Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. D

Pulling a 2000 Explorer V6 with my 1999 V8 Mountaineer?

The reason for U-Haul not wanting to rent trailers to Explorer drivers was not due to tires but due to the rear bumper hardware failing. And what keeps the ball mount hitch on the truck ? The hardware for the rear bumper ! Get a good receiver hitch and you should be good to go.
  2. D

Reading a Check Engine Light on a '95 Ford Explorer

Just get the old Ford EEC-IV tester it has two plugs and ensure it's not the light but has the digital read out. You can find these things on ebay for about $40.00. It's called the Innova and it just plugs into the test plug. To make it easy they sell a cable that has the two plugs I talked...
  3. D

obd 1 or obd2?

Get a OBDI code reader that has a digital display and get a OBDII adapter for the rest of the drive train(transmission and all of the other stuff) , yes it will work. The 1995 Explorer uses the EECIV engine computer and the OBDII for everything else ..
  4. D

Repair Manual. Which one?

Same thing the Ford work shop manual. Both of those books are not made by Americans for the U.S. market in the first place! You get to look up words like combination spanner or my favorite whilst! Oh a combination spanner is a wrench that has an open end and a box end. Service American cars with...
  5. D

Tranny pressure issue?

Um , not usually with the Ford Explorer. At least not mine a 1995 Ford Explorer Expedition. If your not showing any codes drive the truck. Has anyone else driving Ford Trucks with automatic transmission had any of the jerky shifts? I do not think so unless something is wrong.
  6. D

Tranny pressure issue?

What codes are being shown when you check ? You do know how to scan for codes? If you do not it's working fine...Yes some trucks without the computer controls where hard to shift but these "newer" transmissions work directly with the engine so it should not be to hard to shift.
  7. D

98 ford explorer sitting get for 2 years now won't start

Pull codes. And check fuel flow...
  8. D

My transfer case cracked like an egg!

Um I just checked ebay.com and two are in stock. One for about $450.00 or so and it's brand new. Check for Ford Aerostar AWD...As for fixing it, just step away from the T case and a welder please....T-case + welder = flame and fire....Just as the sailors from the U.S.S. Forrestal aka the forest...
  9. D

4R55E Transmission diagnosis

Have you gotten any codes ?
  10. D

Front Pinion Yoke

If it's not broke just change the seal....
  11. D

OEM flares.

You need to use some paint prep (eastwood etc.)to remove oil, grease, wax etc. Their should be markings to I.D. what kind of plastic the flairs are made out of. Are you just painting or repairing ? If just painting use a primer for flexible plastic and of course a compatible paint..
  12. D

Wind noise drivers side, help

Window go all the way up ? Try cycling the window up and down and check for gaps...Is the door latching all the way ? No door ajar lights ? Or do they not work ? Use some soap and water in a spray bottle spray on the outside with the door closed(window up) while some one is inside...Check for...
  13. D

Strange tranny problem

How are your checking the fluid level ? In accordance with the owners manual or just checking the dipstick...? Do you have any warning lights ? O.D. and or checking lights ?
  14. D

Should I get a transmission flush?

Change the fluid more than once and the filter, it's not perfect but it should flush alot of the old fluid out....If you hire some one to do the job and break something it should be on their dime....
  15. D

Trans shot, I think? Opinions please

Have the truck codes scanned this will give you a starting point. OBDII code scanners are cheap...300K miles is not a lot, hell if that's a problem go to a pick n pull and remove a short block and transmission from a wrecked truck.....
  16. D

Trans shot, I think? Opinions please

O.D. light on ? Check engine light on ? Did you scan for trouble codes ? How does the transmission fluid smell ? Any leaks ? You do know that the transmission has solenoids and they are computer controlled... Have you checked the wiring harness ? Check these things first because it might not be...
  17. D

Smog Test MIL Fail

Pull the codes ,do not disconnect the battery the code will still be in the system...Use a code scanner, fix the problem and then clear the codes...Also if you just disconnected the battery it takes a while for the engine to reset. But if the OBDII finds a fault it will record the code again.
  18. D

Fix 1 thing get another issue: Stalling

It might be your have junk in the gas tank or the pre filter screen on the pump has failed. This only happens on a hill ? Going up or down ?
  19. D

will a 98 sport 4.0l fit in my 01 sport(with 4.0l)/possible 5 sp conv.

The pedal assembly ( you need both the brake and clutch pedal) should be a direct swap make sure if it has a cable or hydraulic system to move it over as well...As for changing the long block is it the same SOHC ? If so your good to go. If not change the whole engine including accessories as...
  20. D

Oil Pressure Drop

To check that you do have low oil pressure put a external oil pressure gauge and sender where the stock on is and then test run the engine....Most of the factory gauges fail over time or the sending unit fails....What weight and type of oil can also cause a false low pressure reading...
  21. D

Explorer + LPG = Disaster

Hey Jason you need to do better research , the code reader is needed to fix DTC or Diagnostic Trouble Codes. Your truck should have OBD II or On Board Diagnostic II software. These programs cover every function of the power train including timing , fuel cooling and transmission controls also you...
  22. D

changed gear while driving...

I'd go ahead and have the codes scanned and make any repairs. Some times not fixing the reason the code is triggered is worse than repairing the problem. With the 1995 for example when the O.D. light blinks people freak out , however some codes pop up because the EEC IV found something else...
  23. D

changed gear while driving...

Did the check engine , or the O.D. light come on ? If not, go have the truck scanned if you have access to a scanner. Just in case. So after the miss shift any other trouble ? If not you should be fine, this is a computer controlled power train and it's some what smarter than the operator...
  24. D

How many Gen IIs do you see a day?

Here in the south they are all over the place. As for the rust issue fix it...Hell if the British can do a rocker panel repair so can you....A die grinder or a 4 1/2 angle grinder and a M.I.G. welder are about it and you can even rent a welder in most tool rental places...So folks get out there...
Back