Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. J

Which tire pressure ?

Put it into my made motorhome tirepressure calculator and gave front 21 psi and rear 25 psi. In this I add 5% to the front gawr of 2850lbs, and 18% to the rear gawr of 3000 lbs. Then calculates pressure with extra safe formula( so gives higher pressure then the official european formula that is...
  2. J

General Tire Pressure Question Thread

When camberangle is 2:30 degrees ( 2.5 decimal) the calculated pressure should be only 3.22% added . 3 degr Camberangle 6.62% extra 4 degr CA 14.08% this all to the official calculation . so your 35 going to 40 is even 14.28% adding , would be enaugh for 4 degrees camber-angle, wich in the...
  3. J

For the users of cars, things like treathwear and the conditions the tires must endure, etc, are important,but for the car-and tiremakers only counts that their tires stay save, and wont get damaged by driving with the speeds and loads on them. And the maximum load of a tire is calculated for...
  4. J

The pressure-advice is cold measured. And cold means when, inside tire temp = outside tire temp , that simple . Cold advice is given for 18/20degrC/65/68degrF, and if colder outside pressure becomes lower, so more heatproduction , but also cooling down of tire is better because of the larger...
  5. J

10 Startlingly Dangerous Cars

I dont say the chalk test is totally nonsense , but you still have to be carefull with it. But the maximum load of a tire is calculated with an universal formula , in wich section hight, tire width, Rimm diameter, overall diameter etc is put in. So if you asume the tire maker to do it right...
  6. J

But you also have to be carefull with the chalk test. Radial tires stay in a long range with the total treathwidth on the ground evenly. Only the length of the treath surface on the ground varies. If you do that chalk test yourselfes , begin at highest pressure and drop it in steps and do...
  7. J

A roll cage also highens the total gravity-point of the car, wich was a possible issue for the Ford Explorer. So making it saver also gives sooner rolling over. The Ford/Firestone affaire had more inpact on tire-pressure advice then you would think. the law of having TPMS or some kind of...
  8. J

Questions with Tire pressure

That tire has profile blocks that cover a part of the sidewall, so stiffens it , and leaves less sidewall to flex. I suspect the Firestone tires that courced the Ford Explorer/Firestone affaire, in wich more then 100 people died because of roll over accidents, mostly courced by blowing tire, to...
  9. J

Dare I Ask? Correct Tire Pressure for a 1997 Explorer

As Gjared describes the chalk test it probably gives the highest pressure for the actual load that gives no centre wear , and so is pretty save. A radial tire has a large range in wich the total width of the tire is flat on the ground. So even with to low pressure that gives damage to the...
  10. J

In the last 25 years I only had flat punctures of screws in the tire, wich did not flat it out. So the chance of a flat tire when filled to a save pressure, is small. What I mean about annoying TPMS is that they often give false errors. If that happens often , some people want to shut them...
  11. J

Also for that I found an article of someone who cals himself Capriracer at many fora http://www.barrystiretech.com/fordfirestone.html Calculating this trough with the GAWR's mentioned and the tire-specifications, I came to even lower pressures, so first blamed the overloading ( blew out often...
  12. J

If you want to read it from an American IR , who worked for a tire-company you can follow the next link http://www.dawsengineering.com/linked_files/tirepressureatreducedloads.pdf Mr. Daws describes there a new way of calculating and compares it to the , by the tire-makers used formula with a...
  13. J

A LT tire with its higher maxloadpressure of 50psi because 6 ply indeed needs higher pressure for the same load then a P-tire with its maxloadpressure of 35 psi. This maxloadpressure is called the reference-pressure ( further Pr), and is the pressure at wich the maximumload can be carried...
  14. J

Give Gross Axle weight Ratings (GAWR) front and behind and the maximumload and pressure written on the sidewalls . "maximum load xxxx lbs AT 50 psi( cold) " on the sidewall. And I will calculate for you the lowest save pressure for the tires , when fully loaded and not overloaded. If you give...
  15. J

Tire Pressure question...

Tire-pressure advice is all about load on the seperate tires. A little bit about speed and even less about camber angle ( alighnment tires like this /-\ instead of this |-|) . So if you can determine the loads on the seperate tires exactly , you can calculate the needed pressure for that ...
  16. J

Tire pressure.

You can read about tire-pressure in map on my skydrive, where the next link leads to. https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=a526e0eee092e6dc#cid=A526E0EEE092E6DC&id=A526E0EEE092E6DC%21601 last placed word document about the still wrong calculation in America for C-load and up, for A- and B-load (...
  17. J

Recommended Tire Pressure for Hankooks

You can calculate the needed tire-pressure, the same way as the European tire-makers do for decades and the American since 2006. I once got hold of the formula and its addings, and worked it out. Learned myself Excell for it to make spreadsheets for it. Translated a few from Dutch to English to...
  18. J

Mods for improved towing?

If the Explorer is of the period before the Ford/Firestone affaire, the advices in the door are to low. You can re-calculate it with the European Formula, that is since 2006 also used in America ( coincidence, after the Affaire was rounded ????). I once got hold of the European formula and...
  19. J

Correct PSI tire inflation

The low advices of the Ford-Explorer , where because of the wrong calculation all the American tire-manufacturers used up to 2005. To my opinion, the Ford/Firestone affarre is the reason why they chanched to the European power of 0,8 in the equation they use, Before that they used power 0,5...
  20. J

Tire pressure

Ford raised the advice-pressure. The TRA used before the Ford Explorer/Firestone affaire, a equation for reduced loads that came to lower pressures and so warmer and more stressed tires. After it the TRA upgraded it to the European ETRTO equation. This is the one Europe has been using since...
  21. J

Can't stand the hard ride anymore...

You can calculate the minimum advice pressure for your tires . Then if you stay above this , you will not damage your tires. This with the formula the European car and tyre- manufacturers use. This is up to now the savest , because highest pressures then the American formula. I placed a...
  22. J

What PSI to run on my 285/75's

You can calculate it yourselves with spreadsheet I made. See the link to topic on this forum http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=257436 But when you have tires with max psi of 65, they are probably LT-tires and the calculation can give a low answer because of the lot of load...
  23. J

Tire size increase.

But on the road the speed is much higher, so you have to keep it in mind when you are changing it, and making it worse. Yust meant it as something to considder. We dont all have the driving-experiënce as you have.
  24. J

bigger tires on 06 explorer?

With both sises the speedometer does not have to be adjusted, the diference is so small. I dont know if they may be fitted on your rims but probably they may. With de /60 tires the diameter of the tire is 0.25mm smaller,so the same. with the /65 tires the diameter is 26mm bigger so the...
  25. J

Tire size increase.

Your gravity-point gets 2.7 cm ( more then an inch) higher of the ground. Apart from if it will fit and wont tauch anything, this makes the car more instable . The point of rolling over comes sooner. And an Explorer is already known for that in the standard setting.
Back