Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. A

New Brake Pads/Rotors Shakes

Well, I racked my steering all the way left to right about a dozen times and headed out on a test drive. I hit every bump I could find on the interstate and it seems to be gone. Ive read a few other places that the "violent shaking" after a brake job is from having the truck in the air and...
  2. A

Well, mine does have the original shocks on the front. Maybe us lifting it up and down on the floor jack 4 times over the course of the night damaged the shock. But the shaking didn't seem to be coming from an up and down motion, but a side to side. Like literally, the pop in the center console...
  3. A

I just changed the front brake pads and rotors on my 01 Sport yesterday. Tonight, while taking a drive down the interstate my truck started REALLY shaking when I hit a pot hole. Within a minute the shaking subsided and I begin to think I had hit a rumble strip. On the way back I hit another hole...
  4. A

How to: Starting my 00M12 Installation

I just completed this yesterday. Took about 3 hours to finish with my cousin helping me. Just thought I would point out that depending on your engine's level of air leakage it may run HORRIBLE or be difficult to start at first. My truck wouldn't start the first round and we had to floor it to...
  5. A

My 2001 Sport Custom Audio Install

Nope, I want it to be removable in the event I sell the truck, or heaven forbid, wreck it. I want it all to be removable (obviously in the event of a wreck the devices will have to survive, lol). This also makes it easier for future upgrades.
  6. A

My 2001 Sport Custom Audio Install

Just thought I would post this picture and get some feedback on my install. The only real change is the custom lower shroud needs to be painted slightly darker to match the interior plastic. Below is a run down of the complete install ... Panasonic 7" Motorized DVD Indash Player XM Radio...
  7. A

Cold Air Intake

Well I am basing my pricing off my brother's K/N setup which was 270.00. As for the looks, of course it looks better, people wouldn't pay the money they do if it looked like crap. If you have a larger throttle body, then by all means you should have a pipe. But what people don't understand is...
  8. A

A few more questions ...

I have 5w30 in it, as I always use, and it has 83,000 on it. The clatter only started in the last 2 months, and I drove it all winter in extreme cold.
  9. A

A few more questions ...

So I bought my 01 Sport about 7 months ago, it ran amazing when I first bought it. Over the last 3 months my MPG has steadily decreased to about 16 mpg from the 20 I was getting at first. Also I have been getting alot more chatter (i assume this is valve chatter) when I first start the truck up...
  10. A

Help Quick

Thanks a bunch man.
  11. A

Help Quick

Well Im changing my plug wires and I think the guys moved them around when they changed my plugs the other day. I have a 01 Sport SOHC ___________ < Windshield My Coil pack goes this way >>>>> Not up and down as in 12 34 56 It is this ... 123 456 Is the proper firing order...
  12. A

Lower ball joint question

Im not sure how it is with your truck, but I know that my 01 Sport requires replacing the control arms along with the ball joints unless you go with OEM "piece-o'-utterly-worthless-non-Zerk-fitting-throw-away-crap-so-Ford-can-make- aload-o'-money-in-the-long-run" ball joints. My advice, which...
  13. A

Gas Mileage!!!!!!

OK A few things. First of all, chances are good that even in Florida you're getting at least a partial winter blend. Refineries have to retool the factories to make winter blend, which is why gas prices go up in the Winter>Spring and MidFall>Winter transition periods. I know that right now my...
  14. A

help with k&n cold air kit

Im chiming in here just in case other people read this post. I just installed my KKM filter yesterday and I already love it. Sounds great. As for the S&B Filter that comes with the kit, it has more flow than a K&N in tests. Search the internet and you'll find at least a few websites that taut...
  15. A

Cold Air Intake

I just recieved and installed a KKM intake on my 01 Explorer Sport 4.0 SOHC. It sounds AWESOME around 2700-3000 RPM, no whine or whistle except when I first start it up in the morning. Also MUCH more economical than a K&N CAI kit. If someone wants to spend an extra ~200.00 to have the name K&N...
  16. A

Performance Chip

It is just one of my pet peeves. I pay for a truck that says it can do 120, I expect it to be able to so, to do otherwise is fraud in my eyes. I am weird like that, so you'll have to overlook me. I guess it comes down to an old saying, being able to do something and not gives power and respect...
  17. A

Performance Chip

You know I was thinking about this, with gas prices what they are now, I wonder if anyone could program me a stock chip with nothing but the speed limiter removed/raised? Given the cost of chips, and only a single setting to be made, wonder if I could find someone to do this fairly cheap. 230.00...
  18. A

What Performance Parts To Buy ?

Or just save the 3 or 4 grand all that will cost and apply it as a down payment on a newer Explorer?
  19. A

Performance Chip

Im sure that Doug does excellent work but for my near stock X I dont just dont see paying the 30-50% higher costs over other SCT suppliers. For what Doug charges 300.00 w/ 1 tune, I can get for 228.00 from one of SCT's biggest suppliers. His 325.00 multi tune chip comes with only 2 tunes, where...
  20. A

Performance Chip

Also I was looking at this... http://www.motorhaven.com/home.php?cat=365 Anyone have an opinion on that? Since it came with 4 customs tunes as well as the stock settings I was thinking the following ... 1. Stock 2. 87 Performance 3. 87 Towing 4. 89 Performance 5. 91 Performance...
  21. A

Performance Chip

OK, I have been reading god only know how websites regarding Performance chips and programmers. Diablo, Hypertech, SCT, Apten, etc. are all swimmming around in my head. So Im asking the experts ... What in the heck do I buy?? Ive got a 01 Sport with the normal V6 SOHC and here is what Im looking...
  22. A

Rattling in the steering column

Follow Up Well I took what grease was on the end of the aforementioned cylinder and packed it back down in the cylinder housing. The rattle is gone now. Im going to get some all purpose lube and shove some more down in there just to make sure there is enough. If you have a rattle that seems...
  23. A

Rattling in the steering column

Hey All, I started having some rattling in the steering column about a week ago. I found that if I slightly pulled on the shifter the rattle would stop. BUT, if I rattled the shifter with my hand the sound was different. Finally tonight I tore it down to see if I could find the rattle. Turns...
  24. A

Is this possible!!!?!?!?

Hi All, Some of you might remember that I have been having a shimmy in my truck. Well today I changed the transmission fluid in my X and lo and behold when I took it on the interstate the shimmy was all but gone. Is it possible that changing the transmission fluid fixed something? The only...
  25. A

Hiss I have never heard before.

Yesterday I cleaned out my IAC because I was getting the usual "chug chug almost dies" symptom upon starting and putting the truck into gear. But when I was finished I was manually reving the engine from under the hood and everytime I did I heard a quick but loud Hiss sound the second I moved...
Back