Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. 4

oxygen sensors may be bad, need opinions

Many times CO2 sensors do not throw codes (or their own codes). They can cause other codes to flash because of the critical role they play with the drive-ability of your truck. Their function is to analyze exhaust to send to ECU so the proper and most efficient fuel/air mixture can be attained...
  2. 4

96 Explorer sun roof wont open and leaks inside

Spent time looking for fuses..then read about the redundant relays............the issue was to find the relay that controls the moon roof. It is just to the left of the center console. But it is up the firewall about 6 or 8 inches. There you will find at least one other relay.maybe two. The...
  3. 4

oxygen sensors may be bad, need opinions

Had the same issue with my 96 XLT. Good idea to replace both as they are the same age. But you are getting codes from both. Would advise replacing the bank 1 first. This is called upstream because it is before the catalytic converter This can also cause other seemingly unrelated codes. Your...
  4. 4

AC/Heat only come out through the defrost

Had similar experience as rustfarme. Logged onto this site and read various posts. No air coming from vents no matter what mode. Learned the door that deflects air to the ducts was not operating. Always begin with the most obvioul or simplest. So I looked for vacuum l,ine in engine bay. Found it...
  5. 4

Lumbar bladder losing air.

Lucky for me. My bladder deflated on trip to SF, I was stretching and pushed back into lumbar and the support disappeared. My first thoughts were burst bladder and how was I going to repair or replace. Reading the above I started with the obvious first. Picked up a a screw driver, pried at the...
  6. 4

Picked up this info from this site...............you just need to find the correct thread....line of conversation. Lumbar troubleshoooting Ok, I know this is somewhat of an older thread but I thought I would give some insight into the problem here. First, the pump is usually the last...
  7. 4

Just fixed this problem on my 96 Explorer. Are you online?
  8. 4

Not sure where to post. I have received so many helpful hints and info over the years. In the past year I have had issues with everything from lumbar bladder to A/C system rebuild. Great advice and pertinent information was found on this site for all. I learned so much and saved...
  9. 4

Just a big thank you

I have had the same experience on this site and its various forums. No nonsense, accurate advice from people like you and me. No hidden agendas. not trying to sell you anything. Can't tell you how many times this site has solved any and all issues I have had with my Explorer. Cannot thank all of...
  10. 4

Changing transmission fluid

Concur with all above. SKIP THE FLUSH. Chances are high it would cause more problems.I would add to change transmission fluid and filter. Be sure to clean pan and wipe any accumulation of grit from magnets. Above issues disappeared from my 96 Explorer after change. Drives like new, no hard...
  11. 4

Trans wont kick down when in overdrive

Concur with all above. I would add to change transmission fluid and filter. Be sure to clean pan and wipe any accumulation of grit from magnets. Above issues disappeared from my 96 Explorer after change. Does not hurt to add magnet to inside of pan, Transmissions hate grit/metal filings.
  12. 4

Can CMP Synch be changed with engine in place (4.0 OHV)?

CMP install 4.0 EFI 1996 Ford Explorer 4.0 MFI Camshaft Position Sensor (installation) For those who have the less powerful 4.0…..this is the 160 hp type X engine,,,,,,the changing of the CPM…or camshaft position sensor,,,,,,can be quite a challenge. This not the 4.0 OHV engine. I...
  13. 4

Camshaft positioning sensor replacement

camshaft position sensor install 1996 Ford Explorer 4.0 MFI Camshaft Position Sensor (installation) For those who have the less powerful 4.0…..this is the 160 hp type X engine,,,,,,the changing of the CPM…or camshaft position sensor,,,,,,can be quite a challenge. This not the 4.0 OHV...
  14. 4

Vehicle Speed Sensor Replaced but still 0500 Code.

Thanks for the advice...........getting conflicting info from mechanics.....will give it a try....any possibility speedometer is faulty?
  15. 4

Vehicle Speed Sensor Replaced but still 0500 Code.

Erratic speedometer How do I test wiring? Ohm meter? Replaced the sensor twice,,,,,,,,,,,,works erratically briefly then only at highway speed or accelerating (but still jumpy) Trans shop said all gears ok, no missing teeth or chips
  16. 4

Transfer case VSS gear question

Make sure you are getting the correct driven gear. Two transmission suppliers sold me the wrong gear. If you have original...take with you to Ford dealer. Also my TC BW 4405 on '96 Control Trac must be split to replace the driving gear...so I am told. Anyone with different info?
  17. 4

MPG recently dropped- EGR code.

Cleared EGR tube to manifold as suggested by mechanic. No change. Code reappeared. Replacing EGR (non electric) valve today. Any other suggestions?
Back