Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. S

transfer case or differential

Please pardon my ignorance -- is the transfer case the same as the differential?? Specifically -- 2006 Explorer 6-cyl, 4WD. Thanks.
  2. S

power steering fluid

thanks for the info. regards, steve
  3. S

power steering fluid

Is there a special power steering fluid that should be used for 2006 Explorer v-6? I searched the Forum -- could not find a recommended fluid. What are the specs if any, like DOT 3/4 for brakes? I need to top mine off -- it is at the "min" mark. thanx, steve
  4. S

thermostat housing -- cracked by dealer

I could be wrong -- but --- Thanks for the input. As MNgopher so eloquently states, I'm not certain how soon it began leaking following the thermostat replacement. I immediately found ponding on top of the engine -- figured the mechanic just failed to clean up. I sopped it up and, in my...
  5. S

thermostat housing -- cracked by dealer

Due to the preponderance of info related to problems with the plastic lower thermostat housing on the 2006 Explorer, and my advancing age, I decided to have the Ford dealer change my anti-freeze and replace the thermostat last year. I didn't notice it immediately, but my lower thermostat...
  6. S

2006 Explorer Console Disassembly Procedure

I'm not sure either. The guy who originally posted these pix no longer has an Explorer. I got the pix from him and posted them here. steve
  7. S

High Speed Shimmy 08 limited

Bender -- This may sound silly -- but I had a sinilar experience w/a Chevy Blazer about six years ago. The stealership tried balancing and re-balancing the tires, different tires, alignment, brakes, etc.. ad nauseum. The vibration was still there. They do not have a dynomometer to test vehicles...
  8. S

'06 Explorer brake pads

Thanks for the info. I am not doing this job myself (have been having back problems for quite some time now). I had a squeal a few months ago -- only the dealer could find it -- was rear brakes. They replaced the rear, and said the front pads are getting low. It is due for state inspection in...
  9. S

'06 Explorer brake pads

I need to have my front brake pads replaced. I searched the Forum (a little) but could not find out what are the best ones to get. i.e. ceramic, semi-metalic, etc... What do you all recommend? Thanks Steve
  10. S

2006 4.0 serpentine belt tensioner question

Replacing the serpentine belt is a piece of cake. Even I could do it (and did it). Keep the old one in your car for an emergency spare. Should not take more than 15 minutes to do the job. Steve
  11. S

Electric window stopped working

I also have a flaky rear window. I looked in the Haynes manual and there is a detailed explanation of how to remove the panels, diagnose the problem (switch vs motor) and r&r procedure. Pix included. Suggest you get a Haynes manual and check it out. I got mine at Advance Auto --- about $30 US...
  12. S

Chirping Belt

I also had a chirping recently. I lubricated all of the pulleys and wheels on the path of the belt, to no avail. I thought my belt was too new to be faulty. I had purchased a new belt for roadside emergencies and figured I'd try it out. Squeal/chirp left immediately and has not come back...
  13. S

11.3 mpg, this can't be normal!

I also have an '06 Eddie Bauer 6-cyl. Have had it for about a year. I get about 19 mpg on a trip (I usually drive @65-75 mph). Around town I get about 13.5 mpg, according to the computer. These cars are gas hogs in local driving conditions. But if you want to have a nice big car -- you must be...
  14. S

Blower motor only works on high

faulty fan switch I also had a faulty fan switch -- worked only on third and fourth speeds. Mine is an '06 Explorer. I looked at the wiring diagram in my Haynes book and found that it uses an resistor (separate form the actual switch). In my '06 it is located behind the glove box mounted into a...
  15. S

missing arrows I sent an email to crizz and he sent me the pix. I sent them to the administrator and asked him to replace the old pix with the new pix. He did. I didn't know there were arrows to begin with. As it happens -- I didn't need to remove my console (my faulty heater fan was due to a...
  16. S

2006 4x4 High Concern

Correct me if I'm wrong please. But I think you can shift in and out of 4x4 on the fly without pulling into a spot and stopping. Steve ytushups@yahoo.com
  17. S

Ford Premium Gold

green or yellow coolant According to my Haynes (Ford Explorer 2002 thru 2007) pg3-2, sect 2: "---The manufacturer specifies either a green colored coolant or a yellow colored coolant to be used in these systems. ---". Hope this helps make you feel more confident. Steve ytushups@yahoo.com
  18. S

Ford Premium Gold

I have been watching this thread. I could find no special requirement in the Haynes shop manual for anything different than good old Prestone anti-freeze. I plan to mix the concentrate with water (50/50) when I change mine. Unless someone finds some indication that requires something different...
  19. S

Vibration issue.

vibration Although it was not on my '06 Explorer -- I had a similar vibration problem with a '00 Chevy Blazer. Your story sounds just like mine with all the trips to the dealer, new tires, balancing and re-balancing -- and they also said they could not feel it. I finally found a place with a...
  20. S

faulty HVAC fan switch

resistor Thanx for the hint re: resistor. I looked over the wiring diagram -- saw that it uses a resistor -- got a new one -- replaced it -- now my fan works in all four positions. Total cost was only $28.00. Thanx again for the help. Steve
  21. S

faulty HVAC fan switch

Hi all. I'm relatively new to the forum. Have been searching for info on how to remedy my HVAC fan switch. It operates only in positions 3 & 4. 1 & 2 are dead. '06 Explorer Eddie Bauer I found some folks (posts) with similar problems, but no solutions. I plan to remove the radio/HVAC control...
  22. S

steve

steve's X1/9 Thanx Joe -- If I did it correctly, you should now be able to see her. Steve
  23. S

steve

X1/9 pix Thanx for the interest in my X1/9. I already am registered with photobucket and haver a couple of pix. However, being and old geezer, I have not yet figured out how to post my album. If anyone wants to bear with me and give me a step by step (and I really mean a step by step)...
  24. S

viewing tutorial Help -- I can't get the tutorial pix to reveal themselves. All I see are little red boxes with red "X's" in them. I'm not very good with computers. I need to remove my radio bezel, and this seems to be the place with the correct procedure to not damage it. How can I get the...
Back