Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. A

Definity Dakota HT 235/70/R16 60k

I heard they were pretty decent tire for the money and was looking at them along with the cooper h/t and cooper cts. We have Discount Tire here in Michigan and I managed to win $50 gift cert from them from another forum. So, I went with the CTS ($20 more than the HT plus better wet...
  2. A

Front Wheel Bearing Question

i had similar problem. I replaced both since when one fails the other is soon to follow.
  3. A

My son shoved a coin in the cd player

Putty knife, carefully around the bezel to pop it out. I had to do it long ago when i put the ford fog light kit in. Good luck! By the way, i always buy the warranty on electronics since i have kids.....:D
  4. A

How to: 2002 Explorer rear wheel bearing replacement (pictures)

Great pics! Your post should be a sticky.. I did my driver side rear bearing 3 weeks ago. I had to replace because the rear end was grabbing and pulling to one side. That thing was noisy, sounded like the when the u joints used to go out. Did the work myself in my driveway, not to hard...
  5. A

wheel bearings

i had same issue with 1 spring in the rear on my 02 xlt. I was at 100k and decide time to change struts as well. I changed both springs. Usually when 1 fails (by the way the Taurus line has same problem with springs, stupid engineers at FORD), the other will fail. Replace both. At same time...
  6. A

I need help choosing new tires.

My 02 had the cross terrains as oem. 4.5 years ago they wore out too quick like yours, went over to Discount Tire and told them my story. They contacted michelin and they offered me buy 3 and get 1 michelin tire free deal. I got the ltx m/s tires. Just replaced them today, 75 k on them with...
  7. A

What to look for when buying 02 XLT Explorer

Darn, forgot about that one...lucky me, i dont have that issue yet.
  8. A

Struts

Limited02 - It helped especially going around corners. Ride felt firm again.
  9. A

02 explorer few questions and help.

Belt is easy. 3/8 breaker bar is great to use. Just insert into the idler pulley assembly and move it to loosen the tension, slip old off and new on. I do from underneath in 5 mins or less. Good luck..
  10. A

What to look for when buying 02 XLT Explorer

Go read carcomplaints.com. 02 is number one, 03 is number 9, 04 is number 13. I got lucky and have an 02. 3 window motors, tranny, rear end, 4 wheel bearings, throttle cable, black box, gas tank gauge, sun roof leaks if car is parked in certain direction..hmm what else is left? Its up to...
  11. A

Struts

May 2008 @100k replaced original with monroe reflexes - buy 3 get one free. Did all 4 of them plus 2 rear coils because 1 was broke(cheap ford material).
  12. A

Best All-Around Tire?

jls99expo, I have gone through quite a few reviews on tires last week or so plus did searches here on the various tires plus at tirerack.com. I looked at bridgestone dueler revo, dueler a/t, firestone destination le, goodyear fortera, dayton timerline(they are a firestone brand), michelin ltx...
  13. A

Tires: michelin or kelly springfield for 02 explorer xlt

Thanks for the help. Stopped at a discount tire here. They measured depth of my tires. One had 4/32 left!! The other 3 went from 5 to 7/32. They called michelin, michelin said merry christmas :D and gave me 25% credit towards another set of michelins. I went with the michelin LTX m/s, $462...
  14. A

I ran across 2 more selections: Firestone destination le @ $390.00 Bridgestone deuler a/t revo @525.76 (costco) Any opinions on these 2 ? Costco puts nitrogen/air mix in their tires? is this good?
  15. A

I have 02 explorer xlt, awd with 4 wd. 43 k miles and looking to replace with: 1. kelly springfield safari suv tires 2. michelin ltx m/s tires 3. michelin cross terrain tires Main driving is to/from work 40 miles daily in stop/go traffic. I do tow a 171/2 foot boot during spring...
Back