Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. T

31" tires and now handles loose

If you added new tires and didn't get an alignment, you need to start there. You should always get your alignment checked whenever you "modify" your suspension. This includes but not limited to: lifting, lowering, new shocks, new/different tires. Get the alignment checked and then go from there.
  2. T

Clutch Pressure Varies/Inconsistent

The fluid was new from the dealer and I replaced it with RP Synchromax a while back. It shifts smoother but the clutch pressure issue isn't related to that. I'm thinking the Slave is just garbage. The rubber freeze plug issue was resolved by ford on the newer models of this tranny, I believe...
  3. T

Clutch Pressure Varies/Inconsistent

2002 Sport trac, SOHC, Mazda R-5 tranny Alrighty. The truck has been to the dealer twice for tranny issues. 1st was for the "typical" 3rd gear synchro that seems to be common dating back to my 1980 mustang. Different tranny but same problem. Second time, tranny fluid had mysteriously drained...
  4. T

'04 sport trac XLTfuel sensor

The check engine light will stay on for a while until the trac runs through a full cycle without experiencing any problems. Not certain how long that is but I have heard it will reset after 10 starts without encountering another problem. You can also disconnect the negative battery terminal for...
  5. T

Wheel offset??

Offset depends on wheel width, not diameter. How wide a wheel are you going with?
  6. T

JL w3v2 10" vs. Infinity Kappa svc 10"

Polyfill is mainly used to make a small enclosure seem larger to the sub. I've heard as much as 15-20% larger, though that seems a bit high. If your sub enclosure meets the specs of the manufacturer, PF probably won't make a difference however, the only way to know for sure is to try different...
  7. T

Got an awesome deal of Woofers!

Those subs are Best Buy specials. They are entry level at best. I'm not knocking them but they are more for show than go.
  8. T

JL w3v2 10" vs. Infinity Kappa svc 10"

Don't have an experience opinion on either sub since I've never used either. Based on the numbers you posted the Kappa's are cheaper with better sensitivity and about the same power handling, so I would go with them, but again I have had no experience with either. As far as polyfill, it's...
  9. T

tuning my amp

1. turn the gain down and turn the boost on the amp down. these are not volume controls. For rough amp tuning, find out what the output voltage on your HU/pre-amp is. if it's not and upper end unit, it will probably be about 1.8 volts. This is roughly where you will set your gain on your...
  10. T

Need Amp Upgrade!

Here's what you want/need. Will give you more than sufficient power for that L7 and is well under your budget which will allow for a new amp wiring kit which you will probably need: http://www.sounddomain.com/sku/JBLBP12001 .
  11. T

What ohms is my 2001 running at?

Don't know. If I had to guess I would think factory equipment runs 4 ohm but this is just a guess. I wouldn't waste my time hooking the new sub to the stock system. That system is designed to work together and I'd bet the new sub will sound poor with the stock system.
  12. T

How to: Speaker enclosure fabrication - WorkLog - 2 challenges 3 & 7. Just for Fun, Nothing Fancy!!

BBQ, Though I am not a regular here, I do read quite often. If the above listed Kenwood cable will suit your needs, I have one. 15 ft. new, unused, and it's yours for the price of shipping. Just drop me an email.
  13. T

What amp would go good with a "15 sub?

Nozerider, your sub is a dvc 2Ohm sub. Which means it can run at 1ohm or at 4ohm's depending on how you wire it, parallel or series respectively. Most, if not all, dvc subs require you to use both voice coils, otherwise you risk damaging the sub. That being the case, unless that sub...
  14. T

Good cheap sub? MtX 8000? What does it compare to?

How about Adire Audio. I haven't tried them but they get rave reviews. The Shiva is a dual 8ohm sub that has a balanced SQ/SPL reputation. Many other audio boards love this thing and for $125 shipped it seems to be in your price range. Just a consideration if you haven't commited yet. For...
  15. T

Aftermarket MoonRoofs!! What are the Best Brands Available??

Webasto seems to be very popular in the aftermarket. I would suggest going to one of the "upscale" dealerships (mercedes, porsche, bimmer etc) and see who installs their moonroofs and go check the place out for yourself. Should run you between 8-1100 bucks.
  16. T

Is it possible to fit a DoubleDin in a 99 Explorer

If you will be replacing with two single din units you will have to do some trimming, about an 1/8" on the top and bottom of the radio hole in the bezel, but it is possible. If it is an aftermarket double din I would think it would fit perfectly, the ford radio isn't quite double din, just a bit...
  17. T

2002 ford explorer sport trac

You may also want to check here: www.mysporttrac.com which will be a bit more vehicle specific for your needs. I too am a sport trac owner and you will find a great deal of info over there as well as write-ups and how-to's just as you find here. I don't think there are any differences in doing...
  18. T

U HAUL AGAINST EXPLORERS!!!!

Don't know if this has been posted since I haven't read through all the posts, so I'll take the chance that it hasn't. There is a protest site up for the current issue dealing with U-haul and explorers. I suggest everyone who is against u-haul not renting to Ex owners go and sign it...
  19. T

Need a lil help

You can use some contact cement and glue them back together. This has been done with subs suffering from similar damage and they have performed pretty much the same after a contact cement repair, so i thin you can pull it off with the kappa's.
  20. T

stock wires?

I agree with the bass being turned up too high, but would also consider checking your wiring to make sure you didn't reverse the polarity of your speakers. IE make sure the + on the amp is connected to the + on the speakers and obviously the - would be correct by default.
  21. T

Dash kit with EQ...

What kind of EQ? Actually, what size? If it's full a full din unit, I don't think the scosche kit will work, at least, using kenwood components it didn't work for me. I installed both units using the cages mounted to the bezel. I cut the bottom of the cage off the top unit and the top of the...
  22. T

sticking gauges

take a little clear silicone and put it on the back of the aftermarket faces so they stick to the stock faces. The indiglo or reverse glow tend to bow out a bit and this will keep them from bowing. Make sure the silicone cures a bit before putting the cluster back together. I suggest a couple...
  23. T

Dang painted interior peices..

If you want it to last, you should take everything apart and paint and clear coat it yourself. The dealer will/should cover it under warranty but it will be the same parts with the same problems if your not careful. The door pulls will probably fade again due to normal wear and tear, I painted...
  24. T

SOHC Headers!!

The consensus is that the headers on the SOHC are pretty efficient and there isn't too much power to be found in the headers. They are made by JBA and come in chrome and ceramic coated. If you decide to buy the ceramic are the way to go for longevity and looks.
  25. T

Lowering Block Dimensions

You would also need longer u-bolts which will run you about $10 a pair in most auto parts stores. Since you need two pairs, your savings just went out the window.
Back