16' Explorer Sport Parking Brake Adjustment? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

16' Explorer Sport Parking Brake Adjustment?

Kyle Robson

Reaction score
City, State
Sandpoint, Idaho
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Ford Explorer Sport
Looking for some help/advice. My 16' Explorer Sport is averaging 11 MPG and my brakes were suspiciously worn the last time I got my tires changed causing me to replace the pads. I have noticed that the E-Brake (P-Brake) is almost already engaged before you press the pedal. I am THINKING this is connected. Anyone out there know how I can figure out if the brake needs to be loosened?

Any advice is welcome.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The ebrake on my '15 travels several inches before it's fully engaged. Seems like maybe your ebrake is hanging up somewhere and not disengaging all the way. It would explain your crap gas mileage. Brakes are probably dragging.

Don't mistaken the tightness of the parking brake pedal of brake dragging. Go to YouTube and look for FordTechmakuloco channel and he has a video titled "are your brakes dragging". That is likely your issue.

Welcome to the Forum Kyle.:wave:
From what I can recall, it seems that the parking brake doesn't have much travel, so that may be normal. How many miles are on the brakes/vehicle?
You may want to check out this thread; Ford Explorer: Are Your Rear Brakes Dragging... Most Likely Yes!

Peter
Thanks for the info. Just over 55,000 miles. I bought it certified pre-owned and having to replace the brakes 6 Mo. after purchase leads me to believe something is up with the brakes. Finding how much strength it takes to press the E-brake leads me to believe that it is the E-brake that is the culprit. i am not a mechanic so am hoping to find a quick way to either confirm or deny that is the issue.

The ebrake on my '15 travels several inches before it's fully engaged. Seems like maybe your ebrake is hanging up somewhere and not disengaging all the way. It would explain your crap gas mileage. Brakes are probably dragging.

Thanks for the info. Just over 55,000 miles. I bought it certified pre-owned and having to replace the brakes 6 Mo. after purchase leads me to believe something is up with the brakes. Finding how much strength it takes to press the E-brake leads me to believe that it is the E-brake that is the culprit. i am not a mechanic so am hoping to find a quick way to either confirm or deny that is the issue.

I agree with xlt03.

Also, how many miles are on your Sport and have you ever replaced rear pads?

What were the pad measurements when you purchased it 6 months ago?
I think 55k miles is relatively normal for rear brakes in these vehicles.
My rears went ~50k miles and the fronts are still around 50% @ 85k miles.
I think the rear brake bias is more than in the old days.

Have you ever noticed the hot brake smell?

IIRC, the parking brake is a drum type with shoes instead of pads. Being a drum brake, several sharp applications of the parking brake while in moving in reverse should adjust the shoes to the proper clearance.

There is no relation between the parking brake and the normal brake system. (Thats intentional, btw).

The parking brake in the 5th gen is not a drum inside the rotor. There is a mechanical mechanism in the caliper.

Any update Kyle?

Peter

Have you ever noticed the hot brake smell?

IIRC, the parking brake is a drum type with shoes instead of pads. Being a drum brake, several sharp applications of the parking brake while in moving in reverse should adjust the shoes to the proper clearance.

There is no relation between the parking brake and the normal brake system. (Thats intentional, btw).

To clarify this answer with regards to the 4th generation:
braking in reverse does NOT adjust parking brake shoes. This adjustment must be made by removing the disk and adjusting the adjuster manually.

For 5th generation according to Jade, the parking brake shoe system is not used.

Back