Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. D

Airbag Light

There are quite a few threads on this issue. The light blinks in a pattern: it will blink a certain number of times, stop, then blink a second number of times to make a two-digit code. Now, based on past threads, it could mean it is the passenger or driver side airbag. I have had an airbag...
  2. D

My liftgate is opening while driving.

This used to happen to my 2002 Explorer. It was really weird having to pull over in downtown Indianapolis after my glass liftgate randomly opened. It has been about a year since. My fix was lubricating the latch with lithium grease and locking the doors multiple times before driving. I think...
  3. D

Sway Bar Links Question

Old bushings fused to plastic sheath On closer inspection, my passenger front link was as Esclamada's. The top corroded and fell off. So I cut it off above the second lowest bushing. It appears the bushing is fused to the plastic. Maybe I'll have to borrow a Dremel but is there another way...
  4. D

Sway Bar Links Question

Thanks for the pictures guys. This will really help. What model number for Moog's is needed? Well, the reason I asked about torquing is I don't own such a beast as a torque wrench. As for oil changes, the shop I go to charges $30. Supplies are already $20+, so it's not a bad deal. I'll bet...
  5. D

Sway Bar Links Question

Thanks esclamada. That's a great Facebook tutorial!
  6. D

Sway Bar Links Question

Hi all, This forum is encouraging me to have confidence in working on my Ex myself, but so far I've just done little things, such as wiring. I haven't even done an oil change myself. :help: I noticed today one of my front sway bar links is nonexistent and I want this to be my first...
  7. D

What kind of mileage is your 3rd gen getting?

I record my mileage on gas receipts. Based on like 200 highway miles a week, my V6 4L gets about 22 MPG. I have never used E85 in my capable engine because it is still not economical compared to velociraptor oil.
  8. D

Spare Tire on Highway?

Well, today I got a free repair from a national chain tire shop while my trusted place wanted $25. They also warned me what a coworker also observed: The lug nut holes on the spare were terribly warped, they were oval. So they did get $87 out of me for a new wheel. I did survive the weekday...
  9. D

Spare Tire on Highway?

It's in the tread. I read about sidewall repairs being risky.
  10. D

Spare Tire on Highway?

Yes, I tightened them as tight as I could. Thanks for the info. I hope they can fix the nail hole without replacing the whole tire!
  11. D

Spare Tire on Highway?

Hello all, I've been driving since 2008 and just had my first nail-in-tire! :thumbdwn: It was really windy so I thought my car was merely getting blown by hard wind, after traveling 50 miles round trip on the interstate, I stopped at Target and noticed I had a flat with a nail in it! I...
  12. D

Center Rear Brown Fluid Spill (2002)

Thanks for your analyses. I will have it checked out. :thumbsup:
  13. D

Thanks - would this be considered a concern?
  14. D

Fellow Explorers, I'm not very knowledgeable about cars, but I'm guessing this is the transmission fluid? Or the differential? I just saw a brown puddle in my garage situated approximately between the rear wheels. This vehicle has stained my driveway and garage with fluid drips but this looks...
  15. D

Lube job?

Using an aerosol can of white lithium grease, I have lubed the sway bar bushings, ball joints, door locks, hinges, and whatever else on the underbody that looked like it could use it. I figure a little coating of grease on the outside of the suspension might help a bit. My Explorer's ball...
  16. D

Rear hatch glass hinges

I took my 02 in this past June and got a free recall repair. It took 24 days and it was unsafe to drive the car..... I asked the Service Dept for a rental car and was denied -- so I called the salesman my father bought it from in 2001 and the manager. I got a Fusion! :D They said Ford had many...
  17. D

Greasing the Underbody

Hello, Are there any grease fittings on the stock 2002 Ford Explorer XLT? I've been hearing some sounds that I suspect, from limited Google and Explorer Forum research, is the sway bar bush bearings. When I turn my wheels under 20 mph, I can hear what sounds like rubber on metal, like a...
  18. D

Driver's Seat Bolts

:thumbsup: Thanks a lot! This sure saved me from wasting my time. I used 12 AWG wire while the stock wire is a lot thinner. Although I used some disconnect plugs, I did the ole "twist and tape" to lengthen the wires. The code is cleared now, but if it comes back, I will definitely get 14 or...
  19. D

Driver's Seat Bolts

After spending 5 hours in the baking sun installing hide-away LED's in my front turn lights and tail lights, I got the airbag light again. Now I found out from "Car Complaints," a website, that there is also a passenger side connector. I never thought to check the other side. Ugh.
  20. D

Driver's Seat Bolts

FYI, what I noticed was that the wires going into the plug on both sides were directly attached to the metal prongs inside. However, those prongs were freely spinning around. A basic part of working on electrical stuff is that loose contacts are dangerous and don't conduct as well. There is a...
  21. D

Driver's Seat Bolts

Thanks BigRondo. I'll stand by. I had the three flash code of the airbag light a few times and originally thought it was because I am the first driver to put the seat as far back as possible. But my dad (average height) told me that was an ongoing problem. Out of two socket wrench sets, I...
  22. D

Driver's Seat Bolts

After numerous little fixes on the driver's seat airbag sensor plug, I decided I needed to get rid of the OEM plug because the contacts were flimsy. I took a seat out of a car for the first time! I cut off the switch and put in Male/Female disconnect plugs. I also added a few inches to each wire...
  23. D

Rear hatch glass hinges

Note: I hope this is not frowned upon for reviving an old thread, but I just wanted to make note of something. I have a 2002 Explorer XLT and on June 26th, the original liftgate glass hinges finally broke. I opened the glass for the first time in months since seeing one starting to flex, and...
  24. D

moisture in tail light

My 02 Explorer had a small hole in one of the taillights from a minor bump. After a while of doing nothing, condensation built up. My solution sounds funny, but it worked for me. Take the tail light housing out and leave the bulbs hanging. With a rag and a little screwdriver, push the rag in...
  25. D

Speakers cut out randomly - fix for this?

I haven't done any car audio, but as for home audio, loose wiring can be a culprit for the speakers not working correctly. You might see if you can take the speaker out and check the connections.
Back