Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. M

doing the tranny

Well the hunt starts tomorrow. First going to check the junk yards for a tranny with like less then 100,000km (ya right) and if I find nothing I'll go hit up a few local shops. Jd I haven't done any research into swapping a c4 in but I'm assuming its a headache that's going to need a bunch of...
  2. M

doing the tranny

Ya kinda killed my idea of ripping the old trany out and just bolting another one in. So there's no way I'll be spending a few thousand for one of them new upgraded granny's you were talking about. So I'm either going to get mine rebuilt somewhere or just go pull one out of an x at a junkyard. I...
  3. M

doing the tranny

Holy cow. With all the info in that post that has such tight measurements I don't know if I'm going to be able to get this done at home. I replaced the tranny in a jimmy and seriously All i did was take the old one out and bolt a new one in. It ran awesome after.
  4. M

doing the tranny

Would also like to add that I've bin on a lot of other forums looking for insight and info on other project vehicles and this is by far the best one. Explorer people are just good people.
  5. M

doing the tranny

Hmm. So my Chevy has 700r in it but its from a v8 diesel so the advanced adapter wouldn't work? Don't think I want to go that route anyways. Do t want to change the transfer case and have the drive shaft nodded or any of that nonsence. After a few drinks and some not so heavy thinking I...
  6. M

doing the tranny

Hello everyone. First post in like a year and I'm happy to be back. I burned out my nasty a4ld in the snow using my ttb as a snow plow back in the woods last winter and just parked the truck and started other projects. Anyways I was worken on a 86 Chevy truck with the 6.2 diesel and that thing...
  7. M

need help with my brakes

so the missing part is called the wheel cylinder link. not sure how to get them though, the rear drum rebuild kits from lordco and napa and dont come with them and the ray bestos wheel cylinders i baught didnt come with them either... so im wondering if this will require a trip to an auto wrecker?
  8. M

need help with my brakes

just spent an hour going through the haynes repair book for my ranger, noticed the metal pieces that fit into the wheel cylinder and push on the brake shoes arnt in either of my drums (or listed as a part in the manuel). so im thinking thats got to be why i cant get pressure when i bleed the...
  9. M

need help with my brakes

so i replaced the rear wheel cylinders. but when i was bleading them one of the pistons poped right out of the cylinder. not sure why or what to do now. has this ever happened to anyone? or am i looking at an even bigger problem now? im out of idea's and im getting real close to just scraping...
  10. M

need help with my brakes

totaly forgot the mention the pads on the front brake im having problems with are getting pretty worn out. about 1/4 thick. so could the piston come out so far it gets stuck?
  11. M

need help with my brakes

thanks for the reply's, going to get new brake cylinders from the rear to fix the broken bleeder going to be about 50$, just got confirmation again from a different lorcdo store that the calipers are deffidently the same. about the front brake. the thing is that its not just a bit of brake...
  12. M

need help with my brakes

from the research i've done and a few calls to local autozone type stores the calipers seam to be the same. part numbers on lorco's computer is the same for my ranger and my explorer.
  13. M

need help with my brakes

just tryed to bleed the brakes again, and i managed to brake one of the rear bleeder screws in half. the threads are still in the drum. what now? lol
  14. M

need help with my brakes

i'll give it a try, hopefully get around to it on saturday. but what about the one caliper. is there a way to adjust it? because even when the brake pedal isnt being used the caliper still stays closed enough that the wheal drags when driven. o and the pedal is spongy like it would if none of...
  15. M

need help with my brakes

so basicly i baught the truck for the winch bumper... on the way home the front right caliper siezed up so i pulled it off the rotor and made it home with little to no brakes. i killed the explorer i got the winch bumper for so i stole a caliper from the x and replaced the one that seized on the...
  16. M

need help with my brakes

so i replaced a brake caliper on my 84 ranger and bled out the brakes and im still getting no brake pressure and the caliper i replaced gets so much pressure that even without the brake pedal depressed it stays locked up. any idea what the problem could be? the caliper i put on is from my...
  17. M

explorer ttb in a ranger?

so after reading on the ranger station i found out that i can directly swap my explorers d35 ttb into my 83 ranger. seams like a great idea because i have a 83 ranger with out front brakes and i have a 93 xplorer with no transmission. from what i've read it seams like sine the ttb mounts are...
  18. M

dead tranny

so my a4ld is shot, overheats fast and when its hot wont move forward unless its in 4low but reverses fine. clutchs burnt out? so now im wondering what to do, should i get a new explorer because i can get decent ones for around 1200$ or should i replace the tranny? im no mechanic but i did...
  19. M

TUV tested lift?

does the dmv have a list of manufacturers that make tuv tested lift? im sure if by law it has to be tuv tested that somewhere there is an up to date list of lifts that have passed the test. do you know if the tuv test is done privately? if the lifts need to get sent to some testing place before...
  20. M

TUV tested lift?

im sure you could call your country/area's department of motor vehicles or whoever enforced the tuv test rule and get a list of lift that pass. i mean, if lift need to be test for use there im sure they know which ones pass
  21. M

brake problem diagnosis

i will check the valve after i replace the caliper. if i put a block of wood into the caliper, bleed the brakes and still get nothing when i put down the pedal what could it be? the master cylinder? lol also the rotor heated up red hot before i realized the caliper was siezed, think it...
  22. M

brake problem diagnosis

hello everyone, i know this is a explorer forum but i'll ask anyways, the brakes on my 84 ranger stoped working entirely while i was driving home. first the front pass side siezed up and i didnt notice until the rotor was red hot. then i removed the caliper from the rotor tied it to the top of...
  23. M

93 Explorer into a 84 ranger?

hey there, the tranny in my explorer is pretty much done, i cant seam to solve its major over heating issue. so im thinking about robbing parts from it for my 84 ranger. anyone know if the front brakes (rotors and calipers) will transfer from my explorer to my ranger? also what about the starter...
  24. M

transmission getting hot

so my transmission keeps geting really hot. started one day with no previous tranny problems. im hoping to get it fixed and not need a new one so some help trouble shooting the problem would be good. havent changed the tranny oil since i got it but i've only put about 40,000km on it since then...
  25. M

84 ranger brake problem

hey all, baught an 84 ranger just to steal the winch bumper and put it on my explorer. so now i have this ranger i want to fix up a bit to either lift and make another trail rig or just sell in decent running condition. anyways to my question, the front passenger side brake siezed up while...
Back