Intake Manifold Options

HiImBrian

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
St. Petersburg, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer Eddie Bauer
Okay. After reading through dozens of threads I'm pretty sure my intake manifold is shot. I've seen people spend the money on OEM replacement and the Dorman counterpart, but has anyone looked into an aluminum or steel replacement to get rid of the plastic?

The 4.6 is a modular block so I'm assuming an intake manifold from a Mustang/F-150/Crown Vic/etc. will work? I would love a performance replacement but Trick Flow wants $900 for their Mustang manifold so f that.

The issue I'm running into is that the Mustang/F-150/Crown Vic/etc. manifolds that I'm finding look different. I'd like to spend less than $400 for one but I want to be sure it'll work first.

What do you guys think?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Go to Tousley Ford Parts and order the OEM, I'm glad I did. It's under 200.00 and comes with the sound/heat insulator underneath as well which I don't believe the dorman has. With the insulator, it's a little harder to get in place assuming you leave the EGR in place, but with patience, it goes in. I had no fit,ent issues at all.

Go to Tousley Ford Parts and order the OEM, I'm glad I did. It's under 200.00 and comes with the sound/heat insulator underneath as well which I don't believe the dorman has. With the insulator, it's a little harder to get in place assuming you leave the EGR in place, but with patience, it goes in. I had no fit,ent issues at all.

I'd like to go with the plastic as a last resort and replace it with an aluminum or steel one. I'm not concerned with the price as much as I am the strength and performance. I mean, I don't want to spend $900 but I'm comfortable with around $400.

That a LOT more of what I had in mind. A little worried about the fit though, but I have a 3" BL so I'm sure it'll be fine. So that'll just bolt on in place of our manifold/TB/intake?

I wish I could say it would be a 100% straightup swap, but I would be lying. I have no doubt that it would be straightforward, but you may have to tweak something here and there. Also it should clear a stock bodied Explorer and since you have a BL, you would be fine for sure.

Now that I think about it, you should PM Mounty03 because he is parting out his Mountaineer and I know he had a Hardballer intake on it.

Back