Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. W

1993 exploerer auto transmission problems

MY friend just bought a 93 ex and I am attempting to help him get it running right. It has the 4.0 liter the 4 speed auto and 4 wheel drive. The trans is making a rotating slapping sound at lower speeds when in over drive.It sounds like a rubber hose attached to the drive shaft and slapping the...
  2. W

1999 ford explorer 4.0 Soch rough idle

Mine was doing this last year after looking all over for vacuum limes loose changing fuel filter having fuel system flushed. It was the maf the whole time. I cleaned it with the cleaner for it has run good ever since.
  3. W

4x4 question

I will say my 99 sport all 4 wheels where spinning on the ice when I tried to go over the pile of ice the snow plow guy left in front of me.
  4. W

Engine Overheat Strategy

I don't know if my 99 sport has this for sure but when the t stat stuck closed I know there was a major loss of power. So I am thinking that must be it.
  5. W

How good is Auto 4wd?

Where 4wd helps is now you have more points of power allowing a for better chance of forward momentum ( if driving sensibly) allowing you to not spin out. If the back slides but front has traction then you wont spin if you are driving smartly. If you drive like an idiot then be prepared to wreck...
  6. W

How good is Auto 4wd?

I have only had mine in minor snow but the auto always worked great. I don't expect the 4wd to be the save all in the snow but it did kick out on curves a couple times till the auto wd kicked in really quick to straighten it out.
  7. W

Ford 'Quick Connect' Fuel Lines Suck! Fuel Filter Trouble!

Either I got lucky or the brake cleaner really cleaned stuff out. It literally took me 5 minutes to change my fuel filter.
  8. W

Fuel Tank Preasure Sensor

I don't have the part yet so I am going by what I see on line http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Duralast-Fuel-Tank-Pressure-Sensor/1999-Ford-Explorer-4WD/_/N-jdb37Z8vdtr?itemIdentifier=904588_709863_0_ Not even sure this is correct also I was reading another thread and the op said he...
  9. W

I have changed gas cap, canister purge valve the vapor canister vent valve, the charcoal canister, the vacuum lines and blew out all the hard lines 3 times. I mean I have literally replaced everything else.
  10. W

I have a 99 ex 2 door with 4.0 SOHC auto trans and continuous code 1450. I have replaced everything else so I am left to believe it is the FTP Sensor. So my Questions are. Has anyone done this and do I have to drop the fuel tank? I can put my hand on what I believe is the ftp but not...
  11. W

Battery problem, I think.

A 4 ir 5 year old bulging battery and not charging could very well be the battery if it is not charging it will use all the alternator's out put and not operate the other electric items, cou;ld also be the alt if not working will not charge battery.
  12. W

Fuse Question.

I'm guessing you bought it used as your fixig this yourself. I will venture to guess the previous owner may have put the extra fuses in there thinking they needed them, or as a place to store extra fuses.
  13. W

Strange exhaust noise

Usually my ex 4.0 l sohc has a deep throaty sound to it when I rev the engine or when accelerating, the last 2 days it sounds like a bee in a tin can between 2000 and 300 rpms when accelerating, or driving at highway speed but sounds normal any other time. I first thought it was a loose heat...
  14. W

97 Explorer Idling at 2500 RPM

I had this issue on my sohc just cleaned the heck out of everything and still had the problem then it got really hot to almost the end of the engine hot. Had to replace the t-stat wouldn't think it was related but it idles right at 750 to 800 now, with no other repairs.
  15. W

Great place for Car Enthusiast

looks good I think I would do the door handles first or that little trim piece along the bottom, Would make the wheels look even better. Also maybe some smoked lights.
  16. W

Wanted Wood Grain Radio Bezel

I don't have it my self can get a pic Friday.
  17. W

Wanted Wood Grain Radio Bezel

if one from a mountaineer would work I know where to get one as long as you don't need the console parts they Re messed up. Probably going to be there Friday. How much are you willong to pay?
  18. W

Short Console Arm Rest

There are a few in the pick apart yard I go to I might be out that way Friday I belive they get $7 for them if I got the money to get the parts I need would not be a problem to grab one.
  19. W

Here is a question for ya!

I know your pain finding steps for the 2 door sport seams impossible ebay always gives sport trac bars.
  20. W

Please Help: Dented wheel hubs on '01 Sport 2wd? (pics)

Either got agrressive with channel locks or a screw driver and a hammer. If they stay on your fine, but they can be replaced for $10 or less.
  21. W

Sticky white smoke out tailpipe

White smoke is mosture as is the water. This is pretty normal on cold start, and with a temp of 37. Sticky I can't help haven't heard that one before, best guess is it is from the additive you used.
  22. W

26mpg

I don't intend to argue but some products might give you some mpg increase, but the tornado goes against eveything I know about efficiansy and power for an internal combustion engine. Other as I said might but is it worth the money spent verses the mileage saved? If enviromental reasons are...
  23. W

26mpg

I don't have a problem with the 18 mpg (mixed driving) I am getting. It is a step up from the 17 I was getting in my sonoma with a 4 cylinder, so I am happy. Granted more would be better but I am driving a heavy box on wheels with a v6 over mountains everyday.
  24. W

26mpg

If you don't drive fast have a smooth road and drive 98% on the highway are on flat or down hill with little or no wind I could belive 26. We once got 41 in our carolla on a tank which previously best we saw was 33 but it was perfect driving conditions for milelage and never reproduced that. I...
  25. W

Fuel Tank vaccum unable to vent

A few more things to check if we don't get the blizzard tonight. If we do I will have to wait till it thaws. Thanks you all.
Back