Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. S

How to tell if your timing chain has some life in it

The reason they build stuff with cheap plastic parts is so that item will fail. Seriously. It is called Planned Obsolescence, and is very real in many industries. PO supports the entire sub-industry of servicing and parts, which makes billions each year. The main industry that comes to my...
  2. S

My 96 Eddie

I think the truck looks perfect as is. Plenty of rubber for those wheel wells also. :thumbsup:
  3. S

HELP!!!! Explorer Sport 2wd 4.0 SOHC Manual

Automatic. And not looking to trade, but thanks. :)
  4. S

Like someone else mentioned it is probably your 4wd spanking your MPG. I have a few friends with 4dr 2wd 3rd Gen Explorers with the SOHC who get similar hwy mileage as my much smaller 2dr Sport. I actually wish mine was a 4x4, more so than ever this last February while we were in Keystone, CO...
  5. S

I wouldn't count on getting much better gas mileage out of the sport vs 4dr. Mine is a 98 SOHC 2wd 3.73 w/105k miles (all factory, no mods) and I avg 19MPG HWY, best ever I got was 21MPG (once). That is real HWY driving on cruise control @ 70MPH.
  6. S

4.0 gas mileage

My 98 Sport 2wd 3.73 gears SOHC gets 16 city and 19-21 hwy, depending on if I keep it at 70mph. If you're in a 4x4 4DR with one of the tow packages (gearing) I could see your city mileage not being unreasonable. My 07 Stang SOHC 3.23 convertible gets 26 hwy @ 65mph cruise control with everyone...
  7. S

My quest for 30 MPG - Ford Explorer Gas Mileage Tips

We just got back from a Colorado ski trip in Keystone. We drove from Houston to Keystone in our 98 Explorer Sport, 100% bone stock with 101k miles, 3.73 SOHC 2wd. We had her loaded down pretty good with luggage, 2 adults and 1 kiddo and averaged about 18mpg doing 70mph on cruise when possible...
  8. S

-Your Explorer-

98 Ex Sport Purchased August 2010 for $2k (refurbished over last 3 months with about $1200) 99k when bought 102k currently http://s1190.photobucket.com/home/sarge816/index
  9. S

'11 Explorer Revealed!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6twsF6FEwYk May have been posted already in the thread, no idea. Worth a second look though. Explorer off-roading isn't completely dead it seems.
  10. S

explorer sport pics

It does look great, I love how aggressive the big tires look. Did you have to lift it any? The Jason mask is awesome. :thumbsup:
  11. S

explorer sport pics

Thanks! My wife doesn't quite understand my obsession with it and all my "piddling" (her words) in the garage. But she doesn't complain when I detail her baby: We're definitely a Ford family. :salute:
  12. S

explorer sport pics

My 98 just turned over 100k, everything factory. 4.0 SOHC, 3.73 / tow package, leather in near mint condition, everything works. Well, it does now after I broke off the little tabs that kept my rear windshield from working properly. Fix found on this forum, just like pretty much all the other...
  13. S

Rear wiper skips

This method worked almost perfectly for me, except that on one of the "fingers" my rocking of the cutters up and down actually busted the pot metal about an inch up before it cut all the way through. The other finger cut off perfectly, I'm guessing the pot metal on the other one has just gotten...
  14. S

Window Tinting 1999 XLT

Yeah, that's what my tint guy told me it was for my 98 sport as well. He used to tint for some of the Ford dealerships in the area, and he did alot explorers (he said). Mine looks to match perfectly.
  15. S

Wood Dash kit by Wood Dash Experts

I know this is an older post, but I'm interested in the kit installed by the OP since the rubber is flaking off my bezel and console. This kit appears to be unavailable everywhere I check, and the original website which sold the kit to the OP is webdark. It redirects to here...
  16. S

speakers, subs and factory amp.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25999 "Power Ratings: Base systems are rated at 24 Watts RMS (actually, Continuous Average Power)@ 10%THD Premium Systems are rated at 80 Watts RMS @ 10% THD Audiophile Systems are rated at 145 Watts RMS @ 2% THD (4X15W from the head unit...
  17. S

How To: Install aftermarket sub with stock enclosure in non-factory sub 2nd Gen Ex

The grill is something I've been looking for, since I plan on doing this for my non-sub equipped 98 Sport. Ebay seems to be a wash, and I can't find one anywhere online. Guess its going to be trips to the junkyard, ugh.
  18. S

Depreciation: Dropping like a rock

Especially American cars/suvs depreciate fast compared to most imports for some reason. It's kind of weird, as I also was a Harley owner before I sold it a few years back when we built a new home. It held its value really well. The bike/car world are opposites: American bikes (Harley) keep...
  19. S

Tape Radio to CD Radio, can I do this?

Holy crap, I'm glad you said something because I've been eyeing the 6cd in dash as well and was seriously considering replacing my single. Guess I'll just keep what i got.
  20. S

Sure: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-oem-6-disc-in-dash-cd-changer-am-fm-/250694782689 As long as there are the two holes on both sides of the radio and it is "square" it should be a plug n' play, at least as far as my research reveals. The only caveat is if you have a subwoofer...
  21. S

You might also look for the 6disc changer, which is in dash (no external unit). I've seen them go for about that price or slightly higher on Ebay in excellent condition, and they are exactly the same radio but take the 6 discs.
  22. S

Worth it to upgrade spkrs?

Thanks a ton for the info Saba and Joe! Unless someone has some incredible speaker review with stock hu, I'll probably just keep what I have for now. Guess you guys saved me some $300 or so, much appreciated amigos. Joe, really enjoy following some of your threads. The one where you were...
  23. S

Worth it to upgrade spkrs?

I've got a 98 Ex Sport with factory "premium" sound (no amp/sub) with the 5x7 "premium" whizzer cone speakers that came with the vehicle. I inspected them and they are in terrific condition, with no dry rot apparent and surrounds intact. I plan on keeping the factory cd hu, and realize it is...
  24. S

Can't stand the hard ride anymore...

What do you guys think about the BFGoodrich Long Trail T/A Tour? I have an appointment to have these put on my 98 Sport, and the reviews look good. http://www.discounttire.com/tireInfoBFGLongTrailTA.html
Back