than those "little" problems, it's been a great vehicle! lol

those "little" problems???

pretty much happen with all vehicles.

I understand things wear out due to usage, but I'm sorry; rocketing spark plugs, airborne driveshaft weights, a noisy differential, and now a "defective" intake manifold are not "little" problems and are not "normal"!
My other vehicle is a 2003 G35 w/120k and the only thing I've had to replace aside from the battery, tires, and brakes was the belts!
- Of course that's a QUALITY vehicle!
I do like my "EXPLODER", so I'll just keep fixin her till she dies!

If you keep fixin’ her, she will never die!

Which, it seems, could be a blessing or a curse.

Back