Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. 1

no cruise with headlights / dimmer on with brake

Halfway through your post, I was thinking, "These problems are probably related to the MFS." It seems the burnt condition of your MFS confirms this. I can only suggest replacing your junkyard MFS with a known good MFS (you can get one from rockauto.com for about $40). If that doesn't work...
  2. 1

I'm confused...but thats not hard. lol

Here are a couple of good threads that may help you pinpoint the problem: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137156&highlight=boiling+reservoir http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97462&highlight=boiling+reservoir Good luck!
  3. 1

antifreeze leak

The water pump can also be the culprit. Read about my recent experience at http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136935 Good luck!
  4. 1

Significant Coolant Leak

And the winner is... If you thought the water pump was the problem, you were right. After I got the truck on the lift and did some checking, the water pump was at fault. I replaced the water pump, flushed the cooling system, and replaced some bad hoses (which were only 4.5 years old--seems...
  5. 1

Significant Coolant Leak

My truck's got 103,500 miles. Everything considered, I still feel satisfied with the reliability of my Explorer. The only other time it had a problem which made it undriveable was when the serpentine belt tensioner broke about 2.5 years ago (an easy fix). I enjoy doing preventive maintenance...
  6. 1

Significant Coolant Leak

Update Sincere thanks to all those who posted their suggestions. Quick update: I found some traces of a paper-like material just inside the radiator cap, and there is also trace evidence of oil in the coolant. I'm fairly sure this rules out everything except the intake manifold gasket...
  7. 1

Significant Coolant Leak

Hi folks, In the 10+ years I've owned my Ex, I've never lost a significant amount of coolant. However, in the past 24 hours, I've developed a "significant" leak--big enough to empty the reservoir and about 1/6 of the radiator on a 5 mile trip. I've searched the forum, and I think I've...
  8. 1

1995 EXT Turn signal problem.

The hazard switch and turn signal are integrated into a single unit, so it is possible the multifunction switch is the source of your problems. There has also been some discussion on this forum that the multifunction switch is prone to failure. I replaced my multifunction switch using about...
  9. 1

Repairing radio bezel

I agree that attempting a repair will probably take a lot of time and produce less than satisfactory results. However, I know from experience that you can get a nice radio bezel on eBay for about $20 or less. I haven't priced a brand new one lately, but I think they run about $55+. I just...
  10. 1

Check Engine Light????????

Here's a link to a Mustang board which discusses replacing the sensor (see post #14, part # is the same). Looks like an easy fix. http://www.3.8mustang.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69735
  11. 1

Hesitation on acceleration

Have the plugs and wires ever been changed? I had this exact problem with one of my vehicles--it finally went away after changing the plugs and wires. Good luck!
  12. 1

Gas Mileage Question

I can definitely see now where regearing to 4.56 would help mpg if you were running larger tires with a 3.27. With a matched tire/gear combo, your overall engine revolutions/mile would be about the same with the smaller tires and OEM gears, so fuel economy would be relatively unchanged (as long...
  13. 1

Gas Mileage Question

Creager--I'm curious about your mpg increase when you changed your gear ratio. The reason I ask is because it seems counterintuitive that a gear ratio change would increase your mpg--if anything, I would expect a small decrease overall. From what I've read on these forums, a tire/gear change...
  14. 1

Noise ... alternator or waterpump

Have you considered the serpentine belt tensioner? I had a very similar problem on my truck--at first, I also thought it was either the water pump or the alternator. I finally found/fixed the problem after the tensioner broke apart (in my driveway, fortunately). If you've never replaced the...
  15. 1

Wipers Stuck

A few possibilities: burned out fuse, burned out or stripped gears in the wiper motor, or stripped threads in wiper arms. The following link may be helpful as well: http://www.asashop.org/autoinc/aug2003/techtips.cfm
  16. 1

temp fluctuation

The behavior you describe can occur when you have air in the cooling system. You've probably already checked the obvious, but just in case...since you indicated the water pump, thermostat, and radiator were recently replaced, it is possible you still have some air in your cooling system...
  17. 1

fearfull noise under driver side hood

I agree with rollinstone--sounds as if your idler pulley is letting you know it's near the end of its useful life. Definitely get it checked/replaced--if it breaks, you will be stranded. Good luck!
  18. 1

sounds like supercharger under hood first min of driving

I had a similar problem--only did it when cold shortly after startup. I tried several times to track it down but never could--that is, until the serpentine belt tensioner let go, making a very loud bang and falling out of the bottom of my engine compartment in pieces. :rolleyes: Replaced...
Back