Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. 1

Bad or Burnt Exhaust smell in cabin during hard acceleration.

Mine is long gone and I had multiple tsb attempts done. Leaving the rear ac off will do nothing but trap the exhaust in the rear of the cabin. The rear ac just circulates it up front where the driver can smell it. Trust me, sit in the trunk with the ac off and have someone drive you around. I...
  2. 1

I am one of the ones early on in the thread that tried darn near everything to fix this smell. It assumed me for about 6-8 months. I even tested the air quality. I've had the TSB that all you are getting multiple times....fail. I have also ran the truck hard to witness the smell go away for...
  3. 1

update on mine....after reading the wheel weights on the vents, I took mine back the dealer a few weeks ago, and they agreed to try the wheel weights. They also replaced the rear vents (again), and reprogrammed the AC to supposedly switch to fresh air when the throttle is above a certain level...
  4. 1

I would suggest not plugging the drain holes on the muffler. They are there to drain condensation. Otherwise, your mufflers will prematurely rust.
  5. 1

Its been a little while so I thought I would report back on my findings after the rear hatch seal replacement. It seemed to have worked "slightly", but definitely the smell is still prominent with the recirc on. Very disappointed as I thought that would be it! They also put plugs in the two...
  6. 1

Tip: mine came back, as the molding will slowly revert back to the original position after opening and shutting the hatch many times. To prevent this, I placed a wire in the channel and reattached.
  7. 1

Glad to hear its worked for someone else. And I'm not a ford engineer, lol. So...sounds like it all may boil down to a poor weatherstripping seal....who woulda thunk??
  8. 1

I see you're in Melbourne florida. I lived there while attending FIT. For the weatherstripping I just pulled it away from the frame about .25" and shut the hatch. You can feel the hatch shut snuggly against the weatherstripping, almost like it was meant to be thicker. Will be curious when the...
  9. 1

Great pics! Exactly what I did, however, my latch was not as straight across as yours. Did you try and pull out your weatherstripping a little? btw, mine got the smell EVERYTIME I ran it over 3.5k. It would be so unbearable after a long wot that it would make my eyes water.
  10. 1

Sure.... Will take me a day or two as all I have is my phone and apparently it only uploads extra large photos.
  11. 1

Thrilled to report that I had a nice "smoke free" drive into work this morning. Drove the ex hard and not one hint of the sulfur/exhaust smell. Had rear ac on full blast and recirculate the entire time. So folks.....I think that's it. Reposition/replace your rear hatch weatherstripping and make...
  12. 1

Discovered something else that may be of relevance. Take a look at your hatch latch. You'll need to take off the interior handle and pull away the trim cover to reveal where the latch is secured to the tailgate with three bolts. Two on one side and one on the other. I noticed that my latch was...
  13. 1

I contacted my service manager and he is ordering a new hatch seal for me. Apparently there is a new revision out there. Will report back when it gets replaced. Just an FYI I had the latest tsb done and the hatch seal is not on it.
  14. 1

Haha, yes I've learned that if u want to find a leak, citrus oil is very potent!
  15. 1

Sorry using my phone so I don't have the ability to change pic sizes. You were able to see it tho right? Lol
  16. 1

So, I taped off the seam of the rear hatch and ran it hard all day yesterday - smell almost entirely gone! I studied the hatch weatherstripping a bit and noticed that there are areas where it appears the seal is not evenly distributed. I believe this to be related to the curvature of the rear...
  17. 1

I'm still battling with the issue and had it in to the dealer twice, including having the tsb done. Tired of people calling, but offering no solutions. Way too many people complaining about this, and the dealers act like they've never heard of it. I have a 2yr old and a 3 month old that I will...
  18. 1

Thanks for the info on the TSB(12-12-4), wish it would have fixed the problem. Service mgr called and told me they have another "new" TSB (didn't say what the date code is), that involves "updating the firmware". We'll take it in next Tuesday and let'm have a go at it. One of the techs has a...
  19. 1

I too bought a "quality" handheld CO meter, and got about the same readings. Tested it by running it directly in the tailpipe, and got 250+ ppm, so it was working lol. The reading i got in the cabin after a hard acceleration were about what you are seeing (~20ppm), and upwards of 35ppm if I...
  20. 1

Great logic! Same principles in central HVAC, which makes total sense. I too own a 2014 (limited though). I had the TSB performed on the truck about two weeks ago. Not to be a Debbie downer, but it did absolutely nothing to change the smell. Not worth spending a week in a Dodge rental car!
  21. 1

I had this same burning plastic smell the first 5-7k miles on my explorer. Was so bad that the smell would linger, even when putting the windows down. Almost burns the nose hairs! I beleive that smell is related to the excess fiberglass packing in the mufflers burning off. After running my...
  22. 1

For what it's worth, I played around with the co analyzer today. It works great, very sensitive and holds the high reading. I tested the cabin with no motor running....0 ppm. Ran it under the open exhaust, 118 ppm. Then, went for a drive. Cruising and normal acceleration, 0-2 ppm. Hard...
  23. 1

I bought a General Tool CO analyzer from HD for about $100 shipped
  24. 1

FYI, got a call this morning from the dealer saying that Ford is revising the TSB to cover the 2014 models. Sounds to me that they did NOT fix this manufacturering flaw on the new models even when they knew the issue existed. The truck will be going in for the TSB, but I do not have high hopes.
Back