Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. I

Suspension - Ride Quality

It also occasionaly leans to the left (never predictable), about an inch lower than the right loaded or unloaded. Usually the right is lower due to the torque of the driveshaft. The original gas shock on the left may be shot, but the right one still has some charge. New shocks would fix...
  2. I

Suspension - Ride Quality

I bought Gabriel VST's last year. They were easy to install in theory, but the bolts were real corroded and sheared off etc. etc. and it became a pretty involved job in the end. I bought the Gabriels for 3 reasons: #1 - Price ($20 each at pep boys) #2 - Guarantee, they have a lifetime...
  3. I

Ram-air idea....any thoughts?

Are there any problems with rain and/or off road water?
  4. I

Clutch problem I haven't heard of before!!

Just a guess: The "fingers" the throwout bearing pushes against may have some missing or worn. Maybe the bearing itself is bad. It sounds like temperature plays a part. I guess that the answers will come out when they pull it all apart and look in. Expensive diagnosis, but they can probably...
  5. I

brakes

I bought the Titanium Ti22 pads from JC Whitney. I have been real happy with them - low dust and stop Real well - good pedal feel w/low effort. They seem to resist fade too. I cannot say either way as far as wear because I only have a few thousand miles on them. I hear the ceramic pads...
  6. I

Alternator 95amp to 130amp

If the new terminals are attached well and tight/clean to the battery, then I don't know. It may not be the terminals. How new is the battery? Some people early on this thread said that their rebuilt alt fluctuated a lot. I am not real confident when it comes to auto electic systems, so it...
  7. I

How long ago was that? Has it done well for you. I just got the duralast rblt 130, so I will repost after a while, good or bad. Rob
  8. I

12 disc location?

I will check it out, but I don't know what I will do with all of those "necessities" that are in the console right now.:D
  9. I

12 disc location?

Hey, that does sound convenient, once it is in! I will work on that. Maybe if there is room under the glove box I can use the top of the changer as the box bottom. Hmmm.
  10. I

12 disc location?

I have a JVC 12 disc changer and I do not know where to mount it. Has anyone had luck mounting one under passenger seat? I doubt the rear seats have enough clearance and still allow fold down. Rob
  11. I

Spare won't fit, WARN hubs

Someone may have lost the spare in the past (Those cables get a little salt and water on them and break from corrosion), and replaced it with "some other" steel wheel without checking to see if it fits. Is it close to a fit, or off by a lot? Rob
  12. I

New Tires... Need suggestions+

I bought some Pirelli Scorpion A/T in the late fall and they are excellent! (stock size) They look pretty aggressive, but are quiet and smooth on roads. I do not do a lot of off road, but the little I did was impressive. They are great in the rain and very good in the snow too. HIGHLY...
  13. I

air cleaner box

Don't leave anything like that Unplugged or unfiltered, they can suck in dust & dirt. I do not know specifically what they are, likely one is from the pcv valve. Rob
  14. I

I went to Autozone and proved you guys RIGHT and the autoparts places that said there is a bracket difference between 95 & 130 wrong. I bought the 130amp rebuilt duralast for $119 and it installed like a breeze! Works GREAT. I thought that there was a problem with my window motors until this...
  15. I

I just checked with some local auto parts places and when I said that I wanted to change to the 130 they both (not knowing I spoke to anyone else) said that the brackets are different. They both offered to show them side by side to me, so I am going to go do that today. I hope I do not have to...
  16. I

OK, that gives me a little more to consider. Maybe I will Check around some more, but the NEW Duralast 130amp seems to be the choice for now. I will write again once I get one and use it for a while! Thanks Rob
  17. I

I wonder why Ford did not just put the 130's in all the explorers?
  18. I

Thanks, I am convinced. I thought that maybe the Bosch would be the choice for ensuring adequate power, but now I think that I will save the $100 and just get the Duralast (lifetime warranty) 130amp! NICE!
  19. I

My stock (1994 xlt) 95 amp alternator is dying quickly and I need to replace it. I found that Autozone has a few for around $100. The 130amp model used on limited edition is the same price. Should I go for the 130 amp? Is there a difference in size physically and/or bolt pattern, or just...
  20. I

Eddelbrock, not what I expected

If all your shocks are like the one you described, then you probably did wear them out. If only one or two are like that, they may have an internal defect and you might be able to make that case - although, in the end they can just say "no, buy another set". (like they did). I would not put...
  21. I

Michelin LTX M/S vs. Michelin LTX M/S SL. Any difference?

Ed You will probably notice a difference due to the profile increase from 70 to 75. The profile of the 235/75/15 is a little taller, so you may have a slightly softer ride. The circumference is a little larger, so your speedometer may be slightly off - reading slower than your actual speed...
  22. I

I just ordered a set of Pirelli Scorpion A/T from Discounttiredirect.com. We had 8+inches of snow and my cheap-o (Gen. Grabber ST copy) tires were Terrible! I was hoping to get more mileage from them, but the early snow changed that. The only choices for stock 235/75/15 size are XL and C...
  23. I

Just bought '97 XLT needs tires

SNOW! Yeeeha! I took my wife's new (1200mi. on odo) Escape around on some neighborhood roads (unplowed w/8+inches) and it stuck like GLUE with the Contitrac SUV tires that I heard so much bad review on. Must be the vehicle and the fact that they are brand new. I took out my explorer for...
  24. I

Michelin vs Michelin vs Michelin

Sounds like Michelin makes the nearly identical tires for multiple places, changing the letters around a little to make each place exclusive. These places (Sears etc.) say "We will beat competitors prices", but when they are the only ones selling that exact model... Rob
  25. I

You are right I ran out and glanced at the weight posted on the door quick then ran in. After posting I thought "that does seem a little too high". What tires do you have, Robert? Why did you decide on C rated? Did you like the Wilderness? Why am I asking so many questions? :D Rob
Back