Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. B

Rapping Sound From Passenger Valve Cover - 4.6

Any idea if that much slack in the chain is normal? From what I can see of the guides they still have meat on them. Also, here's another video. Still noisy but you can hear it a bit better. https://goo.gl/photos/2amTFqY25PAuME5W6
  2. B

Rapping Sound From Passenger Valve Cover - 4.6

Hey All, I have a bit of an urgent issue. For the last month I've had a pretty weird sound from the front of the passenger valve cover under acceleration. Video below Today it's turned into a rapping. It was bad enough that I stopped driving it and pulled the valve cover to inspect. As far...
  3. B

"Rattling" sound from auto trans when idling in gear

My 03 had the same noise last summer. It would also overflow fluid when on the interstate for more than 20 minutes. It ends up all over the rear hatch. Took it to a local tranny shop, had the Torque Converter replaced along with servo bore sleeves and some other bits. The guy at the shop...
  4. B

'03 4.6 spark plugs

You're right. I can't remember the exact torque he recommend but it's higher then spec. He recommended this to prevent blowouts. I used the except number he recommended and had no issues.
  5. B

'03 4.6 spark plugs

Did the plugs on my 03 4.6 last summer. Looks like the first time they had been changed in a long time. Had no issues getting them in or out. Make sure you use a swivel to ensure you get a good angle. If you're worried about changing the plugs you could always move the #8 coil to a...
  6. B

Question for those that replaced the rear hatch panel themselves

I believe 3M VHB Double-Sided Acrylic Foam Tape is what is recommended.
  7. B

Is this a good deal!?

Cosmetically this one looks great. My biggest concern would be the transmission. Having dealt with my own tranny nightmare on my 3rd gen I would be extremely hesitant unless the tranny has been replaced. It seems with the 5r55 it's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when for most people...
  8. B

aux input on 6cd changer?

That one doesn't look right. The harness was unrelated to the USB power. The harness I got was unrelated to USB and only for the PXDX to the 6 disc This is the one I ordered. You can see in the one I linked it piggy backs the big square connector. The one you linked does not.
  9. B

aux input on 6cd changer?

This is what I did in mine: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=428717 Works fine.
  10. B

Complete LED Bulb Guide

Do you're interior lights keep glowing even when they're off? I replaced all of my interior lights with these. They emit a glow even when the interior switch is off. From what I read it's because the resistance is much lower than the incandescent bulbs.
  11. B

Loudest Exhaust

I put a Magnaflow 11256 on my 2003 4.6 last week. Sounds really nice. Not too loud and has a great tone.
  12. B

Repairs done

Ask friends an family who they use for a mechanic. My family has a guy they have used for almost 20 years. Honest and does good work. I try to avoid the big chain shops since many won't let you supply your own parts and they charge top dollar for labor. There's a few good mom & pop shops...
  13. B

Repairs done

Seams reasonable depending on the parts used. I did mine myself this summer and it cost me about $150 for Moog parts (UCA and LBJ) plus $70 for alignment. I'd imagine a shop would charge 2 hours of labor.
  14. B

Newbie - 04 Limited - General Advice

Here in Maine shops that also do state inspection won't modify the exhaust outside of OEM (Excluding muffler as long as it's not crazy loud) Just had my muffler replaced last week. Got a Magnaflow. They charged me 1 hour of labor ($65) plus misc fittings. They refused to remove the 3rd cat...
  15. B

2003 Explorer Left Rear Axle

Did it on my 2003 this past summer. Get a block of wood and bang it out. It will go. There's a circlip on the shaft where it goes in. You need to break it's holding force.
  16. B

Aux plug connection in stock radio?

I did it in mine with a unit called a PXDX. Wasn't the cheapest route but works great. Did a semi guide for it: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=428717
  17. B

5R55S pump replacement

This might be worth watching: https://youtu.be/fKHmlJJPpe0?t=35m46s
  18. B

Shimmy (and other issues)

Get the tires balanced. I spent a chunk of last summer chasing down a shimmy at 70mph. Replaced lower ball joins, Upper Control Arms, Tie Rod Ends and it didn't fix it. I neglected considering tire balance because the tries were brand new when I bought the truck. Finally took it in for a...
  19. B

New shock/strut assembly question

Can confirm, would rather stab myself in the foot than do them again without a shop and air tools.
  20. B

@makuloco2000 - Some great How To's

He just released a 3rd Gen Door Ajar video today. Would be a good one to add to the list. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egIGBzO065U
  21. B

Intermittent Hard Misfire on #8

Hey All, I had an issue popup last week that I haven't been able to track down. I'm getting an intermittent hard misfire on #8 (Flashing CEL). When it's not flashing there is a small shake and misfire count keeps rising (viewed via scanner) I put a new COP on and there's still a...
  22. B

Who has snow shots ! ?

I was really hoping it would make it up to Maine. I love to go out bombing around in the X when it's snowing heavily. Although, my 3rd gen is not even close to as fun as my 2nd gen sport was in the snow. It's just too stable and takes some serious work to get it sliding.
  23. B

Replacing/Installing Interior Dome Light with LED

Sorry to dig up an old thread. I just did all of my interior lights with these LEDs. However, even with the dome lights off they still produce a glow. Same when I turn the dimmer switch all the way off. Has anyone run into this issue or have a clue how to fix it? Video of it:
  24. B

Front LED Domelights Doesn't Fully Shut Off

Hey all, I picked up some of these LED bulbs for the interior of my 2003 Explorer. The middle and rear lights work as expected. However, the front lights never fully turn off. Even with all switches off and keys out they dully blink. Video of it: Anyone know why this is and if there's a...
  25. B

What Did I Break In My Front Diff?

I only paid around $140ish which was for 2 hours of labor since he didn't have to pull the diff apart. I already had the parts laying around. I was told originally it would be about 6 hours of labor to pull the diff, strip it down, put it back together and back on the truck. 6 hours at...
Back