Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. J

Broken radiator drain plug

I broke the factory plug on my 03 STR I backed it out with a 5/16 allen socket (allen wrench will work) and just pulled it out after the threads were completely out of the radiator. Try squezing the tang that goes into the radiator.
  2. J

Lower Control arm removal help needed

try looking at this http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=188225
  3. J

Various Questions

Have your cooling system pressure tested if you do have a lown head gasket that should tell you.
  4. J

Need to do some brakes/shocks work

Easy fixes I just did all of this work this past spring with the exception of the rear shocks they were a PIA. Just make sure you have a decent jack and jackstands for safty. I replaced front and rear rotor, pads wheel bearings and races and front shocks can be done in a day or over the...
  5. J

leaking and stinking

Oil filter maybe Have you changed the oil filter recently? If I remember correctly the oil filter is close to the exhaust pipe.
  6. J

Location of heater control valve on 2003 sport trac

I found it, it is behind the passenger side fender well. Take the mud guard off there it is.
  7. J

Location of heater control valve on 2003 sport trac

I have looked all over the engine and can't find it according to pictures of the part I researched. The only thing that I have found that could be the valve is an inline T in the heater hose with a large vacumn line running to it.
  8. J

2002 Sport Track Heater Control Valve

I have been looking for it where can I find it lol?? sorry I meant 2003
  9. J

I changed mine this weekend used a 5/16 allen socket maybe should have goten an aftermarket piece but didn't know if the thread size was the same.
  10. J

O rings on temp sensor/sender 03 sport trac

Thank you for the tip, Ford doesn't stock the O rings. I plan to work on this this weekend.
  11. J

O rings on temp sensor/sender 03 sport trac

Has anyone tried replacing the O rings on the temp sensor/sender. I replaced my thermostat housing but not the sensor/sender and I have a slight seep around the O rings I think. There is no coolant pooling on the top of the of the housing but there is a ring of coolant around the base of the...
  12. J

Surprised me too when I called the dealer. It must be a high brakage item, I watched him get the part he didn't have to go back in the corner it was right up front. lol
  13. J

For those of us that get heavy handed and break off the drain plug, the old one can be removed with a 5/16 allen wrench. I just picked one up from the dealer. I wasn't sure about an after market piece 8.97 at the dealer.
  14. J

2003 Sport Trac Thermostat Housing

It was only seeping, but I do have one problem, I tightened down too much on the drain plug and rung it partially off and I need to figure out how to back it out and get a new one in it's not leaking but I don't want to wait to long.
  15. J

2003 Sport Trac Thermostat Housing

I replaced my thermostat housing today and had the parts for a while waiting for the weather to cool down some. Got my parts from Rock Auto, they were a perfect replacement the housing parts were packaged in Ford boxes. And way cheaper than a dealer I ordered them on a Saturday and got them on...
  16. J

Seafoam Engine Cleaner

I don't have any problems per say, I was in a parts dealer and some people came in looking for it. One guy was complaining about the trashy ethanol and what it does to O2 sensors and such. Another small engine person popped up and said it wrecks carbs and such on small motors just looking for...
  17. J

Seafoam Engine Cleaner

Anybody have any experience using Seafoam to treat their fuel or any of the other claims they make.
  18. J

Update to my Coollant Loss Thread

I stopped loosing coolant after I refilled the radiator and added to the overflow tank I haven't lost any fluid. For some reason I looped the upper radiator hose over the engine oil fill pipe and this must have created a kink and cause some back pressure. Don't remember why I did it to start...
  19. J

Coolant loss

Hey Newport News, I lived in Norfolk for 42 years before moving to Charlotte. Yes I have decided to do it myself I have the tools just need to get the flex head socket, I ordered the upper and lower housing from Rock Auto this morning under $50 not bad seeing O'Riely wanted $48 for the lower...
  20. J

Coolant loss

Yes I found this not long after I signed up for the site, Kind of had an idea one day I would be doing this. Thanks again:thumbsup:
  21. J

Coolant loss

Well I took the truck to the shop this morning to get pressure checked. They put the truck on a lift and found where coolant was dripping down. It appears the leak was the thermostat housing. If I want to they agreed to install my new parts for the cost of labor which should be roughly 2 hrs...
  22. J

Coolant loss

Thanks all for your input.
  23. J

Coolant loss

My question now is the problem the upper clamp or bypass hose?
  24. J

Coolant loss

Right now the best I can tell the odor is coming from the front passenger side near the radiator. I took a piece of newspaper and rolled it up tight and forced it behind the thermostat housing to see if I picked up any moisture (nothing). Is it possible for the thermostat O ring to...
  25. J

Coolant loss

I have read a number of threads concerning cooland loss pointing towards the thermostat housing. I am loosing cooland but cannot not see any leaks around the housing. I have replace the radiator cap. I can smell it when I stop but do not see any thing on the ground. I am going to get it...
Back