Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. 9

V6 vs. V8: MPG

I wish I had the economy all of you get. My '06 4.0 gets 13 mpg in mostly around town driving. I have gotten 20 on highway, but don't do that very often. Of course the 13 is wife's driving and 20 is mine.
  2. 9

Rough Idle

Did you ever get anywhere with your rough idle? I am having the same problem now. I changed the lower intake gasket a few months ago and it idled smoother than ever for a while, but now that the weather turned warm, It idles very rough when warmed up. It seems like a too lean condition but...
  3. 9

01 Ranger AC Compressor

A/C cycling The A/C is designed this way for a couple of reasons. It dehumidifies the air to help prevent fogging of windows in positions other than defrost. It also assures that the compressor gets enough excersize during off season to keep the shaft seal in good shape.
  4. 9

A/C problems

compressor cycling You might try your WOT relay. I had a problem with frequent cycling on my wife's 97 and I bypassed the WOT relay. The relay was not bad, but it recieves a signal from the pcm when you are at wide open throttle to turn off compressor for more passing power. Apparently...
  5. 9

2006 Oil Change Required Reset

rpr, it goes by time as well as mileage. At 6 months, It signals an oil change also. Mine was on when we bought it.
  6. 9

new door handles

That would be great if they would fit. We recently upgraded from a 97 to an 06 and the door handle is my biggest complaint. The turn signal lever location is a close second.
  7. 9

Oil Change Light

I just purchased an '06 for my wife and the change oil light was on when I bought it at 43 miles. After reading the manual, it sounds as if the computer looks at mileage and time. If 5000 miles are not recorded at 6 months, The message is displayed also. I have to admit, it took me about a half...
  8. 9

98 Explorer Timing Chain Job

How many miles do you have on it? If it is under 100,000, you might get some of the work for free. There was a recall on some of these if they failed under 100,000 miles. Ask your dealer about it.
  9. 9

A/C problems

Yes, the blower should still work on high if the resistor is bad. If you have no speeds, I would suspect a bad motor, switch, or fuse.
  10. 9

Multiple problems

Another thing you might look at is shock and torsion bar bushings. They can give you bumping noises also. The humming noise when braking could be worn brakes or even tire noises. Especially if the tires have uneven wear.
  11. 9

Replacing Speed Sensor

I cleaned the sensors on my 97. The lights were flashing and the 4wd was not working. both sensors are on the rear of the transfer case. One of the sensors is behind the shift motor so you need to remove the shift motor to remoe it. Both sensors and the shift motor were connected together by the...
  12. 9

Won't Start - 10/12/03 - Electrical?

It sounds like you have a bad connection at a battery cable. clean and tighten all of the connections at the battery, starter, and the ground connection. If that doesn't help, you could have a bad cable or the battery could be shorted. Any of these things could explain the low voltage and...
  13. 9

Shift Vibration? Feels like rumble strips!

Try a trans fluid change. My wife's Cougar had the same problem and when I changed the tranny fluid, the problem disappeared. I think the additives in the oil wear out that enable smooth shifting.
  14. 9

Symptoms of bad bearings?

If it only does it when wheels are turned on a lock, it could be front cv joints are bad. Are the boots intact? I assume you have cv joints, My 97 does.
  15. 9

Sudden FAST idle in an SOHC

Al, as far a I know, The main things that would cause too high an idle, are bad IAC, sticking throttle, or vacuum leak. If you have no CEL I would suspect sticky throttle or a vacuum leak. I would think the IAC would trigger the light. Kenny
  16. 9

A/C stuck on?

That is normal. It is setup so the defroster is more efficient with a/c on the air is drier to defog the windows better. It also keeps the compressor seals in shape over the winter months by cycling the compressor occasionally.
  17. 9

PLASTIC PIECES IN MY OIL PAN WTF???

Are there enough pieces that they could have covered the oil pump pickup screen? if so, cleaning all the plastic crap out might fix your oil pressure. But you still nned to identify the source of plastic pieces. I also vote for the cam chain guides.
  18. 9

REALLLLY BAD gas mpg

The one thing I haven't seen anyone mention that causes drastic mpg problems in the winter is the people who start their engines and let them run to warm up. Depending on how long it sits idling you could easily cut your mileage in half.
  19. 9

Brakes locking when wet

Like everyone else is saying, clean the rear brakes using brakleen and get all dirt, dust, oil, or brake fluid off of shoes and drums. If wheel cylinders are leaking, they should be rebuilt or replaced. If axle seals are leaking, replace them. If all of this does not help, it may be neccesary to...
  20. 9

A/C acting strange

This is a question for a ford tech or anyone else that can offer any help. My A/C compressor is cycling in and out Apprx. 2 seconds on and 2 seconds off. The system is fully charged. I have bypassed the low pressure/cycling switch and the high pressure switch. There is a constant system voltage...
  21. 9

Torque? Horsepower?

how about the fuel filter and air filter? maybe intake gaskets?
  22. 9

A/C Repair too much?

The accumulator has dessicant material in it. It's purpose is to absorb any moisture which gets trapped in the a/c system. When a system develops a leak, such as your leaky evaporator, it not only allows the refrigerant to escape, but allows air and moisture in. If your system has been down for...
  23. 9

Alignment @ Sears?

I believe that with any chain repair shop, Sears, Firestone, Pep boys or whatever, that the service is only as good as the techs and managers at each individual location. I have ha good and bad experiences at all of them. But I will say that overall you can't beat Sears for standing behind their...
  24. 9

poll on 97'98'99' sohc 4.o

I bought my 97 about 4 months ago at 80,000 miles. I had the local dealer do a search on the serial number to see if these programs had been done. He said they had not been done, but the tensioner and intake gaskets were past the mileage limit. They will not do the guide unless there are...
Back