Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. S

front end noise

After a brief phone conversation with someone in the service department, they said the problem was with the planetary gear, and it's being replaced. I'll pick it up tomorrow and try to get more details as well as find out if the noise is really gone or not. I kinda got the feeling that...
  2. S

front end noise

Or, if you can definitely tell the noise is coming from the front, rotate your tires and see if the location of the noise changes. My transmission is being torn apart right now for my noise. Still no details on the exact cause or fix yet.
  3. S

front end noise

I have a very similar noise in my Explorer. The dealership is checking it out so I'll let you know what they find. My noise starts at about 55mph and is a very low pitched vibration type of noise that increases with speed. The bearings checked out ok. They think it's coming from the...
  4. S

blind spot mirror for '04?

I know some people will insist that you need them, but I don't believe you do. Adjust your sideview mirrors to where you can't even see the side of your car without leaning closer to them. You should be able to see a car in them as it leaves your peripheral vision and see it appear in your...
  5. S

How to: 5R55E Valve Body Rebuild Diary

Well, I read through the thread and got kinda lost (due to my own ignorance), but I think what I would want would just be the Transgo or Superior valve body rebuild, right? I just want to get rid of the 2-3 flare.
  6. S

How to: 5R55E Valve Body Rebuild Diary

How much should we expect to pay a reputable shop to do this for us? I have a 2002 XLT with the 2-3 shift flare.
  7. S

---looking to buy---advice---quick---

I just bought one w/ 73k miles and I'm having transmission troubles already and an unidentified humming noise. If you have it on loan for a while and don't notice anything wrong with it then there's a good chance it will last a lot longer. Problem areas from what I've read are the sealed...
  8. S

'02 3.73 LS differential howl

Well, it's definitely not the difference in tire size (tread depth) making the noise. I rotated the tires and now have two new tires on the rear and the old tire on the front. I'm still getting a low pitched rumble/humming noise around 60 mph and above. Do wheel bearings make low pitched...
  9. S

'02 3.73 LS differential howl

I just bought an 02 Explorer with the 3.73 LSD and experience a low pitch humming noise about 60 mph+ (it gets higher pitched as you go faster and does *not* stop when I let off the gas). I noticed that the dealership put a newer tire on the left rear which has slightly deeper tread. Could...
  10. S

Cooper Discoverer H/T

Just wanted to provide a quick thumbs up for my new Cooper Discoverer H/Ts. They were a good price, get good wet and dry grip, look good, and ride nice and quiet. Plus, they have a 60,000 mile treadware warranty! I like them much better than the Firestone A/Ts that were on there before.
  11. S

Replaced tensioner, still squeaks

Next time, try replacing the belt yourself. There are instructions on the car right above the radiator - facing you when you open the hood. The belt cost $24 at Autozone and it takes about 5 minutes.
  12. S

I replaced the belt anyway and cleaned the grooves out on the pulleys. Squeak gone! Thanks!
  13. S

The belt appears to be in good shape. It doesn't squeal like a bad belt, it makes a cricket chirping noise when the A/C is off, so I don't think it's the belt.
  14. S

... so it must be one of the pulleys, right? One thing I noticed is that it only squeaks when the A/C is off - which leads me to believe it's the pulley for the A/C. Am I on the right track?
  15. S

pulley or tensioner?

I've searched and found lots of good stuff on fixing my squeaky belt. However, I can't tell if I have a pulley squeaking, or if I need a new tensioner. Is there a definitive way to tell exactly which part I should replace? Thanks, Scott
  16. S

Hesitation, stumbling; End of my rope.

A leak in the intake somewhere after the MAF? It happened to me, and since I didn't get it fixed in time, it led to lots of other expensive damages...
  17. S

Changing Synthetic Oil

Amsoil oil will last for 25,000 miles. They guarantee it. Many people also report increased gas mileage. Also, their filters will last for 12,500 miles while providing superior filtration.
  18. S

Kumho Ecsta Supra 712

I would go with something else for mostly highway driving. These will wear out much quicker than normal tires, and they are bad about following road imperfections - the car is always pulling left or right. They are also loud. They are good, affordable tires in the high performance category...
  19. S

Kumho Ecsta Supra 712

They are good high performance tires for their price. I have some on my car. They have really good traction (not the best), great wet traction, and have reasonable treadware (for those kinds of tires). Best of all, they are much cheaper than most others in their category. They may be...
  20. S

Scam? Or does this thing really work??

Bashman - every boat motor sold these days has anodes (in a few places) hooked up to the battery to stop rust. They work really well.
  21. S

EGR Valve

Ditto what dogfriend said. I'd double and triple check all the hoses to the DPFE. Mine were busted on the back-side. Also, I'd get this fixed IMMEDIATELY. If there is a leak somewhere in the intake or EGR system, it can cause a lean condition, which causes really hot exhaust gasses. If...
  22. S

Scam? Or does this thing really work??

It works for boats, don't see why it wouldn't work for cars. I've never considered rust to be a big problem on cars and trucks though. I guess it could be for older ones.
  23. S

Considering Explorer

I have to agree with the idea that rice burners are more reliable (for whatever reason) than American made cars. So does Consumer Reports and JDPower. They win in both long-term reliability and initial quality. I'd also agree that it's partly b/c they generally come with weaker engines...
  24. S

$1300 repair bill

Just got a $1300 repair bill on the Explorer. They are replacing the upper intake plenum (a hole had melted in it), all vacuum hoses (again, heat damage), all spark plugs and ignition wires. I think that's it. Maybe some other EGR related sensors or valves, I forget. It's a dealer shop...
  25. S

Codes P0174 & P0171

I have the same codes, and have cleaned the MAF sensor, as well as replacing a busted hose to the DFPE. The problem still persists, along with p0305. Any ideas?
Back