Can't get my hatch open from the inside | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can't get my hatch open from the inside

Flashflood

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wyoming
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 ford explorer 94 xlt
So I need to replace my little spin handle to get my back tailgate to open but when I open the little plastic piece to get to open it one side of it looks broken I believe it won't open. But its right as you open it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Had to do the same on mine and go from the inside to open it. You will have to remove your back panel from the inside, and behind the plastic covering you will see two rods that go to the latches. They run horizontally. Pull those rods outward (or inward, forgot which way) both at the same time and it should open for you.

Kirk

This might be the same issue as in this thread:
1991 liftgate handle replacement

Unless the actuator on the handle has completely broken off, getting a new handle won't fix it. It might be that the metal struts that hold the rods Kirk mentioned above are bent out of place and need to be bent back so the handle actuator reaches them. If your handle spins around but doesn't catch on anything, take a look at those struts...

Well I have gotten my tailgate open now now it's just the fact that my new activator doesn't have enough reach to do anything can you help me there?

Like I said, the handle has to be able to reach the latch mechanism in order to make the latch work. You might have to just get in there with a crowbar and physically bend the metal structure back into place so the handle reaches them. So, you're not changing the position of the handle at all, but rather bending the structure back so it reaches where the handle is. That's what I had to do. Make sense?

I had to push to inside of the hatch center support towards the latch mech.

Kirk

Well I have gotten my tailgate open now now it's just the fact that my new activator doesn't have enough reach to do anything can you help me there?

Just an update I now can open my glass. But while trying to loosen a bolt to give me more leeway for bending the metal back in shape I broke the bolts head but thank you for all the people who helped me

I would have tried to help but honestly I have not had that problem yet so I didn't know what to tell you hahaha
I have had many other problems that I could help with, that was just not one of them.
Glad you got it figured out, sorry to hrpear about your rear glass.

Back