• Register Today It's free!

Blizzaks on my Sport

bigmoose15

Reaction score
City, State
Cambridge, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 ExSport
I just put my winter setup on the vehicle and thought i'd share a pic.

Wheels - 18x9 '00 Cobra Replicas - $360 shipped, discount tire direct
Tires - Bridgestone Blizzaks 245/60R18 - 3000 miles used - $280 on CL
TPMS sensors - Schrader TPM116 - $120/set at rockauto
Local Mount and lifetime balance - $120

$880 for the total package. I was looking at $1300+ on tirerack for a similar setup new.

2013-11-25%2008.41.05.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Good deal and looks good too !! , Could always get them powdercoated after you need a new set of tires , that way you know the winter will not take its toll on the wheels ! .

Good deal and looks good too !! , Could always get them powdercoated after you need a new set of tires , that way you know the winter will not take its toll on the wheels ! .

I thought about that but didn't want to put in the effort. I figure once the finish is trashed after a season or two i'll just sand them down and paint them.

^ That would work too lol .

Blizzaks are good on ice/snow but will not last on bare roads due to soft compound. I had a set on a GT Stang, they lasted one season.

Blizzaks are good on ice/snow but will not last on bare roads due to soft compound. I had a set on a GT Stang, they lasted one season.

How many miles do you drive in the winter? I've always had at least 15k miles before they hit the wear markers(55%) which for me is 3 good seasons. even after 55% wear they are way better than all seasons, just not as good as new.

yeah as mentioned how many miles are you driving? I had blizzaks on my 00 HD truck, I'd put them on once temps were below 40* and snow was in the forcast. I'd run them for about 4 months out of the year, and they barely had any wear. I easily could have used those tires for 20k miles if not more worth of winter driving.

The whole point of snow/ice tires is they have to be a soft compound, because in the freezing cold temps, they're not all that soft anymore, but still softer than a normal compound that would then be rock hard in freezing cold temps. If you're driving on snow tires in warm temps then you're going to kill them fast.

Trouble was that there were only a couple of bad snowfalls that lasted a couple of days until all hyways were cleared, then constant dry pavement driving. I put about 9K miles on them till they were toast. I even had them replaced for free when I called the regional sales manager.

If you have constant snow conditions they are good, but not for a couple of storms, then dry southern ontario driving. If it's real bad out, I stay home, no point getting in a accident after being stuck in a storm for hours! :D

yeah as mentioned how many miles are you driving? I had blizzaks on my 00 HD truck, I'd put them on once temps were below 40* and snow was in the forcast. I'd run them for about 4 months out of the year, and they barely had any wear. I easily could have used those tires for 20k miles if not more worth of winter driving.

The whole point of snow/ice tires is they have to be a soft compound, because in the freezing cold temps, they're not all that soft anymore, but still softer than a normal compound that would then be rock hard in freezing cold temps. If you're driving on snow tires in warm temps then you're going to kill them fast.

IMHO, with 4x4 all-seasons work just fine in the snow. I think the only way I'd put dedicated snow tires on my Ex would require moving to the mountains. Blizzaks work pretty awesome in the snow but are pretty soft and will wear fast compared to A/S tires. 15-20k miles sounds about right. I've seen people who drive the canyons daily burn up a set in a season. Lots more wear and tear going around curves all the time. I will add, I worked at a Discount Tire in Colorado for a few years while I was in college. I'm still a bit of a tire guy... :)

IMHO, with 4x4 all-seasons work just fine in the snow. I think the only way I'd put dedicated snow tires on my Ex would require moving to the mountains. Blizzaks work pretty awesome in the snow but are pretty soft and will wear fast compared to A/S tires. 15-20k miles sounds about right. I've seen people who drive the canyons daily burn up a set in a season. Lots more wear and tear going around curves all the time. I will add, I worked at a Discount Tire in Colorado for a few years while I was in college. I'm still a bit of a tire guy... :)

I prefer more than "just fine". I like having the superior lateral traction and braking performance in snow and cold dry roads compared to all seasons. Snow tires are not for everyone. I like the ability to drive to the mountains in a storm to hit the slopes.

I can verify on my Sport the TPMS auto learned the new sensors. I had Schrader brand sensors from tirerack.com installed. I lowered the pressure on one tire down to 20 PSI and the warning popped up after about a minute of driving.

I agree with Bigmoose15

The other issue besides your confidence with all seasons is the legal aspects of an motor vehicle incident.

Check your Motor Vehicle Regulations because some areas require the use of a SNOW/ICE tire with the Snowflake emblem on the sidewall.

I know its law in the Province of Quebec, not sure about the northern US states.

The other concern is if your involved in an winter weather related motor vehicle incident, and you had all season tires your likely to get a ticket.

Or a higher percentage of FAULT when the adjusters review the incident.

In our mountain areas the signs clearly state WINTER TIRES ONLY, Police will turn you around. Im sure its similar in most areas across North America.

In my area if it snows and your involved in an incident, you get "Drive Contrary to Road Conditions" and "Vehicle Improperly Equipped for Weather/Road Conditions"

Those two fines end up just under the cost of four snow tires.

Sgt1411, I've seen 4WD + snowtire restrictions on canyon roads outside Salt Lake City, but nothing here in the northeast US. I don't know of any restrictions around here for tires.

The way I look at it is the net cost of snow tires is half of my insurance deductible. So if they save me from going in a ditch or hitting a guard rail they are paid for twice.

As far as fitting 17" wheels on the sport, i can see it being possible with the right wheel and being super tight. With 18" wheels, you do have a choice of wheels without the worry if they will fit.

i prefer more than "just fine". I like having the superior lateral traction and braking performance in snow and cold dry roads compared to all seasons. Snow tires are not for everyone. I like the ability to drive to the mountains in a storm to hit the slopes..

lol.

except 4x4's and all-seasons only help you for accelerating. They do nothing for you with cornering or braking.

They aren't referred to as 'snow' tires much anymore because the name is misleading as you have proven in your post. Winter tires is the preferred name now because snow is only part of what they were built for. If the average temp stays above 43 F where you are then you should be okay.
If not then so called all seasons will not perform as they should. The rubber in them begins to stiffen at 43 F and it gets worse as the temp drops. So even on a cold bare road you will not have close to the traction/performance that a true Winter tire will offer you. That is one reason many insurance companies now give you a discount on your premium if you use 4 Winter tires.

Peter

I did Blizzak and the first snow they were great will report back when we get to 5K on them.

I did Blizzak and the first snow they were great will report back when we get to 5K on them.

You will be happy, I bought them 4 years ago and mounted them on PIU wheels. Those tires in combination with the AWD system are amazing in the snow.

Back