Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. A

How good are 5.0 AWDs off road? No BS

my 98 4.0 AWD pulled my Cummins out of my backyard, bone stock... does that count?
  2. A

the X so far

dingmans ferry PA? youre about 15 mins away from me lol. the X looks good btw.
  3. A

f150 blinker switch

has anyone tried swapping to an f150 blinker switch? the factory switch comes out from the column and down, whereas the f150 one comes out and up slightly. im 6'5 and often find my knee hitting the bottom of the blinker switch because i rest my left leg close to the seat. just wondering if...
  4. A

common problems?

so my mom is in the market for another car, and i want her to get an explorer or something decently sized and 4wd. i came across a deal on a 04 explorer with 130k on it and a 4.0 sohc. i had a 98 explorer that had a 4.0 soch with 425k miles on it, and it died from cam chain failure. i know thats...
  5. A

Wanted 99 4.0 OHV Engine cover & OEM Jack & Tools

i have both, and youre an hour and a half away. PM me if interested.
  6. A

timing chain problems

yup, at 425k miles, and it looks factory inside and out. but thanks alot guys. looks like shes getting a new heart!
  7. A

timing chain problems

the part that stumps me is, it didnt rattle or make any noise prior to this incident? it never made noise when it started. i should add that this engine has 425k miles on it.
  8. A

timing chain problems

so i have this 98 explorer sohc with something wrong. i have a new engine that i can put in, but if i could fix the one in there it would be awesome. so heres the deal. i was driving home one night, and noticed the oil pressure gauge was at zero. shocked, i killed the engine and pulled over...
  9. A

boosting a sohc

i see your supercharged. how much are you runnin?
  10. A

boosting a sohc

soooo, i have my beater, which is my 98 explorer sohc 5 speed, and i also have this Holset H1C off my cummins..... so how much boost can a sohc take reliably? i know the OHV engines can take about 8 for a long time. whats the deal with these?
  11. A

How/where to sell and for how much

why is the word a n d replaced with pizza in everything?? EDIT nevermind, i get it. OP, id just sell it on CL. like said, make sure you list everything thats wrong with it.
  12. A

High Mileage SOHC's Explorers

so, do i win? 425k miles on the original engine before it let go.
  13. A

5 speed swap?

buummpp got the answers for the crossmember and driveshafts, now i just need to know about the t-case. is it going to go stupid on me?
  14. A

5 speed swap?

alright, so after trying so hard to figure out my trans problems, ive decided to say screw it, i like driving stick better. so, i know i need the trans as well as the clutch parts. i know i need the pedal assembly aswell. my question is, what do i do about the transfercase? i have the "awd...
  15. A

what year engine will work?

so basically, i can use any 4.0 SOHC v6 engine as long as i swap everything over? what advantages are there using a mustang engine over a explorer engine? are timing chain issues common with these things? im sorry fellers. im not new to forums, and i know over on other forums we get all pissy...
  16. A

what year mustangs? im looking for a basic plug and play. its a DD.
  17. A

well my 98 just died. i think i threw the timing chain. so im gonna pick up another engine. its a OHC engine. what years will bolt right up to this thing?
  18. A

i need help bad! at the end of my rope.

oh, to answer questions, its a 5r55 i think? and yes, i cleared the codes multiple times. if i clear it with the engine running, it wont come back on until i turn the truck off and back on, or if i drive it for about 10 mins.
  19. A

bumping my own thread. the ex has been in my back yard since this, been my mudding toy, girlfriend and i got a pair of cummins'. but, i need another car for a bit, so the ex is getting plates. cant get it inspected with the code. but, the rundown is i replaced the TCC and did my best to go...
  20. A

i erase the code and it comes back. hence the problem. i just cant figure it out =/
  21. A

girlfriend got a 98 ex. got a CEL for a torque converter clutch circuit. changed out the TCC and the light is still on. i dont know what to do next. can someone please help me?
  22. A

trans capacity

98, 4.0 ohc, trans code D i believe. first, how much does the pan hold? im swapping out the TCC tomorrow. second, which filter do i get? they have listings for a shallow pan and a deep pan. how do i determine the difference? thanks in advance!
  23. A

new guy, some problems

thanks! bought a TCC, just waiting for it to come in. thanks alot!
  24. A

2000 4.0 XLS Explorer - AC blows cold, then hot

same problem. the pump never turns off. it still runs, just no coldness. something else i noticed was the duration of the pump running was normally longer then ive ever seen...
Back