• Register Today It's free!

Vibration issue.

seannydeez

Reaction score
City, State
Braintree, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Limited
Not sure if anyone has had experience with this issue. I feel vibration through the steering wheel for the most part above 40mph, worse around 65mph. It's not the tires. If i make minor corrections left and right while driving down a highway for example I can feel it and it's not so bad if I let the car go straight. After driving for a bit I can feel it at a dead stop and it feels like I can feel the revolutions of a belt. Not sure how else to describe it. I have been to the Ford dealer 3 times and they dont really know, they just try to pawn it off as "normal." They even had the tires road force balanced to appease me. It's an 06 Limited with 37,000. Any suggestions would be great. I am convinced it's an issue with the steering pump but I dont know how to prove it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to this forum! I've moved your thread to the stock 2006+ section. If it would be engine related, then you would feel it when the engine is running all of the time, and not only when you are going at a certain speed. Do you feel it at a certain RPM speed?

I appreciate it. I think it happens at all RPM's really since I feel it at a complete stop and it's worst on the highway. The service manager mentioned maybe harmonic balancer or something but by the time it makes it to the mechanics all they can focus on is tires because I said vibration through steering wheel, just dont know how else to explain it to them.

I think I'll make an appointment and ask that they inspect those parts...hopefully they have a way to tell if they are bad. thanks for the prompt help!

Join The Club!

Amazing...I'm in the same boat. Mine's an '07 EB with 34k mi. There's a TSB out on the upper steering shaft. The service dept figured that based on my complaints, that must be the problem so they replaced it. It didn't help at all.

I think I may be on to something, though, because I noticed that the rattle/vibration stops (or at least, can't be felt anymore) if I loosen the tilt wheel lock all the way. You couldn't get in the habit of driving that way, but it's one more step in the troubleshooting, I guess. Also, if I tilt the steering wheel all the way down, and lock it, I don't feel the rattle/vibration then, either.

Here's what's weird to me...it never does it first thing in the morning, when the car is "cold." In fact, it's usually 20-25 mins into my drive to work before I feel it. Does that mean anything to anyone?

I'm taking a road trip with the family soon, and between now and then I can't do another round at the dealership just to hear them say they can't duplicate it, or don't know how to pinpoint it, or that a little "feedback" is normal, etc. I am worried a little, however, about the possibility that it's something like an upper or lower ball joint...I don't know much at all about front ends, is that something that could completely fail on me at 75mph and send the car flipping across the interstate? :eek:

Glad it's not just me. I'll have to try the releasing the tilt on the steering wheel and see if it goes away for me too. Mine also isn't present when the car is cold, but does show up within 10 minutes of driving which is why Im leaning towards it being something to do with the steering pump/pully...like it needs to heat up a bit for it to happen.

Yeah, fluids look fine. Belt looks good too. I'll have to pop the hood after ive been driving and the car is still running to listen for any odd noises

Fluid level and belts fine for me too. Maybe the heat has something to do with it, because today was the worst yet. It was 97 deg today. I no longer think the tilt steering lock has anything to do with it...it's definitely something in/under the engine compartment. It used to just seem like a mild rattle or vibration, which I felt at every single crack, bump or imperfection in the road. But now there's even an audible tap...almost a soft "clunk." I don't feel like I'm getting any feedback from the belt/pulley like Seannydeez is. When I hit the brakes, or release the brakes, I feel and hear the [whatever it is]. So pretty much whenever the front suspension has to do any travel, in either direction, I'm getting it. I lifted the hood and checked everything I could get my hands on, but nothing seems loose. No leaks from the struts, and the car doesn't pull to either side when I brake. Does the steering shaft telescope at all...could it be binding up? I suppose it's possible that this is what the TSB was supposed to fix, and maybe the replacement upper shaft is just as flawed as the original. I have no clue what to do now. Seannydeez, if you figure anything out, holler. I'll do the same.

Very frustrating. :rant:

Good thought on the AC, but unfortunately not the case. Jessydog, I did check that TSB out and unfortunately it says for pop/clunk with steering and Im not experiencing that so I can't throw that at the dealer. I did try the tilt steering and it did improve but I could still feel it a little. Wish there was a test to see if the steering pump or pulley is bad. I will keep you updated. It's going back in a couple weeks for routine maintenance and Im going to mention it to them again.

Depending on how mechanical you are you could drive her for 15 minutes til it starts the noise then remove the acessory belt and take a quick local 1 minute ride with no accessorys and see if it goes away. Then while the belt is off try wiggling each pully and check for sloppyness.

Not a bad idea. Ill see if the dealer would consider that when I take it back. I dont want to give them any reason to tell me the warranty is void

hey, what is that TSB # for the upper steering shaft?

and sean- figure anything out?

im having no luck with the dealer. They keep giving me the "we don't feel anything" answer and then they try and blame it on the tires which are new and perfectly balanced. Think it might be something I'll have to live with.

Did anybody figure this out yet? I have the same problem. 2006 Merc Mountaineer 4.6awd..25000 miles... I get a vibration I feel in the steering wheel, , rolling at idle or braking at idle (stand still) or even if the truck is in park (at idle).. I also hear a slight moaning sound at the same time I feel the vibration.. If I am crusing at anything over 5mph it is all gone.. and it only happens after the truck has warmed up and I have been driving for 15 minutes or so... I have tried turning off all the accessories (AC), that does nothing... So with that said, does anyone have any idea what it could be?

vibration

Although it was not on my '06 Explorer -- I had a similar vibration problem with a '00 Chevy Blazer. Your story sounds just like mine with all the trips to the dealer, new tires, balancing and re-balancing -- and they also said they could not feel it.
I finally found a place with a dynamometer. They hooked it up and got out of the car at 60MPH and walked around looking for the source of the vibration. I could finally see that I was not crazy as the mechanic left the door open while it was going 60MPH and the door shook visibly.
The mechanic thought that my spare tire was too loose.
I removed the spare completely -- took it for a nice long ride down the highway and --- NO VIBRATION!
I re-attached the spare tire -- tightened it as tight as I could -- tightened it some more -- took it for another long drive -- NO VIBRATION!
It costs nothing to try it. Some times the easiest fixes work the best. Hope you are as successful as I was.
Steve
ytushups@yahoo.com

My friend has an 05 explorer 4.0L SOHC with a bad vibration at idle up to around 1500 RPM. I found the inside of the balancer loose and coming appart. Has anyone else had this issue? I just ordered one from the dealer and it's on backorder. All the part store balancers look different and don't have "weight" in the center. I found it by looking up into the balancer through the 1.5" hole where the bolt goes through. You can see shredded rubber hanging and the center will move loosly if you reach in with your fingers. Any feedback would be good. Kevin

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back