• Register Today It's free!

Remote start options.

Stangfire

Reaction score
City, State
East Selkirk, Manitoba, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Exploer XLT, 4.0L
I have a 2003 Explorer 4.0L auto. Can I simply buy an inexpensive remote start and install it myself?

It does NOT have an immobilizer, alarm or anything. 100% stock.

Any special adapters, bypasses, surprises I should prepare for?

Be prepared to:

Remove steering column covers
Kick plate
Lower dash panel (right where your knees are)
Removing the driver seat
Laying on your back and contorting into extremely uncomfortable positions for hours
Cramming your hands into extremely tight spaces
Having no room to actually put the PATS Bypass Module and the Remote Start Module ANYWHERE sane...

It *can* be done. Major PITA. I have my modules stacked and loosely zip tied to the steering shaft assembly. Not really happy with it being there but it's the only place I could put the modules. I went all out and tied in the door locks, arm/disarm, trunk release, and defrost on/off. It would save a good deal of time and frustration to do only the bare minimum for the remote start.

Be prepared to:

Remove steering column covers
Kick plate
Lower dash panel (right where your knees are)
Removing the driver seat
Laying on your back and contorting into extremely uncomfortable positions for hours
Cramming your hands into extremely tight spaces
Having no room to actually put the PATS Bypass Module and the Remote Start Module ANYWHERE sane...

It *can* be done. Major PITA. I have my modules stacked and loosely zip tied to the steering shaft assembly. Not really happy with it being there but it's the only place I could put the modules. I went all out and tied in the door locks, arm/disarm, trunk release, and defrost on/off. It would save a good deal of time and frustration to do only the bare minimum for the remote start.

Thanks. Maybe I'll pay for someone to install it, lol. I don't need all the bells and whistles. Just want to be able to start it from the house.

Back