Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. J

Front Diff is going. Worth repairing?

Yeah, I'll check the bearings this weekend. I really don't want to slay the Red Dragon because it's been a trooper all this time. I got a quote for a used diff for $400 and free shipping. Tack on another $600 or so for labor and I'm coming at around a grand+. I think it's definitely worth it...
  2. J

So then, would you say that the diff is working as it should and I should look into cleaning the hub or changing out the bearings as one other poster suggested? Should I still purchase another front diff?
  3. J

Hello all...Well about 3 weeks ago I took it to RS Strauss and they lifted it off the ground. At that time, all 4 wheels were spinning and the mechanic noticed that the diff was leaking. He cracked it open and only a little fluid dribbled out. He filled it up, placed a seal and said that I'll...
  4. J

Well, I took the Red Dragon into the mechanic because of hearing that grinding noise from the front. We lifted it up and watched the wheels spin. All wheels spun except for the front driver side wheel. Mechanic put a stethoscope up to the diff casing and there was the noise. My question is...
  5. J

Grinding noise coming from wheels in front.

No, the pulling started because the tire was gradually going flat. I intend to jack it up when I get home from work tomorrow afternoon and give the tires a turn. I HOPE it's something simple.
  6. J

Grinding noise coming from wheels in front.

Hello, hopefully someone can help me out. A week ago, I'm driving to work when my Ex started pulling to the left STRONGLY. As I drive along, the pull gets stronger and stronger until I hear a 'pssssssssssssssssssssst' sound. My drivers side tire went flat. I guide it off of the highway, change...
  7. J

Headlight Blew. WHY IS IT SO DAMN HARD TO JUST REPLACE A BULB?

There's no way in hell you can get that bulb out without removing the battery and even then it's extremely tight. I've been driving around with my high beams on. I refuse to take it to Ford so that they can charge me $200 to change a damn light bulb.
  8. J

Either you guys have extremely small hands or I'm going crazy. I passed my latest sanity test. I don't see no way in hell that you can lift the flap, stick your hand in that SMALL opening, twist the light, pull it out, replace and turn the housing back to lock it in. THERE IS NO WIGGLE ROOM...
  9. J

THANK YOU!!:D:D:D:D If I'm ever in your part of the world, the cold ones and hot wings are on me!!
  10. J

On edge are the operative words here. Any other ride that I've had, replacing the headlight bulb was the easiest thing in the world. On this Ford, I don't see how they expect you to turn the blue ring that has the bult in it when you have no room to work.
  11. J

I don't think you guys are understanding me. I had to TAKE OUT THE BATTERY in order to GET to the lightbulb and I STILL don't have ANY ROOM to twist the housing so that I can take the old bulb out! Does anyone have any photos of HOW I'm supposed to do this? It's absolutely amazing that...
  12. J

I'm trying to understand what the headlight covers under the hood are there for. When you lift them up, YOU STILL DON'T HAVE ROOM TO TAKE ANYTHING OUT!!:mad::mad::mad:
  13. J

Are the people at Ford complete IDIOTS or what? WTF is it so hard to SIMPLY REPLACE A HEADLIGHT BULB?:mad::mad: The driver side low beam light went out last night. Okay, so I pick up a bulb and I'm ready to put it in. WHY DO I HAVE TO TAKE OUT MY F--KIN' BATTERY? Once I do that, I STILL DON'T...
  14. J

Drivers side power buttons

Hello everyone. The power buttons on the drivers side of my ex have slowly been sinking each time I press them over the past 6 months. I opened the interior panel (SOOOOOO troublesome) and found that the entire module has disconected from the frame and is just hanging there. For the time being...
  15. J

A/C vent question.

Hello all, let me jump right in. On my 98 XLT the side vents by the driver side and the passenger side don't blow like they used to. The air flow is very low compared to what it was a few years back and the middle and rear vents. What do I look at to increase the air flow from those vents...
  16. J

I want my ex to sit higher

Thanks. I'll do a search on the twists and shackles. My Ex sits pretty low and I want to lift it up a bit.
  17. J

I want my ex to sit higher

Hello all. I have a 98 explorer awd. It's time to change the tires now and I want something a little bigger than the current 15's that it has. I want it to sit a little higher than it does now. Can I put a bigger tire around the 15in rim or should I get some shocks for the higher stance? Can I...
  18. J

Water pump?

Okay, here's the symptoms: Every few days, I have to add some coolant to the radiator. When I touch the pressure cap, even after I've been driving for awhile, there's never any pressure and I can take it off without danger. When I look at the temperature gauge, it's comfortably in the middle of...
  19. J

Bouncy brake pedal

Okay, thanks guys. I'll recheck the brakes this weekend and bleed if necessary.
  20. J

Bouncy brake pedal

Okay, here's the deal. I changed my front brake pads this past Saturday. I've changed my brakes hundreds of times so no big deal. After changing them THIS time, my brake pedal is spongy as a mutha! My question is: There's a little nipple on the top of the caliper with a rubber piece covering...
  21. J

Driver side seat repair

UPDATE: Ford has a recall on this very thing so I'm taking it in to them on Saturday for repair.
  22. J

Driver side seat repair

Hello all. Can anyone walk me through repairing my driver side seat? The bolt that allows the seat to move from upright to lying down snapped and now I can't get the seat to stand upright. I felt around and I pretty much know what it needs but I don't know how to take the leather seat cover off...
  23. J

Can't get 'em off!!

Hello all, does anyone here know what tool I could use to take off the swaybar connecting rods? Currently, I'm driving around without any connection between my lower control arms on both wheels and my front sway bar. the tops of the current connecting rods snapped off so I would either have to...
  24. J

awd performance vs. 4wd performance..

IMO, you can't go wrong with the AWD. When we get hit with some serious snow up here in NYC, I can park on snow mounds and plow through snow drifts with ease.
  25. J

WTF? Smoke from steering column, think it's turn signal

I get this same symptom also every once in a while. It usually stops after I take my foot off of the brake pedal.
Back