Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. J

High Idle and Shifting is Off

Fan blade did not rotate. :thumbsup: So that leaves the torque converter. Do you know of any ways of testing that? thanks for the help so far
  2. J

When I put the Ex in reverse or drive on a cold or warm start, there is a bit of 'clunking'. It just isn't very smooth but I haven't had any issues (that i know of). The clunking has been on going for a couple years. I asked a mechanic if it was the U joint and he told me this is just a 'sloppy'...
  3. J

I am not familiar with the fan clutch but from what i've read, its a part that doesn't get fixed, just replaced. Is there even a way to check if the part is bad?? I haven't found a good tutorial on replacing it, do you have any links?
  4. J

2003 Ex with the 4.6L and 143k miles. At a warm or cold start up, the RPMs jump to 2k then very slowly drop to around 900-1k. While driving, the RPMs stay higher than normal when the trans is shifting. It seems like the RPMs are 300-500 RPMs higher than normal. There have been times where...
  5. J

Idle Surge

UPDATE The IAC I replaced first was not a Motorcraft part. I have since replaced the IAC with a Motorcraft one. The idle seems to be a bit better, it is not as rough now, but my RPMs are still very high (between 800-1000) at a cold or warm start. I have cleaned the EGR valve port as Syber...
  6. J

Idle Surge

I cleaned the throttle body a couple times, I just forgot to mention it. I've had it to two shops and neither could find the problem. One of the shops had the vehicle for 2 days and put 30 miles on the Ex and never experienced the issue (this was before I made the changed the idle). The issue...
  7. J

Idle Surge

**FIXED** well sort of... so it has been roughly 6 months since i've experienced the idle surging. here is what i did to "fix" the issue: After the new Motorcraft IAC didn't fix the issue, I was thinking I got a bad part. so I did some reading and found the 'idle set screw' in the IAC (I...
  8. J

RPMs Jump @ Cold Start in 4.6L

!!! update !!! I adjusted the idle set screw on the IAC and so far, so good. She idles around 800-900 RPMs now. The idle jumping hasn't happened in a couple days and here's hoping it stays that way!
  9. J

RPMs Jump @ Cold Start in 4.6L

A few days ago, the RPMs on my 2003 Explorer with the 4.6 started jumping up and down at a cold engine start. The RPMs will continue to jump for 5+ minutes. If you put the vehicle in drive or reverse during this, it will lunge forward (or backward) as the RPMs jump. The RPMs will stop jumping...
  10. J

Idle Surge

The Ex has not had an idle surge while braking in a couple days. But the idle is still jumping at a cold start, which is new. I cleaned the vacuum line and sprayed around the booster checking for leaks. I couldn't find anything. Is there anything else i can test with the brake booster??
  11. J

Idle Surge

thanks for the info! I didn't have time to check the brake booster yesterday, but I should be able to today. !!Strange Update!! As of this morning, when i started a cold engine, it idled at 1100 for 20 seconds and then dropped down to 800. After 10 seconds at 800, the idle started jumping...
  12. J

Idle Surge

I have a 2003 Explorer with the 4.6 and 135k. About 3 months ago, while the Ex was traveling between 45-55mph, it would feel like the trans was slipping in and out of gear. I had my mechanic look at it and he replaced a coil pack and spark plugs and this fixed that issue. A week later, while...
Back