Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. M

Spark Plug clarification for V8

I'm soon coming to this phase to replace my spark plugs. According to Fordparts site the correct replacement part is SP462. Newer (better?) part seems to be the SP514. I also saw the SP515. It looks like it would fit. I think only the side openings on the SP515 tip are cut deeper than SP514...
  2. M

Code P0155 -Help

Great job on detailing all diagnostic steps so far and finding all relevant circuit diagrams. It seems you may have a problem with the PCM. Have you tried measuring the voltage at the pin 2 (ground side) of the O2 sensor heater? For the heater to work the voltage on this pin must be low...
  3. M

Ford Programmer to access Service Menu's 2010 ST

You could try a free (for PC) forscan tool first... I found it pulls a lot of manufacturer specific codes. http://forscan.org/download.html
  4. M

Quiet catback

Try Gibson? It is pretty good balance between noise and comfort: Not disturbing during cruise but let's itself know when you step on it. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/2008-v8-gibson-3-exhaust.359385/#post-2984422
  5. M

Just got new explorer, fluid change??

I have had good luck after pan drop and filling with Mercon LV on my 06 4.6L (6R60). That was over 15K miles ago and transmission works now better than it did with original Mercon SP.
  6. M

Getting P0304 Cylinder 4 Misfire

I'd say it can. Loose plug would leak causing low compression. Low compression is one cause for misfires. After you put it all back together, did the misfire go away?
  7. M

FORScan tool

Check the Manual I don't know about misfire count but I had quick glance on the long list of supported PID's... I wouldn't be surprised if that was supported.
  8. M

2007 ABS kicking on not touching brakes, cant move

You could also buy cheap ELM327 OBD-II Bluetooth adapter and pair it with a PC loaded with free forscan software. It does recognize ABS module among many others. You might search my other thread I made yesterday about this for more information...
  9. M

FORScan tool

Good to know... I thought about resetting my trouble codes (since it said that they are previously set, not currently present) by performing forced module resets on PCM and IC. I'm just a bit worried that this might erase the programmed keys memory etc... Anyone has any knowledge what the...
  10. M

FORScan tool

I tried a diagnostics tool called "FORScan" available for free download: http://forscan.org/download.html I have a clone ELM327 bluetooth adapter and it paired well with my windows tablet and this software. It found the following modules from my 2006 Explorer: PCM, TCM, OCS, ABS, RCM, IC, (and...
  11. M

4th gen rear differential fluid change

I'm going to leave it alone for now. I'll look at it again after couple years if I still have this vehicle.
  12. M

4th gen rear differential fluid change

My 2006 explorer (with slightly less than 60K miles) still has its original rear differential fluid. I have been thinking of changing the fluid and today got to a point to evaluate the current fluid condition. I removed the fill plug and slight amount of very clear and fresh smelling gear oil...
  13. M

'07 v8 4x4 Transmission Leak - Wiring harness?

Mine is early 2006. (Bought it in November 2005.)
  14. M

'07 v8 4x4 Transmission Leak - Wiring harness?

If your 6R60 is anything like mine it really likes the Mercon LV. I had pan drop and fluid changed to Mercon LV over 2 years ago. Immediately after and ever since the transmission is behaving better than ever before.
  15. M

Explorer V8 Transmission Service

Just adding my reference point: I had my transmission pan dropped and fluid changed couple years and 12K miles back at Ford dealer. They did add Mercon LV to my transmission and in my experience the transmission works now better than it ever did with Mercon SP.
  16. M

Several Problems

For #4 you can try spraying water mist to the belt only from a spray bottle. (Assuming the noise is there when car idles and you can test it at park with hood open.) If that quiets it down then it is the belt that is worn and needs replacing. If that makes no difference then you will need to...
  17. M

K&n cai

Is it just me but the torque curve shape doesn't look at all normal for the 4.6L engine...The peak torque should be around 4000 RPM. (And measured torque results around 200 when engine supposed to make over 300 at stock seems to indicate excessive drivetrain losses?)
  18. M

2006 4.6L v8 right bank exhaust manifold gasket replacement

My 2006 V8 manifolds are original and have not warped. All the header bolts were there when I checked few months back. Based on my experience not all headers are bad from the factory. If you are taking them out you might want to straighten them out at machine shop. Hopefully they have settled...
  19. M

2006 OEM Navigation in a non-stock navigation Explorer?

If you find used OEM nav unit that is taken from Explorer having same audio system and same steering wheel control buttons then it probably works as plug and play. (Don't forget you need to get GPS antenna too.) I have put nav unit taken from Fivehundred and it required reprogramming to get...
  20. M

Just to verify ATF type

I believe Mercon SP is getting hard to get and at Ford dealers they put Mercon LV for 6R60. They did for me when I had my transmission pan dropped and fluid changed about 18 months ago. At least for me the Mercon LV has worked great, I'd say better than the SP.
  21. M

Looking for a "new" Ex, V6 w/ 5R55W or V8 w/ 6Rxx Tranny?

For me the 2006 V8 explorer has been relatively good vehicle. Apart the transmission bump (TSB helped it, tranny fluid and filter change further improved it for not being an issue any more), radiator replacement and 3rd row seat motor replacement it has been trouble free. I have not had issues...
  22. M

2007 Explorer Eddie Bauer Overheating

Have you tried the "idle RPM increase" experiment yet? Let us know.
  23. M

Trying to improve take-off from stop

Interesting... Only problem for me just to test this is that they ask over $300... K&N claims slight gains in HP and TQ across the whole RPM range: http://www.kandn.com/dynocharts/57-2573_dyno.pdf I have issues with the TQ curve shape: They say the max TQ (stock or with K&N) is already...
  24. M

2007 Explorer Eddie Bauer Overheating

What I'm not getting is why the upper and lower radiator hose temperatures are the same (hot)... It either means the radiator is not cooling the coolant at all (unlikely, considering all the checks done so far, and it works when driving), or the coolant is not circulating? Maybe when sitting...
  25. M

Trying to improve take-off from stop

I agree with banditxp that the Gibson cat back seems the best mod. (I really did not expect more than better sound, but my personal butt dyno feelings and my 0-60 measurements confirm that the Gibson does improve power noticeably. Butt dyno says that most gains are at lower RPM torque, really...
Back