Radio stays on when truck shut down... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Radio stays on when truck shut down...

Recoil Rob

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT
2 years I had the DOOR AJAR warning and ended up replacing the drivers 1L2Z-14018-AB jamb switch.

When working properly, if the radio was on when I turned the ignition off it would stay on until I opened and closed the drivers door and then shut off. Now I must turn the radio off manually.

I started having DOOR AJAR problems again, the alarm going off, lights staying on, etc. Diagnostic tells me it's now the passenger side switch. Which I will replace.

Will the passenger switch affect the radio operation?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes. Any one of the switches can cause the radio to stay on. That's a good indication the switch is bad.

Interesting -- I just replaced my passenger door front switch with the same part number you're showing. Yet the drivers door one is about $52, and the passenger front one is about $24. Yet, as I hold the package now, the same part number you show is on it -- from the Ford dealer.

Everywhere I look (except Ford) shows them as both sides the same. I went through 3 of those "Check to see if this fits your vehicle" things, Ebay, Amazon and Autozone, all said it fits both sides.

FWIW, I have replaced both front door switched and the radio still stays on.

I have not experienced this issue myself but I would think that this system is integrated into the courtesy light wiring. Looked at my schematics and found difficult to follow as it also changed part way through the year. Check to see if it eventually turns off by itself. If I stop my explorer but do not exit the vehicle the radio stays on but eventually goes off after maybe five minutes. If you determine that that function still works and all the door switches are o/k I would be tempted to just leave it alone and just turn off the radio as you are doing.

Back