TO DRIVE OR TO OVERDRIVE...THAT IS THE QUESTION | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

TO DRIVE OR TO OVERDRIVE...THAT IS THE QUESTION

SPORTCRAZIE

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
WESTCHESTER,N.Y
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 SPORT
OK THIS MAY SOUND LIKE A SILLY QUESTION BUT IT'S ONE ME AND BUDDYS CAN'T SEEM TO AGREE ON.DO YOU DRIVE IN OVERDRIVE JUST ON HIGWAYS OR WHAT?WHEN YOU START THE TRUCK UP THE OVERDRIVE IS ON RIGHT? SO WHY WOULD YOU TURN IT OFF? FOR AROUND TOWN? DOES IT SAVE GAS?WHAT'S BETTER ON OR OFF?WE CAN'T SEEM TO AGREE MAYBE YOU GUYS OR GALS CAN HELP ME.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I turn OD off in only a few instances:

*If I'm towing and want to manually downshift to third (fourth in yours) for more power or engine braking.
*If I'm otherwise on the highway and want engine braking.
*If I'm cruising at around 45-60 mph and the tranny keeps shifting in and out of OD excessively

So basically leave that button alone most of the time ;)

:bounce: THANX ALOT YOU'VE BEEN A BIG HELP!!

Overdrive definetly helps on fuel economy by lowering engine RPM's. However, you do not want it to be going in and out of overdrive(searching) as this will damage your tranny. Vehicle speed, hills, throttle position and towing all are factors of whether or not your transmission will shift into overdrive. So definitely leave it on unless it is searching for the right gear in which case I would turn it off.

Sportcrazie2002, What they said.......
Also you might want to use small case as all CAPS is usually regarded as shouting.

eh? I rarely drive w/ overdrive on lol. I'm not doing anything but losing gas $$ right?

so if overdrive lowers ur rpm's, id assume you want to take it off when racing / at the tracks?

At WOT, mine doesn't shift into overdrive until about 95 mph. So it doesn't matter if you leave it on or off. However, it's better to leave it off just in case you let off the gas so you don't go into OD.

i leave mine in drive most of the time, the only time i put it in o/d is when im on the freeway and know ill be able to do 55+ for some distance before having to slow down again. do you guys shift between the two whil moving? im afraid to do it over about 30mph because it makes a loud clunk if i go from o/d bakc down to drive if im moving faster than about 30.

O/D doesn't matter very much since it will only kick in above 35 MPH IIRC. This truck sees a lot of low speed driving, and then steady highway driving where it can stay in O/D. A lot of heat is built up when it shifts into O/D, but it saves a LOT on fuel. Keep it on.

Now it does NOT help you in racing. You guys don't seem to understand. Think of it as an entirely different gear (Even though I believe on Ford it's a seperate band) that only kicks in at higher speed. It doesn't make you faster or slower.

Back