Mustang 5.0 Exhaust Sound on an Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mustang 5.0 Exhaust Sound on an Explorer

MOUSIN

Reaction score
City, State
Down South
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer Sport
Anyway to get the Mustang 5.0 sound, or close to it on my X? Short of doing a 5.0 engine conversion

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well a 5.0 would help, To be honest, I havnt heard any 4.0s that sound that good to me...

Nor have it..

Never happen without a 5.0L engine, however you can make your 4.0L sound pretty nice!

Since yours is a 97 sport I assume you have the OHV 4.0L.

A great sounding setup on that truck is:

KKM filter or similar open element/cold air intake
Remove the air silencer/baffle from the intake

Get yourself a Flomaster 50 series 2.5" single in/out muffler and have a local shop bend up a 2.5" single exhaust from the cat back.

I have all the above plus the addition of JBA headers, a high flow 2.5" aftermarket cat, and a 2.5" pipe in front of the cat. It's no Mustang sound but its decent for a 6 cyl........nice and throaty. Oh and I have a Flopro muffler, a little more straight through design to it than the flowmaster but the flowmaster is the most popular muffler out there because it has a great sound.

FYI: you can get a nice deep throaty exahaust just by dropping in a K&N filter and replacing your stock muffler with a Flomaster.......

Good luck!

you cannot, under any circumstances, get a V6 to sound anything like a 5 liter. you can make it sound decent, however. headers and a flowmaster or Mac will make it sound pretty tough..... but it wont sound anything like a 5 liter.

If what you are after is just "close to it" then what JamesT described can get you there. Get it done by the shop so there's no exhaust leak anywhere. Leaks ruin the deep rumbling sound.

Originally posted by 410Fortune

A great sounding setup on that truck is:

KKM filter or similar open element/cold air intake
Remove the air silencer/baffle from the intake

Good luck!

ok how do i go about removing the air silencer?

and what is the inside diameter of the stock exhaust pipe/muffler on a 92 explorer?

Yeah and where abouts is it on the SOHCs? (97xl if it matters)

Well i may sound crazy BUT!!!. I went the the 4-wheel Jamboree all truck nationals in Bloomsburg PA and while sitting around hanging out with my cousins drinkin a few, we heard a truck start up. That damn thing sounded seriously like a 5.0L mustang. We were so confused we had to check it out. It turned out to be GET THIS a 2.8L S-10 blazer. The guy put headers, coustom made an H-pipe with no cats, 2 flowmaster delta 40s and 2 tails out to the corners of the truck. I think you can get it to sound like one, but it may depend on the motor, and your exhaust setup. My 2.8 blazer had a stock exhaust and in no way sounded the way my X did stock. My X had a sorta Chevy Berretta tone to it, a true V-6 sound. You may have to get rid of the cats all together but it might not pass inspection, might not sound like a 5.0l mustang, and may throw a check engine light. I know this sounds like a load of BS but it's true.

i believe you, but that is at idle/start-up/low rpms. i guarantee you, when he romped on the 2.8 and it passed 4000rpms, it did not sound like a V8. :)

i believe you, but that is at idle/start-up/low rpms. i guarantee you, when he romped on the 2.8 and it passed 4000rpms, it did not sound like a V8.
Yep at idle it will sound good. Anything after that it will sound like a tin can rolling across a parking lot.

I KNOW HOW TO MAKE YOUR TRUCK SOUND LIKE A 5.0 STANG!!! Follow these instructions to a T and it will sound perfect...... First go out and buy a tape recorder right? Then go to radio shack for a loudspeaker. Then find a buddy with a 5.0 stang and tape the exhaust revving. Then just find some way to wire that all into the TPS and find power for it and you are set!!! Whaaaala, 5.0 sounds from a V-6 X. lol.

Back