Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. 9

What about the CATS?

What is there to be gained from gutting the Catalytic Converters on our X's? I know that it's a good hp mod on some vehicles but just wondering what it would do as far as improving HP, fuel milege, etc...on my X?
  2. 9

Cheap Modes that incrase MPG

Well, after reading all of the posts on improving gas mileage and seeing the prices at the pump (only 2.86 for regular in my area) I decided to go for better mileage as well. I bought a new paper filter just cause I needed on and gave myself a baseline test. Turned out to 347 miles on one the...
  3. 9

Lift support cylinders not holding the hood up

I've purchased replacements at Advanced and the lifter on the passenger side keeps breaking at the attachment point closest to the cowl. Can't figure out what's causing it but I've been through two now.
  4. 9

135,000 miles, what needs updates???

I have a pretty good knowledge of vehicle maintenance but I don't claim to be a mechanic or know that much. I can do just about anything when it comes to working on a vehicle outside of the motor but not if I don't know what to do. I'm hitting the mid 130's on my '96 XLT 4x4 and I'm...
  5. 9

White noise after deck install

I got a new, relatively inexpensive, CD player for my 96 Ex to replace the tape deck. I had some problems during the hookup and read through some posts and figured out why I wasn't getting any sound. The problem was with using the blue wire from the harness adapter and not the blue white wire...
  6. 9

Changing Front Pads and rotors

Well, the brakes are working great. Someone pulled out in front of my wife yesterday and she had to slam them on. No problems, no squeaks and nice smooth, even stopping. Thanks for the tips and pointers.
  7. 9

Final question. Got everything together and noticed the shims in the brake pad box that I didn't use. They said they were only for applications where they were O.E.M. Does my X require these shims? As far as the install, everything went fairly smooth. The passenger side only took about 45...
  8. 9

Oh, and another thing, this probably sounds dumb but this is my first stab at brakes. Once the pistons are compressed, they stay there or is there something else I need to hold them while I fit it over the pads? Everything else went well, I've just got to get the clamp.
  9. 9

I don't have it back together yet so I guess It's good that I read this. What are you referring to with the slide pins, the compressable part outside of the bracket with the rubber cover? Disk brake quiet? I discovered that I don't have a C-clamp large enough to compress the pistons back...
  10. 9

got it now i'm trying to get the pads "clipped in"
  11. 9

Okay, I've been beating on the passenger side rotor for about 20 minutes now and nothing. Any tips on getting this thing off. I'm off to find a bigger hammer, I'll check back in a bit.
  12. 9

I REALLY appreciate the responses guys. I'm going to buy the stuff now, I'll let you know how it goes.
  13. 9

So I just unscrew the two bolts holding the caliper, change out the pads, by whatever means possible get the rotors off, put the new ones on and reassemble? That sounds easy enough. What about this screw you need to loosen to keep from forcing bad fluid back up into the system, is this still...
  14. 9

Well, I decided that if there are problems with the fronts that I might as well go ahead with the rears too. I checked prices for replacement rotors and pads front and back and at AutoZone it's gonna be ~170 bucks for everything I need to do it myself. I checked with Midas and they want...
  15. 9

I've got some serious brake issues and need to change the front pads and probably rotors (110,000 miles). I might be able to just get the rotors turned but I was wondering how much all of this would cost for parts. (Don't want cheapies, but it doesn't have to be top of the line either)...
  16. 9

CEL on with codes 326 and 538??

My X had that problem with the vibration and it ended up being a knot in one of the tires. The rubber was still good but some of the bands underneath had let go and there was a raised spot on the tire. You couldn't really see it very well but you could definately feel it when your driving.
  17. 9

Which plugs and wires?

What do you all recommend in the way of plugs and wires. Should I go with the motorsport wires or is there something better out there. I've got MSD 8.5 wires and NGK plugs on my Camaro but I'm not sure what to use for the X. Thanks,
  18. 9

Check engine light...

Well, I'm back. After several WOT runs at varying speeds (normally kicks the check engine light back on) still no light. It looks like I might have taken care of the problem. Next, to get the plugs and wires changed.
  19. 9

dpfe

BTW, mine was a cast (metal) piece and not black, also the tubes had a slightly different arrangement. Not sure what your's will look like but just so you know, they aren't all the same.
  20. 9

Check engine light...

Well, I just replaced the driver's side front O2 sensor and the DPFE, got them at AutoZone for ~100 bucks for both, Advanced wanted 77 dollars just for the DPFE. I'm about to take the X out for a test drive, hopefully the check engine light will be no more. If not I guess I'll post again...
  21. 9

dpfe

I just finished replacing mine. It took about 15 minutes. It's located on the driver's side of the intake right above the egr valve. Do a search for dpfe and open the post titled identify this part and that will show you what it is.
  22. 9

Need a new bezel for around the radio/AC

Thanks, but I need the fog light button in there.
  23. 9

Check engine light...

I went to AutoZone tonight and got the PCM rescanned after the EGR valve change and the same codes came up. They were, EGR System Insufficient Flow and Oxygen Sensor Low Voltage, Bank 1 sensor 1. Does this look like the DPFE and the driver's side O2 both, or would/could one cause both of...
  24. 9

Newbie question...

Sorry about my lack of knowledge but I know alot about LS1 Camaro's and nothing about my Explorer. What is Torsion twist and add-a-leaf. I'd do a search but don't have time right now. I can look it up later if no one responds.
  25. 9

Newbie question...

I know that all of you experienced guys hate to hear this kind of question but I'm hoping for some good information on modifications for my stock '96 4.0. Just some information for you all: like I said, it's bone stock, and to describe it's use, it's a daily driver with the occasional mild...
Back