Why? | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Why?

The pre oiler koda mentioned in action

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The labor for doing all of the front stuff, and the one external rear tensioner, is a good eight hours I'd guess for a decent home mechanic. The rear is of course pulling the engine or trans, then maybe an extra hour for the timing cassette(with the front work).

Got it. That answers my question. Now another... are there any reliable reman crate motors out there in this 4.0 sohc form factor?

Got it. That answers my question. Now another... are there any reliable reman crate motors out there in this 4.0 sohc form factor?

Is there a pre Oiler kit that is specifically well suited to this motor?

My chains started to rattle at 120k or so (SOHC). I drove it to 202k before I decided to take care of it. Engine was still strong, but it sounded like it had marbles in it. Pulled the motor, and it was toast. Tensioner was fully deployed, plastic guides were broken. Surprised the chain didn’t jump teeth.

You can replace the timing parts, but then you’ve still got a tired motor. I swapped in a long block out of a wrecked 2012 Ranger 4x4. Engine had 36k on it. Paid about $1000 from LKQ. Runs great.

My 5R55E trans ‘went’ at 140k. Torque converter wasn’t locking up, and I had a broken band. Had it rebuilt for $1800. They did the Ford updates. I have 160k on it since the rebuild without a hiccup. Trucklet has 298,000 and going strong as hell.

I love these things. I just bought another—a 5.0L. They’re simple, reliable, easy to work on (well...mostly).

You can replace the timing parts, but then you’ve still got a tired motor. I swapped in a long block out of a wrecked 2012 Ranger 4x4. Engine had 36k on it. Paid about $1000 from LKQ. Runs great.
:chug:
That's almost the exact thing I did with my 2003 Explorer 2dr. Sport, but with a 2007 Ford Mustang long block with 40k on it. Best thing I ever did, with no problems and a very quiet running 4.0. :)

I serviced the timing parts of my 99 SOHC when I bought it, at 77,450 miles. It still ran fine when the trans died at 152k. Now I'm going to do all of the timing parts given the transmission out, that should keep the engine running fine for a long time more. Top level oil is key for those SOHC engines, take good care of it, and the timing issues are not so bad.

Back