A/C not working

Dre

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Chicago
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 FPIU
Did anyone have this same experience? When I switch A/C to ON nothing happens except for clicking noise that comes out of the relay box. System is fully charged. Could it be that clutch went bad on compressor? Other electric related problems?

Thanks,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks, I hope this helps. I've been thinking about taking my truck to the dealer to check it. I'll give it a try today. I would not worry about freon since this is the new system.

Thanks again,
Dead Link Removed

------------------
Andre Hryn
94 Limited
http://www.inter-kiosk.com/Explorer/

Yippy!!! Got it. It was a bad switch after all. THANKS!! Dead Link Removed
At this time it's too late to get it anywhere so I'll just wait till Monday and call my friendly friend at the dealer's parts counter. I feel a lot better now.
Now, how do I replace it though without evacuating the system? How is it possible???

Thanks,

Threr are a couple of things that could cause this. First, easiest and cheapest is to check the low pressure cutout switch. This is located on the reciver/dryer. To test it, start the engine and turn on the A/C. Remove the connector from the low pressure switch and, with a jumper wire, bridge the two connecters on the harness. If the A/C kicks in the low pressure switch is bad. It is possible to replace it withought evacuating the freon. If it still doesen't work, using a testlight check for power at the clutch with the A/C on. No power means you are loosing contact somewhere, go back to low pressure switch and test for power on both sidea with the A/C on. Continue until you locate whatever might be the problem. If it doed have power, It is most likely the clutch, and it will need to be replaced. A telltale sign that the clutch is going/gone is the presence of a red dust covering the front of the compresser and many of the surrounding objects.

Hey Andre- The exact same thing is going on with my A/C. Let me know how/when you get it fixed. I haven't brought it anywhere to get it checked because I am scared of what it might cost to fix...

------------------
1992 Explorer Sport 2WD A4LD

So far I believe the problem is the Low Presure switch that's on the evaporator. I did disconect the plug off that switch and bridged the wires on the plug and guess what, yeah, the A/C kicked in. I'll pick-up the switch in a few minutes from the dealer. I think it's about $20.00 retail. I'll let you know later since I won't be able to replace it till tomorrow.

Later,

------------------
Andre Hryn
94 Limited
http://www.inter-kiosk.com/Explorer/

from mrboyle:
"the clutch is going/gone is the presence of a red dust covering the front of the compresser and many of the surrounding objects"

I got the compressor "red dust" on my 94, now at 120K.
My AC has worked flawlessly to date (can you believe that?)
I have no problem handling the clutch replacement:
BUT with 120K, any suggestions of what else to check or replace without looking for problems would be appreciated.

Back