Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. G

2005 XLT (My build and question thread)

The 4.10 gears are the gears to have if you want to tow although its not exactly a powerhouse.. Fully set up with an aux trans cooler and 4.10 gears the rig is still limited to 5000 pounds. The limited slip part is just like you said. Under low traction both wheels will turn instead of the...
  2. G

2005 XLT (My build and question thread)

What diff do you have? Check the tag on the diff. I have an 03 Premium with 4.10 Limited-slip gears. Your only options are 3.73 open or LS, and 4.10 open or LS. The open or LS will determine what fluid to use and if you need the special friction modifier for the gears. It is supposed to be...
  3. G

new shock recommendation

I put a set of Monroe air shocks in the back. It's a little more labor intensive to run the air lines, but they ride very nice and empty at about 60 lbs the rear has an easy 2" of lift. Plus they're not very expensive. So far I am very impressed with them. Monroe also makes a set of spring...
  4. G

03 ST 4.0 - Goin on 4 longblocks!!!!

Drive the mothersmurfer off a cliff and start over....I have never seen someone have so many issues with so many engines for so long and still try to fix it. You have infinitely more patience than I would ever have, brother. My hat's off to you and I wish you all the best. It's just utter...
  5. G

Has anyone seen this issue going to 4 will drive only during cold temps.

Probably a sticky motor on the transfer case. Sounds like everything else is good. You may want to at least service the transfer case and replace that little motor, just for good measure.
  6. G

Gas Gauge Shows Loss of Gas, Can smell gas fumes, no gas stains from leak

I know that Brandon. What I was trying to say is fuel indicators on Fords are known to be problematic, so you should measure your mileage using hard numbers to see if you actually are losing fuel. Go fill it up today and see what happens.
  7. G

2005 Seat Heater Replacement Options?

We had an aftermarket one installed in ours when we bought our Sport Trac last year as the driver's side one already did not work. The factory switch is still there, but now there is a new, smaller 2-position switch farther back that Ford installed and we couldn't be happier. The new heating...
  8. G

Gas Gauge Shows Loss of Gas, Can smell gas fumes, no gas stains from leak

Are you measuring your gas consumption based on # of miles driven against # of gallons put in the tank? That will obviously tell you with better certainty what kind of mileage you are really getting and if there is a definite gas leak of some sort. Fords have always been notorious for having...
  9. G

That's just insane man... I'd sue them buggers for all the crap they've put you through..
  10. G

2002 Sport Trac with annoying vibration

It could also be lugging in 5th gear OD with the TC locked up and you are getting engine vibration through the drivetrain.
  11. G

Towing my 2005 sports trac behind RV

Once you get the light and enable the neutral tow feature with a dealership (which may or may not be easy depending on what dealership you go to), you simply turn the key to the on position with the switch in 2WD, step on the brake, shift the column to Neutral, wait for the LED to flash and then...
  12. G

Over Drive Issue

I'm not sure what you mean. If your truck is switching from 5th to 4th, then your OD is working, because 5th is OD. It could also be that your lockup torque converter is locking and unlocking making it feel like you're coming in and out of O/D. That would be something completely different...
  13. G

Holy crap. What a mess bro....So sorry you're having so much trouble with this...I tell you though, if mine ever goes, I'm either doing a V8 swap or putting in a newer Mustang engine. This crap is just unacceptable!!
  14. G

Proactive or reactive - waste of money?

Never seen that. Ever O2 sensor I've ever replaced has unbolted with no issues. But I live in Oregon, where rust is not an issue. Not sure where you hail from.
  15. G

Transmission Life?

Some stats on yours would be beneficial. Too many factors can affect the answer. A perfectly maintained 5R55E that has never towed a day in its life could easily go over 200K and may still give up the ghost at 100K. Just like any other transmission though, not maintaining them will kill them...
  16. G

04 ST w/PO174... no fix? Help...

Yeah not sure about ford dealers. I was thinking like O'Reilly's. They carry motorcraft. So does Baxters. They've never given me a problem with electrical stuff.
  17. G

The dealership will likely not do this. It would be something you did yourself in the garage. If you tell Ford to replace the MAF, they'll replace it, but you'll get charged for a brand new one plus labor. Hopefully you can get a loaner, but at least rentals can be pretty cheap. Probably be...
  18. G

It's usually a bad MAF that would cause a recurring P0171/p0174 code, especially with the drivability issues you're having. At 180K with a CAI, it's possible just cleaning the MAF was not enough to fix it. I would consider buying a new MAF, being very careful to install it super clean, see if...
  19. G

I just hope that it all gets fixed up under warranty for you. There is only one chain on the front side of the engine though. The others are in the back.
  20. G

No because it is in the back. But they should have inspected the back of the engine as well, methinks. Any Ford certified mechanic knows these engines drive the cams from the rear of the engine. It's not like they only made them for an Explorer...
  21. G

Does it actually say timing BELT tensioner damaged? The LH timing chain tensioner makes sense, but these engines obviously have no timing belts...
  22. G

Question is, what tensioner failed? If they only removed the front cover then they only would have seen the chain from the crank to the jackshaft. The other 2 chains are on the back of the engine and rather difficult to inspect.
  23. G

Whatever it is, it's definitely not a good thing...My 03 with 120K is smooth and quiet. You can't even hear the injectors firing hardly. Usually though when a gas engine sounds like a diesel it means the engine has low or no oil pressure. I don't have enough experience with the SOHC Cologne's...
  24. G

Transmisson Fluid Flush/Change?

I would say not to do it. Buy a new filter and gasket and replace the 5 or so quarts that come out with some Mobil1 Synthetic ATF, drive it for another regular oil change and do it again. You also may consider adding a larger extra trans cooler and an external trans filter. I haven't done...
  25. G

smoking from rear of engine block. Head gasket?

Just an FYI: Ford gauges are in general considered "dummy" gauges. They are not necessarily a good indicator of actual oil level. The oil gauge in your dash represents oil pressure, but I believe will always show good pressure unless you get below like 7 pounds of pressure. I'm not even sure...
Back