• Register Today It's free!

Transmission?

ohiodisneydad

Reaction score
City, State
Middletown, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Explorer XLT
I posted over the summer about my transmission having issues. Long story short, I had to have the transmission rebuilt. It actually shifts better now than it did when I got it. But I'm having some other issues. I hope someone can give me some advice.

There are intermittent times when you are driving and stop at a stop sign or redlight, and take off the vehicle barely moves. It's like transmission does not downshift to low. It doesn't matter how much gas you give it, the vehicle barely moves. But if you manually shift the vehicle into first it will go. Of course you have to shift it through to drive. Once you do that, the transmission shifts fine. This has happened three times.

I have no codes showing on the dash. I've taken this back to the transmission shop twice now. The shop owner himself is working on it and he's taken it apart each time I've brought it in and he said the transmission still looks great. His only thought is it is electrical. He mentioned an AC condensation tube that runs down by the transmission that has been known to dump condensation into the transmission housing. He said he checked that too and there are no issues there.

I do know I need to still install a new passenger side hub assembly but I'm not certain that is causing the issue.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you coming to a complete stop, or almost stopped?
What engine-transmission (V6-5speed or V8-6speed)?

V6. It happened to me after a complete stop. Twice happened to my wife and I'm not certain on the stop

I would actually suspect the shifter assembly or linkage. I know If I shift mine down out of drive into 3rd, the same thing happens to mine, which has also been rebuilt (dunno if thats relevant, but thought I would mention it) Maybe your shifter is just out of adjustment enough to allow it to slip down far enough to engage 3rd....

I would actually suspect the shifter assembly or linkage. I know If I shift mine down out of drive into 3rd, the same thing happens to mine, which has also been rebuilt (dunno if thats relevant, but thought I would mention it) Maybe your shifter is just out of adjustment enough to allow it to slip down far enough to engage 3rd....

OK. I'll swing by the repair shop and see if the shifter assembly needs adjusted.

It happened again today to my wife after picking our daughter up at school. This time it was while moving. She was in the line to leave the school and not traveling very fast. The school resource officer stops traffic so the parents can leave so as she started to leave the lot Explorer would not pick up speed.

On the side of the transmission, there is MLPS module. It may be defective.

Are videos permitted to upload? I have two so far to show what this thing is doing.

On my 06 (long gone), I discovered that the AC drain was flooding the tranny electrical connector and causing really weird tranny behavior. Once that was fixed it never happened again.

It wasn't leaking into the tranny, but was shorting out the connector.

On my 06 (long gone), I discovered that the AC drain was flooding the tranny electrical connector and causing really weird tranny behavior. Once that was fixed it never happened again.

It wasn't leaking into the tranny, but was shorting out the connector.

Repair shop owner mentioned that being an issue with Explorers as well. He said he checked the AC drain and it did not appear to be draining onto the connector.

On the side of the transmission, there is MLPS module. It may be defective.
@Explorer_PL @ohiodisneydad

What is MLPS module? My thoughts here center around the Transmission Range Selector Switch, TRSS, which is fastened with two screws on the left side of the transmission case. If it is slightly loose, vibration may jiggle it out of position, confusing the solenoids within. Checking it is very easy. imp

Back