• Register Today It's free!

Bolt on Mod's

stang95

Reaction score
City, State
Tarpon Springs, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 xlt
Need to change signature, but as of now I have a 99 xlt w/36k miles. I know I can put the "tried n true" K-n-N air filter on, but what else is there for this wimpy 6banger. I even had thoughts of getting a true dual exhaust installed. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. BTW,,,searched through all 30 pages and found out some good information ref. my explorer. :D :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You are on the right track. The KKM or cutting your stock airbox is a good way to get more air into the engine. Also, an aftermarket exhaust is a good choice too. If you get duals, try to stay 2 1/4" or 2 1/2" pipes to minimize torque loss. A peformance computer chip is a great mod too. Basically, to get more power, you have to get more air and fuel into the engine, then get the spent exhaust out, as efficiently as possible. The intake will get the air in, the chip will help the cpu with adding fuel, etc. Other than NOS, a supercharger, or major engine work (cam, heads, etc) thats about all of the "cheap" mods you can do.

Thnx. Basically, all the same mods that I have done to my mustang i can do the the "exploder." You know which company that offers a chip for the explorer? The exhaust and air filter I can handle. Now if i could just find a company that makes an a-pillar gauge package so I can hang some aftermarket oil pressure/water temp gauges Id be happy,

MAN,,,that was quick. Thanks much.

Originally posted by stang95
You know which company that offers a chip for the explorer? The exhaust and air filter I can handle.

There's a guy on here making custom chips. His name is Brian. Do a search for "Apten". Thats the name of the chips

Another place for gauge pods

Dakotal Digital

They also have pretty sweet digital gauges

Back