Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. J

Explorer Sport '97 and '99 1/4 glass - Same?

No, man, I'm talking about the 1/4 glass *behind* the pop out, the glass between it and the rear hatch. I'm not worried about the tint, and I'm quite certain he isn't either. Thank you very much for your reply, I'll update this thread when we get it and get it in!
  2. J

Explorer Sport '97 and '99 1/4 glass - Same?

Hey guys, I was a member here a while back when I had my 1996 Aerostar. :aerostar: I have since sold that van and moved on to a '95 Taurus. But, yesterday, my buddy and I picked up a 1997 Ford Explorer Sport. :exp: It has 265K on it, runs great (SOHC, 2WD, auto). However, the truck itself is...
  3. J

My Aerostar has given up on me.

No on both questions. Last night I bought a 1995 Ford Taurus sedan. I would've considered another Aerostar but the only ones in my price range were worse off than the one I sold. I didn't mention the website to the guy because I simply didn't think of it. I miss my van terribly, I knew I...
  4. J

My Aerostar has given up on me.

It is with a heavy heart that I come here today to tell you guys that my beloved 1996 Aerostar is giving up on me. I was toying with the idea of selling it just recently and today, the final straw broke the camels back: It blew a head gasket. Normally, I'd fix it and continue to drive/love...
  5. J

1995 Aerostar. Rear engine coolant leak.

Also locate and check the freeze plugs, they are known for leaking as well. I've had dozens of Ford 3.0L V-6s and have had freeze plug trouble in a few, especially in the higher mileage examples.
  6. J

1994 Aerostar. Power steering question.

Agree 100%.
  7. J

Do not over fill the power steering system. The cap has a built in indicator. If it is low, find the leak and repair it.
  8. J

I can't speak to all of your issues, simply because I've never owned an E4WD Aerostar. I've had multiple 2WDs and have had steering problems in almost all of them. THAT DOES NOT MEAN yours is a problem so much as it is you getting used to a typical '80s/'90s Ford steering system that has a few...
  9. J

My 1993 Aerostar lacks power above 50 MPH.

They won't scan a '93 vehicle, they only do OBD II (1996 and newer). You can buy a scanner or take it to an independent repair shop and see if they can do it. At the very least, take it to Ford, or call a dealership and ask them what their diagnosis fee would be on a run-ability problem in a...
  10. J

Should I buy an Aerostar?

You can possibly find seats out of an Aerostar that was capable of folding into a bed in the junkyard (they did make them). Glad you made the right purchase, and I really hope you enjoy your "new" van! I know I certainly love my Aerostar! :)
  11. J

I have no idea how an E4WD Aerostar handles the snow, but it is more truck-like than an Impreza so it should be better. I put 16" Explorer wheels on my '96 2WD Aerostar, had to go with lower profile tires because they would hit on the suspension/body otherwise. My wheels came from a 2003...
  12. J

1994 Aerostar. Starting & running issues.

My '94 XL+ did very similar to what your van is doing and it ended up being a bad MAF sensor. Not to say that will DEFINANTLY be your issue, but it was for mine.
  13. J

I'd go for the Aerostar. I've owned and driven other minivans and I prefer the Aerostar, hands-down. The ride quality, the ease of repair and the reliability of the 4.0L makes the Aerostar superior to other truck-based vans (Astro). It is more durable and cheaper to repair than the imports...
  14. J

201,366 miles and still going.

Welcome to the forum man! Post some pictures of your van. I have 215,x.. miles on my '96 Aerostar. I'm not sure about your A/C odor, my A/C hasn't worked since I bought my van, lol. Local junkyards are your best bet for interior pieces. The shipping of certain items can drive you crazy...
  15. J

Solved 1997 Aerostar. Turn signal multifunction switch replacement.

Good deal Walter, I'm glad you've got it all fixed. :) Feels good to do something yourself and have positive results, huh?
  16. J

Working on the interior.

I do occasionally carry passengers. That's why I took the time to replace the middle seatbelt so I could carry four instead of three people. I want to get buckets to replace the bench but, hey, I also want money and power, too, lol.
  17. J

Working on the interior.

Thanks man, I worked hard on it. I honestly have $0 to fund this project so I had to use what was on hand: Some laundry soap, some SHOUT stain remover and my own elbow grease. It certainly smells a lot better, let me tell you. I don't think I'll allow people to smoke in the van anymore (I quit...
  18. J

Working on the interior.

Well, I got the carpet and seat back in the van. Here is a pic after I got the carpet in but before I installed the seat and trim. As you can see, a few minor stains remain and they'll be covered mostly by my tool box. My goal isn't to make the van showroom-new, just better than it was.
  19. J

Working on the interior.

Today I made some progress on the interior of the van. I removed the middle seat by way of the rear hatch (the slider doesn't work), then I removed some trim and then the carpet. The carpet was extremely nasty. I worked for hours cleaning it and it looks a lot better. It's still drying so no...
  20. J

Did you get the switch from AutoZone? LOL I got one that the turn signals didn't work, but everything else did. They swapped it out no problem but that's why it's best to check the function before reinstalling the plastics. Anyway, try plugging back in the old switch and see if the wipers...
  21. J

My 1993 Aerostar lacks power above 50 MPH.

Did you ever get this van figured out?
  22. J

I made it to Washington in the van!

Well, I know Ford is investing heavily in the near-by Kansas City Assembly (Claycomo). I would love to get a job there building F-150s or Transits. Anyway, I was wondering why the cruise system hadn't been updated by 1996 as mine has to be "told" to accelerate up hills. Sometimes, it's as...
  23. J

Sorry but NO! You can replace the turn signal switch WITHOUT removing the airbag. You cannot do it without removing the ignition, though. Disconnect the battery cable. The ignition switch is held in by a small pin. Turn the key to on, and find the tiny hole located in the plastic just...
  24. J

Funny man, I paid $1,000 for my van, and it had a broken driver's seat and nasty carpets, too. I wish I had known before that you were in St. Louis, I came through there in the van on this trip (I took 70 across from Denver and 55 down to Jackson, MS and then on home from there). We could've...
  25. J

Guess who's back? :) I drove the Aerostar back to Mississippi and she did great. I had very limited internet access while up there (all they have is a tablet which is nice but the battery dies all the time), so I wasn't able to give many updates on the van. The odometer is up to 214XXX...
Back