Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. Z

How to: Rebuilding a Borg Warner 4404

Hi Guys Nice post up. Wish I had had this when I did my case the first time. Just some things I have noted: The rear nut torque setting is no bull. You want that tight. If it isn't, there will be some self destruction. The other thing is that the chains do stretch with age. Put a...
  2. Z

Arrg, a little help please.

Thanx, I got the front propeller shaft from the parts store a few days ago and haven't had access to the car since :D . My wife was really getting tired of driving the f350 diesel crew cab. so as soon as I am able to get at it that panel is coming off. thanx for the cold weather advice...
  3. Z

nvrenufedge, thanks for the response. I used an external speaker to test with. I have to figure out where I stashed the factory one that I took out several years ago when I tested it separately (it was fine, but as of today I got no idea where in my very full garage it is residing) That...
  4. Z

I have a 98 ex with the factory stereo (radio cd player) I developed all the normal BS that the ford systems do and in addition I lost the left side audio completely one night that I had it cranked up. This actually happened about a year before the normal fade in and out stuff ( I swear this...
  5. Z

Need 98 awd help

Right that should do it. I am a bit tired after the drive today and it just hit me that the AWD would be a problem. I hadn't gotten logical yet. Rear drive shaft in bed of F350 no problem:thumbsup: :D Thanks, now I can sleep.
  6. Z

Need 98 awd help

Hi all I have a real bad banging sound in my drive line. So I checked the u joints and they feel okay. I have abandoned the truck (at my folks vacation home in the Yosemite area) made a 300 mile plus drive to get my big truck to tow it home to work on ( due to lack of tools at the site and...
  7. Z

Strange brake light behaviour

I'll give that a try. A good logical starting spot. I just did the water pump so I am in the fixit mode already. thanx
  8. Z

Strange brake light behaviour

I founf that my '98' ex brake lights are always dimly flickering. At nite you can see this in both brake lites and the rear window lite. Anybody ever deal with this strangeness? :confused:
  9. Z

Owner Manual Ford Explorer

foxsport check your email
  10. Z

Baby Seats

I am putting in a piece of berber carpet and a towel underneath it. Last time around I got wear marks from the seat. I am also puting in extra straps into the back deck for extra holding power for the seat. you cant be too safe. When are you guys due? We are on Feb 12 , a boy...
  11. Z

San Diego Mud

Between Valley Center and the I-15. There are lots of dirt roads. Make sure you don't fall off the side of canyon though.:roll:
  12. Z

V8 AWD: ABS Light + Odd Driving

check your CV joints and your brake pads. My X has had this and it was my brakes. I still have another sound which I know is my passenger side CV joint.
  13. Z

Driving on Ice

Go find a parking lot that is covered w/ snow and or ice. You might have to wait until the next storm. Then go out and practice. try locking them up, do donuts and practice recovery. practice sliding and recovery. do this as often as you can and at the highest speeds that are SAFE. Don't...
  14. Z

NEW EXHAUAST, PISS OFF THE NEIGHBORS ?

When my neighbors piss me off I just leave my F350 deisel w/ big exhausts running for an hour of two. If they really make me mad I pour some sea foam into the fuel and just let it spew half burned fumes for awhile. That just leaves you with a bad taste for the rest of the day. I don't know if...
  15. Z

DAYYYUMMMM ITS COLD!!!

yah I know what you mean. I had to roll my window up this monrniing It was only 70 or so, and wasa little chilly in my shorts and tee- shirt. HA... HA. But I do remember those bright sunny days in NE Iowa in january. The ones where you have a bright sunny cloadless day and it is -20...
  16. Z

CV Shaft.

Obviously you didn't follow the Haynes directions. I tried that (following the book ) and after an hour or so got PO'ed and did what you did. not to hard.
  17. Z

98 flashers?

yeah, thats the way i was leaning. due to the link between bang ing on them and occasionaly getting a result. It just means that I will have to get under the dash, which in my old age is just too much fun. thanx
  18. Z

98 flashers?

all of the 4 way work conststantly. wiggling the stick has not changed any thing. When they fail it is both sides but not the 4 ways. Ocasionally kicking the two pots that keep falling from under the dash will effect them. ( these are the after market gerneric units that I found instead of...
  19. Z

98 flashers?

Hi, I have an intermittant problenm w/ my turn signals. The previous owner of this truck ( Honest Jons Used Cars of San Diego). The factory flasher unit is gone and instead of this are two generic flash pots. They seem to have a life of their own as to when the feel like working. The...
  20. Z

I Think My Starter Decided to Stop Starting

pull it. takeit to auto zone and have it tested. I bought starters for both my f350 diesel and my 4runner there. thay have warrenty exchanged the f350 four times and the runner one time. I kill starters in the diesel every 1-1/2 years no matter where i buy them. the 4runner went 6 years of...
  21. Z

rear roters...

ditto on auto zone I did my front and rears about three months ago. do the rear drum parking brakes at the same time. then you can forget about them. make sure the parking brake is off when you do this. i forgot and was good and p-o'ed by the time i remembered. it was an ez job after that.
  22. Z

Any one rebuild 6.9L diesil?

Its time to rebuild my 6.9L diesel that is in my 86 F350 crew cab Long bed dually. This has been a great work truck and I am going to keep it. I have never rebuilt a diesel before and could use suggestions that will help me with this. This will this winters project. thanx
  23. Z

Got my wheel spacers today.

Why is it that extenders are supposed to take out bearing any more than regular wheels, or offset rims? I have a 98 xlt and have beencurios about extenders. thanx
  24. Z

battery or starter or ? problem help request

clean both terminal check h2o level and check specific gravity with a hygrometer ( squeeze bulb jobby). check voltage across the terminals w/ cables off 12.5 vdc-11.5 vdc anything less is bad batt. reconnect batt start X test voltage while running . should be 13+ vdc if at idle. not more...
  25. Z

Ways to protect against theft...

leave a gaping hole in the dash with wire hanging out or a really cheap $10 system from a junk yard, and mount the good one in the glove box. don't show off the system. a lot of this stuff is from freinds of friends if you know what i mean.. You have most likly been cased.
Back