Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. J

Wife crashed the Explorer...

Well, looks like they're giving me $15,250 for the truck...it's offically totaled. $13,300 damage which doesn't include the damage to the tranny and transfer case. I've got a rental for one more week. I just put money down on a Honda Pilot, so looks like I'll be leaving the Explorer forum. Good...
  2. J

80% according to the body shop.
  3. J

Well, got the prelim. estimate this afternoon. First, they stated that State Farm wanted to put on used parts. I declined and the body shop guy was relieved. Second, they didn't put it on the frame machine yet. But the estimate came in around $8,300 so it was not a write off pending the extent...
  4. J

I don't believe the Explorer is totaled. We'll see once the estimate comes in. I know the insurance company already wrote off the other car. Thanks for the replies.
  5. J

2002 Eddie Bauer Explorer air bag code 33

I had this done about two months ago under warranty. Just had to pay the $50 deductable. The total job is less than $200 if no warranty.
  6. J

Update: Well, got the prelim. estimate this afternoon. First, they stated that State Farm wanted to put on used parts. I declined and the body shop guy was relieved. Second, they didn't put it on the frame machine yet. But the estimate came in around $8,300 so it was not a write off pending the...
  7. J

Anyone know the size nut holding on the rear rotors?

I need to buy a deep well socket to remove the rear rotors.
  8. J

Removing Rear Brake Rotors on 2002 XLS 4x4 4.0 Engine

Can someone tell me what sized deep well socket I need to remove the center bolt off the rotor? Thanks.
  9. J

2003 XLS Brake Rotor Problems

Original brakes had 60K. I just replaced my front brakes with Ford OEM pads and rotors. No shake, no shimmy. I understand when the dealership replaces rotors and pads, they use Motorcraft parts which seem to be a different compound then the OEM parts. There must be something else affecting your...
  10. J

V6 or V8???

Me too. If I had to do it over, I'd go with the v8. I originally went v6 thinking better fuel economy. Garbage. My wife gets 14mpg in the v6. It's slow. The v8 does better pulling all that weight. You get better power and I need it now as I'm getting a small boat. Oh well. Live and learn.
  11. J

FUEL FILTER: 30K replace?

About to change my fuel filter. Anyone have a picture of this 'special' tool? ps. This JoeR and Joe_R can get confusin ;)
  12. J

Serpentine (drive) Belt replacement...anytihng to it?

Ok, jumped the gun. Just tried it out. 13mm socket undoes the tensioner. Very easy.
  13. J

Serpentine (drive) Belt replacement...anytihng to it?

60K on the clock so it's time for a few things. I bought new rotors, pads, oil filter, air filter, fuel filter, spart plugs, upper and lower radiator hoses and a new serpetine belt. I've seen belts done before. I've never done a sepentine, only the old school single belts. Is there anything to...
  14. J

Brakes: OEM vs. Motorcraft

Well, my theory on that is: ceramic is more expensive than organic so it's doubtful they are ceramic. But you never know. I'm of the conclusion there is no difference between oem and motorocraft. Yes, I could possibly get better/less expensive elsewhere, but that's not the plan right now.
  15. J

I generally don't go oem but I figured this: I got almost 60K out of them which in my book is pretty good. Second, the dust is fine. I wash it every week and have never had any issues with brake dust. So you are saying there is no difference between the two?
  16. J

My wife has 56k miles on the clock and it's getting time for new front brakes. I thought that was pretty good life for a set of oem brakes. Anyhow, when I called around to 4 dealers for prices. They have both OEM and Motorcraft brakes. The Motorcraft parts are significantly less expensive...
  17. J

'02 OEM Sirius retrofit

I have an '02 XLT with the premium sound system (no audiophlie). I want to acquire a Ford OEM Sirius ready radio from an '04, '05 or '06 model. Then of course hook up the Sirius retrofit. Now, you ask why an OEM unit? Well, it's the wife's SUV...I want to keep it as simple as possible for her...
  18. J

opinions on the sylvania silverstars

Because it's a poll and people keep voting which bumps it to the top. I still would like some Silverstars for my fogs.
  19. J

Silverstar fogs

I'm calling Sylvania tomorrow to see when/if they'll start making the H10 (9145). So, what I'm reading here is that I can modify the 9005 for the factory fogs?
  20. J

Got my OEM Fog Light kit (pic inside)

Got it working. However, I didn't use one wire which I couldn't find. The diagram says to look for a green/black wire off the dimmer switch. None there. So the end result is the lights just don't automatically turn off when the high beams come on...which is fine with me. I can turn the switch...
  21. J

ok, bare with me (I know I'm slow with this). Part 210-2271 (harness 1) runs from from each of the two fogs into Part 203-6895 (harness 2). This is done via a three wire connector (red,black,tan/orange). Really these three wires are all I need to run to the switch? The red is hot which would...
  22. J

Ok, but how do I bypass the switch? I don't want the aux switch. I wan the headlight switch to turn on the fogs the same time the headlights are turned on. Do I just take the wires going to the switch and tap into the stock headlight switch?
  23. J

Got the lights mounted today. But after some thought, I've decided I want the fogs to come on with the low beams using the stock switch. The reason is, it's my wifes truck and I know she'll be too lazy or forgetful to turn on the fogs if she has to pull or turn a seperate switch. The whole...
  24. J

I might need some help. The directions looked pretty weak. Are you running them independently of the low beams or do the fogs come on when the low beams are turned on? Did you bypass so they run with the hight beams as well? Several years back I modified my Maxima fog lights. From memory, I ran...
Back