Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. R

Ryan87LX's Build Thread: Dora the Explorer

I'm currently in the middle of my 4406 swap. I've been following the directions from a bunch of the posts here and it's going well - although I have to say that it is a TIGHT fit. There's much more work that I expected, in terms of clearancing the floorplan. It doesn't help that the vehicle is...
  2. R

Flyboycoe's AWD 5.0 to 4WD Conversion

I realize this thread is old, but it shows up in searches when people are looking for information on the swap. I installed my 4406 last night and, while I had to remove the cat pipe to install the transfer case, there is lots of room to reinstall it on my 97. Now to track down new bolts and...
  3. R

Starkman's Explorer build thread

How are these holding up? I'm in love with this idea, especially as I have some rocker rust to repair.
  4. R

4406 Swap Clarification - Speedo

Thank you!
  5. R

Taking the 4406 plunge.

Wait... the stock F150 driveshaft didn't fit as has been previously reported? I'm about to start my swap too.
  6. R

5.0 Upper intake water hoses

You would definitely have to modify; in what way I couldn't say. You can also just use heater hose the whole way - you'd just need to get the right fittings to match everything up.
  7. R

5.0 Upper intake water hoses

It's called a Heater Tube Assembly. I suspect you'll have a hard time finding one, but the Mustang ones are reproduced now: https://lmr.com/item/LRS-9424BA/Mustang-Heater-Tube-Assembly-w-o-Coolant-Tube-86-93-50-58
  8. R

4406 Swap Clarification - Speedo

I've read all the threads, but there is sometimes conflicting/confusing info regarding the speedometer gears. I'm hoping someone can clarify for me. I have a 1997 XLT 5.0 AWD and have picked up an early 4406 from an F150. I believe the transfer case is from a 1997, and it does have a visible...
  9. R

Finally finished up the CB install. The box is mounted behind the centre console, and the connector sticks out into the passenger side footwell. I took an old CB mic adapter I had, gutted it, and stuck a vacuum cap on the end of it to cover the connector and keep junk from getting into it...
  10. R

I've been slowly working on getting the CB installed, wired,adjusted, etc, and ordered in a trans temp guage and a-pillar pod. In addition, I picked up this new project for the summer:
  11. R

RCI Skidplate When I had the front bumper off to put the tow hooks on, I noticed just how vulnerable the radiator was, even with the factory bumper in place. I realized that even for mild off-roading, I was going to have to do something. I saved up an bought an RCI skid. Very reasonably priced...
  12. R

Is it my VC or my CV?

The CV is the weak link in that setup. So if the transfer case starts to bind up, the CV will fail. Once that happens, you don't feel the binding as much, so you replace the CV joint, and then the bind is back, and the cycle repeats. CV is really easy to tell if it's bad or not, just grab the...
  13. R

Yup, I certainly am. I've seen you on there as well.
  14. R

And that's where it sits as of today. While installing the tow hooks, I noticed a leaky thermostat housing, which is currently being repaired. I also noticed that the front rad is mounted in a really bad spot, so I placed an order for an RCI front skid plate to keep things up front nice and safe.
  15. R

By now of course, I realized that I was getting really excited about going off-roading again, but that the truck still wasn't quite ready. I didn't have front recovery points, which I would likely need at some time, and I didn't have a CB to call my friends and ask them to come back and pull me...
  16. R

Now, way back when I bought the truck I replaced the front upper control arms, installed a camber adjuster kit, and then... drove it without doing a wheel alignment. This was on purpose because I was expecting to do a TT lift and figured that there was no point in doing an alignment now, and...
  17. R

In February, my water pump took a dump. It was pretty serious, the pump went from working great to massive leaks in two days. I couldn't drive it anymore and had to tackle the job in my unheated garage in -30*C weather. The garage was a bit warmer inside, but it was still a pretty cold job. OF...
  18. R

Okay, I've put this off for long enough - here's my build thread. Flashback to August of 2014: I sold my 1989 Bronco because I needed something with (kind of) 4 doors and (mostly) rear shoulder belts for growing kids. The Bronco was my DD and I did a ton of work to it. Instead, I...
  19. R

snorkel hook up questions

1.5" hose is far too small for an engine to breath through.
  20. R

97 5.0 - how to/ how long to remove timing cover- water pump, broken bolt

I just did this job in February, in my garage, in the cold. It was not fun. I removed the alternator and pulleys on that side as well as the brackets. I removed the bolts from the A/C accessory side and lifted the bracket a couple of inches - this wasn't really necessary in retrospect. I...
  21. R

Body Lift: Body Bushing Updates

I've been scrolling through posts on body lifts and body bushings. I'm planning a 4406 swap and a 3"BL. I can pretty much guarantee that my current body mount hardware will be seized up tight. I see the aftermarket body mount bushings, but the hardware seems to be an issue. Is there a...
  22. R

Shackle Installation

I've never heard of this stuff - where do you find it in Canada?
  23. R

Shackle Installation

I burned my bushing out and replaced it with urethane ones. The bolt came out still frozen to the inner sleeve.
Back