Fuel tank needed for my 2005 Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fuel tank needed for my 2005 Explorer

noreastcarnut

Reaction score
City, State
Rockport Massachusetts
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
Where can I get the best deal on a new fuel tank for my 2005 4.2 V8 Explorer Eddie Bauer?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The cheapest place would probably be a salvage yard. You could try "Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market" to search for a used one near you. If you are replacing the tank, you might want to think about a new fuel pump while you are at it.

OK, thanks. I think I want a new one. Who has the best price?

I picked up a used tank fir our 05 4.0 at a decent salvage yard here in NorCal for 80$.
It has the vapor canisters but nothing to do with the fuel pump. IIRC, 04-05 is what you’re after.

Thanks, guys, I guess I have to reach out to a nearby salvage yard.

Mbrooks420, that listing is for a Dorman X576-049. Dorman lists that tank as for a 2000 Ford Explorer 2-door, not for a 2005 4-door Explorer. Dorman does not make a tank for the 2002-2005 third generation Explorers.
The Ford part number is 4L2Z-9002-CC. FordPartsGiant.com and TascaParts.com both list this as discontinued and no longer available. It looks like the only "OEM" tanks are going to new/old stock parts that are left in some warehouse somewhere.
Maybe someone else sells a compatible tank, but I haven't found a listing for one.

5071AFA3-39A1-43F6-AABC-236D5BBE4744.jpeg

I can’t help it if a vendor lists a part wrong.

Ours is plastic. It had a small leak at the rear where the fill tube enters. Looked like it was hit from road debris or something. I found a proper gas tank repair epoxy kit that worked quite well.
Prior to that, I secured a used tank from a salvage yard. He mentioned an 04-05 would be a direct fit. Seems that the 02-03 had a different Fuel pump lock ring.
I don’t know if >06 is useable

Back