• Register Today It's free!

boosting a sohc

allxlts

Reaction score
City, State
Montague, New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 ex, 96 s10
soooo, i have my beater, which is my 98 explorer sohc 5 speed, and i also have this Holset H1C off my cummins.....

so how much boost can a sohc take reliably? i know the OHV engines can take about 8 for a long time. whats the deal with these?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bottom end between the two are all but exactly the same. If its a high miler, it might not deal well with the boost though.

i see your supercharged. how much are you runnin?

I am around 8-10lbs. I have a few issues to sort out though.
1. I need an intercooler. The intake air charge is way to hot after the airs compressed. Detonation, even with really retarded timing.
2. I will have to add an extra idler pulley to help stop pulley slip on the SC.

Without intercooling, Id stick under 6 lbs boost

18 psi boost?

A few years ago there was a member running 18 psi of boost on his SOHC V6 Sport. According to his posts he did a lot of racing on public roads for about a year and performed custom tunes. I haven't seen any posts from him in a year or so. He may have blown up his engine or lost his driving license.

Your SOHC V6 has a strong bottom end and a knock sensor to reduce detonation by retarding the spark advance. However, for street use I would not exceed around 10 psi if you want the engine to last a reasonable length of time. Boost above 5 psi will probably require higher flow rate injectors and a custom tune.

Back