Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. 9

VSS issue.

Hey guys need some help, I did a trans swap in my 96 explorer 4x4 with a trans and transfer case swap from a 98 4x4, I know that I'm having some issues with the 5 speed acting like a 4 speed which is an issue of its own but no big deal. Question i have is is there anyway to get the 96 to read...
  2. 9

Transmission help

I have a 96 XLT 4.0L AT 4x4. This truck has been a great vehicle got it back in 2012 as a weekend warrior and then turned into a daily and everything in between. Im on my second transmission, 5th transfer case, and 3rd torque converter. recently I lost my second transmission, will only go in...
  3. 9

Need GEM help ASAP.

Ok so I have a 1996 Explorer xlt 4x4. When I parked it last week it was running perfect and all electronics worked. But went to drive it today and the radio doesn't have power and the wipers don't turn on front or back but the back sprays but no wipers also no cruise control and the 4 wheel...
  4. 9

Show off your LIFTED 2nd GEN

Love the camp it's real tree right I did mine with mossy oak.
  5. 9

Transfer case question

So I blew my transfer case gears so I went to the salvage yard to just buy another case till I can afford to rebuild my other there was only three 4405s out there so naturally I go to the one with lowest miles first to see if it's good so I pull the drain plug to see the fluid condition for a...
  6. 9

Show off your LIFTED 2nd GEN

Where did you pick that front bumper up at Tom?
  7. 9

diff gear help.

Thanks guys. That chart does help and to gain better power off road I can deal with losing 5 mph for crusing. If you could find that tread on thegear grinding that would be great.
  8. 9

diff gear help.

Ok cool well 4.56 it is then. Any advice on installing them I heard a rumor you have to cut the carrier to fit 4.56. My current set up is 3.73 LSD
  9. 9

diff gear help.

I do Mud alot expecially since Im moving back to Texas in Feb. But yea this is the first truck ive had 33's on before it was all 31s and 32s. Like i was saying though I dont need to go fast just need to go 70. I know 4.10s will bring me close back close to stock but Im looking to get a little...
  10. 9

diff gear help.

So I got a 96 Explorer sitting on 33's its the 4.0 auto 4x4 4d. It runs great down the road with the stock 3.73 gears but I want to swap my gears which would be better 4.10 or 4.56 I need to still be able to go 70-75 MPH due to traveling. But I want the best performance off road with out losing...
  11. 9

anyone in nc

Fort Bragg area here been looking for other Explorers around not to many here a couple sport tracs but not many 4 door Exs. As far as Uwharrie I loved it out there it wasnt to bad in my 96 4 door with TT shackel and 3 in body lift and 33s. Just avoid the pit it is a truck killer you'll know were...
  12. 9

Question on laws regaurding Snorkels

Yea I had a experence like that back with my 83 bronco. This guy had a 84 K5 and was bragging all day on friday bout how he just got done spending 10k on his drivetrain and suspension, he was dogging on me bout my bronco being stock hieght and just sitting on 31/10.50/15Rs. next day he was...
  13. 9

Thanks, I just wanted to make sure. I had heard a while back from a freind that it was illegal in texas but i saw them everywhere. I think he just did want me to have one cause it would be better then his truck.
  14. 9

I did a google search and didnt find exactly what I was looking for. Does anyone know the laws in North Carolina and Texas regauding Snorkel kits? I am planing to build a kit for my 96 Explorer and wanteed to know if the truck will still be legal.
  15. 9

Hello from NC

So Ive been on this forum for a little over a month and just realized I never introduced my self. Im Josh, I am currently serving at Ft Bragg, NC. If theres anyone in NC doing any EF events or meet ups let me know I should be able to attend starting late september, also does anyone know any good...
  16. 9

Putting on Soft 8

Ok I’ll try the chalk method when I get my tires. It’s going to be a little while before I can try this though due to me being downrange at the moment I’m just trying to get the parts sent to my house before i get home so I can build my Explorer the first week I get home. Thanks ya’ll for the...
  17. 9

Putting on Soft 8

I understand the air down at the destinaion and up when on road. i got to drive this truck daily bout 6 miles a day and weekends bout 60 or more. so i need best all round. i think im going to get the 15x10s. I was wanting to save a few bucks by getting the 15x8s. as far as the compressor i got...
  18. 9

Putting on Soft 8

Well Im buy 33/12.50/15s and was going to run 15x8s but the more im reading I got kinda confused. I know normally if you run low PSI you would blow a tire or pop a beed. But I keep reading bout people runing low PSI. Im going to have to drive atleast 45 miles to get to any good Offroad areas...
  19. 9

Need tire reviews.

ok so I found these they are a good price and my uncle has falkens and loves them. but im getting mixed reviews on this exact style. I hear for biger vehicles they suck but jeeps there fine. I havent seen any reviews for someone with an Explorer. does anyone know. (ps. im not able to get the...
  20. 9

Putting on Soft 8

Hate to bring this post back but what will happen if you are runing highway speed.(70MPH) with 33/12.50/15s on 15/8s runing low pressure
  21. 9

Need tire reviews.

this is what im starting with. its the 4.0L but later i plan to do a 5.0L swap. I am thinking bout doing the solid axle swap but not sure yet. Ill keep yall posted its going to be a few months before I eeven get to touch the truck Im just trying to buy everything while im still deployed so I can...
  22. 9

Need tire reviews.

thanks I was leaning on the wranglers or maxxis. Ive used bouth before but they were on my Bronco and I never really had an issue with it no mater the tire and I had it sunk (over hood) many times an usually made it out fine. but this one I want something thats realiable also. I think the...
  23. 9

Need tire reviews.

I got at 96 Explorer XLT 4x4. Im lifting it to put 33s. I was wondering what yall thought bout the following brands and if there is any brands in the same price range that are better. I had Wranglers on my 83 Bronco full size and had the buckshots also and loved both sets but the where 31/10.50s...
  24. 9

Starting Upgrades on 96 Explorer

Ok. thanks do you know by chance how many turns the average is for the 2inches.
  25. 9

Starting Upgrades on 96 Explorer

Ok so I recently got a 96 Explorer 4dr 4X4. Im looking to do the 2 inch TT and rear shackel lift but whas wonderinf if I need any special tools for the TT I have only done solid axle lifts so the IDF is new to me. Im also adding a 3inch body lift so i can fit 33s would i have enough clearance in...
Back