obd 1 or obd2?

rsw2008

My 95 EX EB
Reaction score
City, State
pine grove, ca.
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 xlt 95 ex eb
I have a 95 explorer eb . ithas the obd1 port under the hood near the master cyl and another one under the dash .is the one under the dash obd2 or what? my scanner wont read any thing. one person told me that 95 was a split year between obd1 and obd2 . can someone please confirm this for me.check engine light is on but not all the time. thanks for any info you may have

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You have a 60 pin ecm, which is obd1. You have 2 wire engine sensors, which is obd1.
However... you have an obd2 trans, and transfer case, a generic electronic module (gem), and the 2nd gen fuel / emmisions. This is what we refer to as obd1.5. You maybe able to pull trans codes off the interior port, but with a trans code only reader.
Vss is obd1, and is read by the transfer case gear, not the rear abs tone ring sensor.
There are more functions used in obd2 setups, such as window control after ignition is turned off, and anti theft system.
All this mix, is why the 95 is called the ******* year.

'96 was the first year for mandatory ODBII in all automobiles. Many manufacturers started using wiring harnesses which included the ODBII diagnostic port during 1995, however it may not be connected to anything that would allow you to pull DTC's. This was the case with a '95 Pontiac I owed. Some late production '95's may have had working ODBII ports, but you probably still have ODBI.

My 94 Mustang GT is ODB1 but also has an unusable ODB2 port. Guess Ford was just getting the wiring harnesses ready.

Thats why I have both obdI and obdII scanners

Get a OBDI code reader that has a digital display and get a OBDII adapter for the rest of the drive train(transmission and all of the other stuff) , yes it will work. The 1995 Explorer uses the EECIV engine computer and the OBDII for everything else ..

Back