Get what you pay for: front timing guide fail <11K miles | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Get what you pay for: front timing guide fail <11K miles

08EddieCA

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
08 & 03 X (Eddie B & XLS)
I cut corners and I'm paying the price. Only install the best. It's just not worth all the work to install anything else. 10,800 miles on this timing kit - which I won't name but it's not well known at all, unless you buy key parts on eBay. My bad. Triangle part of front guide broke off.

Started rattling on start up this morning. Pulled valve cover and discovered the source of the rattle. Right valve cover comes off in the morning.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wow,That must of sucked big time!
Yes, when it comes to the engine, I insist on OEM.
Hope the re-job is good to you.

Wow what are the odds this post appears the same day I have same issue. My 2003 Eddie Bauer just rolled 200k and I don't know if the timing chain job has ever been done. I am wondering if anyone has an idea on what I should expect the repair bill to be for timing chain job? Also should I expect any collateral damage?

I drove it 20 miles to get it home after it started the insane rattling noise. Got it home and fished two pieces out. Would I be nuts to consider driving it to shop on half a guide on driver's side?

IMG_20190707_144143993.jpg

phaley. Do not drive. It would be nuts. If that chain slips a couple of teeth bent valves will result. 200k that's pretty good on those chains. Are the the original ones?

I don't know if they have been replaced before. Truck had 160k when I bought it. And no I wouldn't drive it after knowing the guide is broken.

Update: Took most of the motor apart last night. Right head rear guide is fine. Front of the motor looks fine. Going to drop lower oil pan when I'm done with the repair. It's a shame I had to dump the coolant and soon the oil as both were just flushed/replaced. There is a mystery piece of guide material right under the crank. Can't find my star ratchet to loosen the primary Jackshaft sprocket. I'll be walking to the local hardware store this morning. What a hassle... To add to my misery, I boxed in my wife's explorer without realizing it...

View media item 54378View media item 54379View media item 54382

Update: Front cassette and chain replaced. Timing cover and water pump installed. Hope to have it running tomorrow. I plan on spinning the motor in the morning to listen for any interference. I had difficulty getting the front cassette down through the head. The snap ring was removed and the cassette was then reassembled and bolted into place = PITA.. Expectation is to have the motor completed tomorrow and pull it out of the driveway for a spin around the block.

View media item 54384

Hi
Just as a FYI, these motors tend to wear out the jackshaft bearings and this leads to a slight misalignment of the timing chains. I've see rear jackshaft bearing wear and the rear chain then snaps as it is not aligned properly. Make sure that is not the case here or you will have guide and or chain failure again. The jackshaft bearings can be punch out and pressed in yourself.

Back on the road. The cheap non motorcraft tensioners need to be replaced with oem or Cloyes ASAP due to Slight rattle on first start up.

After 200k I changed the original fuel filter. What a huge difference in pedal response. I am going to cut open the original filter tomorrow is in it.

Back