93 Explorer Eddie Bauer - Stock AMP (NEED HELP!) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

93 Explorer Eddie Bauer - Stock AMP (NEED HELP!)

Scorpius68

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Ford Explorer
So posted this outside of the audio section, so bringing it here to better track.

Issue: stock system head was replaced with a Pioneer DEH-21001b sometime back. the four speakers were upgraded on the doors as well. All sound nice.
The cargo speaker (woofer ) was missing so i ordered the speaker below. Plugged it in. nothing.

I've been into the radio (to get to the instrument lights) and so the HU has a 3rd party wiring that connected the radio to the stock harness. So good news nothing's been cut. I don't recall but pretty sure either something is plugged into the square connector for the amp, or it may be back there just empty.
Anyhow....need advice...here is what i'm thinking.

i think i have a solution. The amp i am going to assume works, as many many moons ago i removed the original speaker because it was torn. Pretty sure amp hasn't been toyed with.

This is the radio installed (aftermarket) and from what i recall there was a wider connector to the stock. (more on that below under the 'harness link). The good thing is someone installed the conversion wiring that goes from the factory adapter to the larger square pin area ont he back of this radio unit.
Radio (DEH-12001b)
pioneer deh-21001b - Bing images

Woofer - got this one, but i recall in another thread someone mentioned the 4ohm might overheat the amp, that the factory delivered was 6hm? will test to get it working as is...then order a 6 ohm to be safe once my 'plan' works (fingers crossed)
NEW 6.5" Subwoofer Speaker.Car stereo six.inch woofer.4ohm.Mid BASS.6-1/2".6.5in | eBay

Harness - This one say's it fits. So the square connector. No problem here, pretty sure that connector is loose in the dash, i'll just plug this right into it, then use the Y connector in the below link to drop 4 down to 2 RCA points on the radio. Now...the only question is hopefully this is all i need to do. I would assume the amp is already powered by the connector harness already attached to the radio, all that is lacking is sound which the square connector should resolve.
CAR RADIO STEREO PREMIUM SOUND WIRE HARNESS INSTALL PLUG AMP INTEGRATION 700604540246 | eBay

Harness 4 points of RCA down to two to connect to radio
KnuKonceptz Klarity RCA Cable Y Adapter 1 Male to 2 Female RCA Splitter Pair (2) 817069015797 | eBay

So curious while I await parts arrival. Think this will work and if not shed some light :)

Ok..so parts arrived and here is what i found.

Pulled the radio. Looks like there is a conversion cable like a crutch field system that connects the Pioneer to the standard sockets from the dash.

Confirmed that this does indeed connect to both the flat connector and the square one which i think is for the amp.

I had ordered some other connectors but not of that seemed to work out. So here is what i’m Thinking....

Since this radio uses both harness connectors, pretty sure the amp is in play. With the rear speaker (the 6.5 inch in the cargo rear) i’m Thinking perhaps a wire might be off or bad on the amp. So i’m Going to pull that side panel and see what i find. Any thoughts on what to check or maybe easier way for me to check before pulling this panel?

Also i’m Thinking since i saw the write up on how to set your amp with the voltmeter...i need to pull my door speakers and figure out how many ohms they are, then do the math and adjust the amp, (assuming it’s adjustable).

Anyhow...thanks for any help. I really want to get this speaker working and want to just keep stock wiring / amp unless it’s just bad.

Thanks!

Got everything pulled apart. Funny almost everything was unplugged from the silver box. The black box I assume is the amp. Only has the top plug plugged in.
I hooked it all up and immediately the sound system was louder. However the 6.5 speaker at the rear still didn’t work. I noticed the top plug into the silver box had only two wires so I continuity tested them to the speaker in question. All good.
Noticed when I plug and unplug the top plug from the silver box I get a momentary bump of the rear speaker then nada.
Wrong speaker? Bad silver box?

Back